Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinter begonia in z8

Posted by galcho z8 Northwest (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 19:54

Hi, everybody,
Do I need to bring in garage for winter pot with begonia that now is flowering great? If yes, then when: after first frost or before?

If i have some begonia planted outside in soil, do i need to put them in the pots for winter?

Thanks
GK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinter begonia in z8

Are you referring to the large begonia of which there are many ( good reference Logee's Greenhouse, Danielson,Conn ) logee-info@logees.com.I have large angelwing silver spotted begonia and am preparing to bring them in in the next two weeks. Water them good, prune away any overgrown branches, and mine do fine in a northern window with a grow light. They a pretty tough I've found. If you are speaking about the small annuals they really do not do good in the house except perhaps if one has a greenhouse room or Florida room.

o

• Posted by Hoku1 8/Tucson (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 12:18

I live in 8A and I have a begonia on my covered front porch that did not freeze last winter.

o

galcho
I too live in Washington State. I live in the foothills of Enumclaw.I also grow Begonias,and my most favorites are the Tuberous.The way I overwinter mine here is that before first frost,when they get real leggy,I cut them off real close to the bulb. Only the bulb remains,and I dry them outside or in my greenhouse in for several days until they dry out real good.Then I put them in brown paper luch sacks in savings or sawdust and lable the bags of what colors they are Hanging or Non-Hanging and let them be until early spring.I have tried cutting them down and leaving them potted or in baskets but to NO avail.I've done this for the last 12 years and have only lost (1) bulb...because it was not dried out well enough so it rotted.Let them go dormant and keep them cool but do not let them freeze:) ***Suzanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here