Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

help with raised beds!

I plan to use raised beds for gardening next year. People don't recommend growing melons/any type of winter squash in containers because of how much space they take up.

Would it be possible to grow melons and squash in raised beds? Mine are 4' x 4' and 4' x 8'. I plan to grow the melons/squash in the 4' x 8' raised beds.

All the varieties I plan to use are bush types; that is they have short vines, have been bred to grow in compact spaces, and take up less space than traditional vining varieties of melons and squash.

The reason I am seriously considering growing melons and squash in raised beds, is they're bigger than any of the containers I have. They also have no bottoms so the roots of the melons/squash can dig down as deep as they want; yes the beds will be placed on soil.

I was also wondering if I could grow corn in raised beds. They are very small in height (4' to 4-1/2' with smallest; 5' to 5-1/2' with the tallest) which also allows for closer spacing.

Comments (2)

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

Note this is the container gardening forum, you might get more responses in another one..

But yes of course! Remember to transplant them when very young, or direct seed them. I like using the vining types because it allows you to grow *up* in limited spaces. A strong trellis or melon arbor can multiply your effective gardening space by many times. If you grow watermelons, canteloupes, honeydews, or similar large melons, growing dwarf/small fruited types will significantly increase your chances of success. I grew sugarbaby watermelons this year, and was overjoyed with the results.

And yes, you can grow corn in raised beds.. it's just not really worth the space in my opinion. If you do grow it, make sure to grow the extra sweet varieties!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Yes, but they still take up a lot of space. Go for it!