Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regular containers or SWCs?

Posted by olivesmom (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 23:03

I'm thinking about next spring and I'd like to do some gardening in my tiny backyard in the Seattle suburbs. I'm considering using galvanized watering troughs as I really like the aesthetic and size-wize I think two would be perfect. I'm just not sure if I should attempt to make them SWCs or just drill holes in the bottom. I found some pretty good instructions on turning watering troughs into SWCs from Mary Jane's Farm. Even though it would be more work I'm leaning towards doing SWC. The summer can be quite dry and my south facing backyard really cooks. I'm also not the best about watering enough during summer.

Has anyone here used watering troughs for either SWCs or just container gardening? With respect to SWCs, any suggestions for screen material? The instructions linked below use a material that has to be ordered and also cut with a jig (which I don't own). I'd like to find something locally that I can cut without major tools.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse Trough SWC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regular containers or SWCs?

Used SWCs for many years, but have found a regular container with a timed drip system works better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here