Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Space at top of containers

Posted by merlinus 6a/b Northern NM (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 19:43

In general, how much space should be left at the top of containers? Or is it basically irrelevant, as long as the soil is a bit below the rim?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Space at top of containers

Allow for some space for watering.

I use #1 containers and they are very tall for how wide they are. I give them a good 4 inch at the top.

It can be good to plant low if you use potting soil so roots can quikly fill the bottom where the perched water sits.

In this case I only filled half the 5 gal bucket.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 22:36

The taller the soil column, the lower the % of soil that holds perched water at container capacity - so if you fill taller containers (as opposed to partially filling them), the easier they are to grow in. For example, if a soil holds 4" of perched water and the soil column is 8" deep (in a symmetrical container), 50% of the soil is saturated at container capacity; but if the soil column is 12" deep, only 33% of the soil is saturated at container capacity.

Al

o

Tapla,

That is some very very good info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

o

For display purposes my soil level brings my mulch layer even with the top of the container. Is there something that can be used to fill up the bottom to change the percentage from below? That is without messing up drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here