Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

Revision 1.8 of the EarthTainer Construction Guide Now Available

rnewste
14 years ago

I've updated the Construction Guide September 3, with additional techniques and planting recommendations. Here is the direct link:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer II WaterMizer Edition Guide Rev 1.8

Comments (3)

• donna_h
    14 years ago

Thanks Raybo!

I have a question: What is the effective life of your EarthTainer when constructed out of Rubbermaid materials? And have you found that you must supplement with additional fertilizer about halfway through the season? The tomatoes pictured in your booklet are HUGE!!!

Donna H.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna,

The Rubbermaid containers are not "outdoor certified". They will over time be impacted to UV. If you do some techniques like rotate them 180 degrees each year so the other side other 'Tainer is "exposed" then you will get maximum use from it. Covering the lid section with a 1 inch layer of bark fines will also help protect the cover area. I have seen where someone wrapped bamboo curtains around them, which looked kind of nice. Also, you should store them inside or cover with a tarp when not growing in them to mitigate the UV exposure.

My goal is to get 7 years life from the outer container, then I will replace the outer shell, use the old one as a new aeration bench for another new 'Tainer. This will work out to be about $1.85 replacement expense on an annual basis.

Regarding fertilizer pattern and frequency, in the Rev 1.8 Guide I am recommending that in addition to the 2 cups in the top layer fertilizer strips, that you mix in 1 cup of Starter fertilizer containing Mycorise at the same time you are adding in the Dolomite Lime.

I have also seen some people (justaguy) use a water soluble fertilizer where they put some down the filler tube on a periodic basis. You will need to experiment with amount and frequency to find the optimum results in your specific environment.

Raybo

• donna_h
    14 years ago

Thank you Raybo. 7 years is a good amount of time for the 'Tainers. And using salvaged parts for a new one is thrifty as well.

I briefly scanned through your revised version and printed it as I am planning to switch to this specific type of growing container for my tomatoes, but I did not catch your fertilizer recommendations. Thank you for clarifying that point for me.

Donna H.