Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Anything You Wanna Talk About 3 (prolly mostly OT)

Just a thread to gather and talk about whatever ...... like the last one. It doesn't necessarily have to be about plants.

Here's an interesting picture of the worlds largest hanging basket.

PADDINGTON, LONDON, UK -- A giant basket was created to mark the opening of Hotel Indigo London Paddington. It measures over 20ft by 10ft, weight over 250 kilos, hangs 7.5 metres (25 feet) from the ground off the side of the building and contains over 100 types of flowers including orchids, roses and conifers, setting the world record for the largest hanging basket.

It even took a team of workers over EIGHT hours to hang from the front of the Hotel Indigo, in Paddington, though it looks more like the hotel is hanging from it.

Al

Comments (149)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

....Oh, and what to do with those spoiling Jack-o-Lanterns? ;-)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jodi - like "Throw me down the stairs a quarter?"

Filix - you're still the elephant ear king, as far as I'm concerned. I had some 4 foot leaves this year, but I'm certain the leaves on yours were much larger. If mine over-winters ok in the garage, I'll try again next year to top you, with a 2 year old plant, but you still da man! Show us your picture!

Josh - feed those punkins to the deer & bears ...... and the birds/critters LOVE the seeds, if you don't roast them for yourself.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Wow Josh! I wish I could be up close and personal with that Moss, Thank so much for thinking of me!

Hello Jodik, Al, Jojo, Felix and many others. I

It was 65 at 7am this morning then a thunderstorm rolled in, it hailed and dropped to 45 degrees within 10 minutes! It was showery all day, but at the end of the day, this is what I saw at a friends home. I wanted to share:-)

{{gwi:50814}}

{{gwi:50815}}

{{gwi:50816}}

{{gwi:50819}}

The colors were amazing tonight. Get a good rest all:-)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Good one, Al! :-)

Beautiful shots, Josh! I love those mossy rocks!

Two days ago, the weather here was sunny and gorgeous! It was t-shirt weather, so I managed to get most of my winter prep work done outside... whew! I pulled my hip out doing it, and since everything is connected in one way or another, my ankle on that side felt like it was sprained.

Lucky for me, the old man is fantastic at putting me back together... learned from many years in martial arts training. I feel almost as good as new! Then, wouldn't you know it, the weather takes a huge dive and we end up with cold, wicked winds, cold rains, and just all around yucky weather. So, now my bones and joints are protesting. Today was fairly mild, but still chilly, and last night we got a wicked frost!

The only thing I have yet to do is wait for a hard freeze so all the potted stock goes into dormancy, and get it all packed away for winter. What a job that's going to be!

The area you live in is so beautiful! The woods beg to be hiked, and I can almost smell that wonderful aroma of a good campfire!

Well... it's been a very long day for me... I'm pooped. It's time to relax and give this old body a little rest.

Have a great tomorrow, everybody! :-)

11 years ago

Hey!

Al, I wasn't there for the carving (gutting of seeds), nor was it my pumpkin....
    I just show up to burn the dang things ;-)

Mike, great shots. A very pleasing color palette...soft pinks, golds, oranges.
    Your high of 65F beat my high of 64F, believe it or not! We're down to a reasonable 45F now (10:10pm).

Jodi, I remind myself every day how lucky I am to live here. I actually availed myself
    of some hiking this afternoon. I had the trails all to myself...didn't pass another hiker
    in the two hours I was out. I went off-trail for a while, and came upon some neat sights.
    I hope you're all rested up, Jodi! I'll keep the fireside warm for ya.

A shot from today's hike...Mike, I thought you'd like some more moss ;-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hey Josh!
    Did you forget I love moss too! ;-) Why does Mike get it all? lol..

So Beautiful!!! We don't see much of it here! My hikes aren't as green as yours. lol...

A squirrel ate Jace's pumpkin! LOL! The next morning it was pretty chewed up. :-)

Mike, beautiful pictures!! Yours too Josh!!

Jodi, I hope your doing better! I know too well about overdoing it at times. I started to tear out the oleanders this summer, wow! What a job!! I've been the past few days getting ready for winter too.

We did have a cold few days, but getting back to where we should be. High today will be in the 70's! But we did drop to about 60* for a day or 2. High 40's to low 50's at night. I know, no one is feeling sorry for me. lol..

Hey, did anyone see the pictures I posted up thread a ways of the table my dad made me? I'm not fishing for compliments, but no one has mentioned it, which for a few here I know is odd, and I feel like it's invisible. ROFL! just wondering if you all see it, or is my computer playing games with my mind.

Well.. I'm off today for a much needed escape with my mom shopping. I'm broke, but am her taxi, and she needs to shop. lol..
    My Jeep broke down a few weeks ago to the point of needing a tow home. $65! :-( Im so sad about that! no telling when Mike will get to it. So for now I have his truck! It's a lot compared to what I'm used to driving, but I'm doing better about not catching curbs with the back end when I turn. LOL! I'm used to a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, now am driving a F250, extended cab, long bed! lol...

Everyone have a good day! I'll look in later. :-)

JoJo

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

A furniture dealer from Knoxville, Tennessee, decided that he wanted to expand the line of furniture in his store, so he decided to go to Paris, France to see what he could find.

After arriving in Paris (this being his first trip to the French capitol), he met with some manufacturers and finally selected a line that he thought would sell well back home in Tennessee.

To celebrate the new acquisition, he decided to visit a small bistro and have a glass of wine. As he sat enjoying his wine, he noticed that the small place was quite crowded, and that the one other chair at his table was the only vacant seat in the house.

Before long, a very beautiful young Parisian woman came to his table, asked him something in French (which he did not understand), and motioned toward the chair.

He invited her to sit down. He tried to speak to her in English, but she did not speak his language so, after a couple of minutes of trying to communicate with her, he took a napkin and drew a picture of a wine glass and showed it her. She nodded, and he ordered a glass of wine for her.

After sitting together at the table for a while, he took another napkin, and drew a picture of a plate with food on it, and she nodded.

They left the bistro and found a quiet cafe that featured a small group playing romantic music. They ordered dinner, after which he took another napkin and drew a picture of a couple dancing. She nodded, and they got up to dance. They danced until the cafe closed and the band was packing up.
    Back at their table, the young lady took a napkin and drew a picture of a four-poster bed.
    To this day, he has no idea how she figured out he was in the furniture business.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, JoJo... my mind has been elsewhere. It's a cool table... and I like how it flips out to become a tray table. Very nice! And storage space, to boot! Excellent gift! Your Dad is very handy! That's the only thing my husband can't do... work with wood. Carpentry and woodworking are just not his thing. :-)

Another lovely photo, Josh... gosh, look at all that moss! I love camping, sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmallows or making s'mores... which, believe it or not, I had for the first time ever this past summer! Delicious!

Cool rainbow shot, Mike! Nice colors! I've been too lazy to upload my camera lately, but I caught some good shots, myself, of a few things... like the last roses of the season, and whatnot. I'll try to remember to get that done in the morning. For right now... I'm just physically done in and need to rest.

Thank you for all the nice thoughts and good wishes, everyone. My body is failing me, and there's nothing I can do about it, but try to take it slower and rest when needed. My problem is... I have so much to do, and I'm frustrated by the fact that my body refuses to cooperate! I'll live... I just have to learn my limitations! :-)

Wishing you all a good evening... and a nice tomorrow! :-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Jodik!
    Thanks!! What a relief! I was starting to worry I was the only one seeing it! ROFL!!

He's made the family some amazing picture frames and small pieces of furniture!
    His wood shop is large enough to hold 6 medium size vehicles! He used to be a mechanic and built the wood shop when he sold the auto repair business!

Wood working isn't for everyone! ;-) My dad couldn't get around a computer like Larry. ;-)

Mom and I went shopping today and she got me "a little black dress"! for an early b-day present!! You'd love it Jodik, kinda a cowl neck. I'll send pics later. ;-)

Girl, I wish I lived closer to you, or you lived here! I wish I could help you with things you need to do! I want to travel and spend time with a few here in the next year or so. ;-)
    Get some rest!!

That moss is just breathtaking! I may have to print that one and hang it on the wall in my plant room! :-)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Jojo..I too am very sorry! I saw that table, but I think that day and found myself stuffing meyself into it and slamming the door shut!

It's been tough with tiredness, the weather changes, dealing with morons, and trying to keep the dang squirrels out of my moss planter, oh yes, and covering my pond up so it won't freeze this early and killing off those dreaded mice!!! Thanks so much Jodik for your help on that!

Jojo, really, when I saw it, I was in love with it and decided to invite myself into one of it's holding spaces:-)
    It's beautiful and great craftsmanship!

By the way, have I already told you how much I and I am sure many others are to have you back in our arms! My Mom loves quite a few of you here, and believe me when I tell you that it was not the same with you missing in action Jojo.

Sheesh, I wished I lived closer to Josh with all that Moss, Bonfires, drinks, and stuff, and then still you all. I guess Wes and I are lucky to live in the same state:-0)
    Any time I need anything, he would help.

Thanks for the comments on my pictures! Yes, that was a very first time I ever saw a sunset like that here. It was a very weird day with thunder showers and then freezing cold weather.
    The only plants left outside and brought in at night are my Olive Trees.

Jojo and Jodik, isn't that Moss just amazing?! It's even on the trees. I have never seen anything like that. I had a talk with Josh the other day and I told him I would love to go for a hike with him. Maybe some day we will. It's free to walk through nature and yet so breath taking.

Jojo and Jodik..HUGS and handshakes to all my guy friends here. I hope our buddy 'Al' is ok. My mother is always wondering where he is.

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Ooh! What a coincidence, JoJo! I finally got myself a "little black dress", only it's grey! It's a knit, cowl neck (like yours)... and I got a sheer, animal print/stripe over piece for it in black and a grey/white. It comes to just above the knee, so it can be formal... or not.

I actually got it for my son's wedding. I wore it with grey suede ankle boots with heels, matching hose, and it actually looked pretty fantastic! I paired it with pearl teardrop earrings (that I made), and a silver locket necklace. Boy, were my feet killing me by the end of the evening! I just can't wear heels anymore! :-)

Congratulations on the "little black dress"! THE staple clothing article every woman should have in her closet! ;-)

Larry's shop is actually in the tiny apartment we share. I call it "Frankenstein's Lab! He's got a large desk/table set up in a window alcove, with a magnifying light, soldering equipment, Dreml and accessories, and all his tools and parts. It's across the room from my plant window alcove, so I have to keep humidity rather low. I've been thinking of setting up a little table top fountain, though... that should help me, and not bother him too much.

Speaking of... I did another round of work today on plant cleanup. I managed to rescue a few bulblets that were buried under the soil surface in some pots, and actually discovered that my little white fairy lilies are still alive... they were just resting. :-)

All in all, I've lost a lot of bulbs... too many to count. But surprisingly, my collection still contains many of my favorites, and many of the more rare and unusual types! I guess the Narcissus Bulb Fly prefers the larger hybrids, thank goodness! Actually, I think I just got lucky.

I did manage to upload a few photos this morning, and have a few prepared for show and tell...

This is Rosie, my bed buddy...
    {{gwi:50820}}

Lycoris Squamigera, also known as Naked Ladies!
    {{gwi:50821}}

Belamcanda, grown for the first time. These are in gallon pots.
    {{gwi:50822}}

Crepe Myrtle, which normally doesn't do well this far north... except for a very few varieties.
    {{gwi:50823}}

Another Crepe Myrtle...
    {{gwi:50824}}

One side of the new Trellis garden, planted with Rose "Eden", Daylily "Wild Horses" and another that I can't name at the moment, some Coral Bells... and it looks like some burdock, which you can ignore! ;-)
    {{gwi:50825}}

These are a few Roses of this past season, very few which I'm able to name without checking tags!

{{gwi:50826}}

{{gwi:50827}}

{{gwi:50828}}

{{gwi:50829}}

{{gwi:50830}}

{{gwi:50831}}

{{gwi:50833}}

I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoy growing them!

JoJo, if we lived close to each other, we'd get into too much gardening trouble! Can you imagine the number of plants we could grow together?!! ;-) But really, it would be nice... we'd each have the other to help when the need arose. I'd like that. :-)

Well... another exhausting day goes in the books. I accomplished a lot, and I'm very satisfied at the progress I'm making. At this rate, I might actually get everything done before snow hits... knock on wood!

Have a great evening, and a pleasant tomorrow. (Gee, I sound like a newscaster.)

Happy Gardening! :-)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Love all of the beautiful pics!!

Jodi.. The roses are stunning and "Rosie" is such a sweetheart!! Love her!!

Josh.. The fire makes me want to roast marshmellows and sit and listen to what is in the woods on a cold night..

The pic of the trees with all of the moss looks like a pic from a hiking magazine. Just beautiful!!

Jojo.. You are so lucky to have you dad around.. That was very nice of him to make that for you!! Looks wonderful!!

Mike.. Love the rainbows.. just gorgeous!! Now, to go and find the "pot of gold.." :-)

Al.. Had to laugh .. Way to funny!! I need to take a pic of this family business that is on my way to work. I have always thought that i need to take a pic and send it to the Jay Leno Show. I will stop soon and then post. Way to funny!!

Rina... Love yours too! Made me chuckle!!

MrLike2u.. Cute!!

Take care!!

Laura

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I read through this and laughed at the jokes, admired the pictures, and had a good time. I can't believe that it took so long for comments to happen for jojo's end table. I know it isn't a plant or a pup, but it's really neat! And I love mountains so I loved haxuan's pic too. And all the tiny plants are clever. I inherited a property with about 40 roses, and one of the few that had a tag looks like jodik's third one down. Mine is "Nancy Reagan", so maybe that is what it is. I'm no expert, though. I don't know much about roses. And I like seeing the cotton in the field. I enjoy seeing the crops growing around here, especially sunflowers. When I first moved here I was driving across South Dakota and stopped at about every overpass to take a picture of the wind blowing through the corn, beans, etc. It's lovely.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

A good guess, thank you, Aseedisapromise... but I'm sure it's not "Nancy Reagan". I'd remember if I saw that name tag come through as I was potting up new arrivals. It may be a Buck... I'm thinking possibly something like "Winter Sunset", or it could be "Aloha". Those two sound familiar without researching, or going out to search down tags.

Congratulations on your new property of roses! This is an exciting time for rose growers in northern climes... there's so much being done in the hybridizing of truly winter hardy rose varieties! I attached a link at the bottom of my post that you might enjoy... if you haven't already found them! I love to drool over the photographs! :-)

Every rose we have is own-root, none are Tea Roses, and all must be able to withstand our harsh winters with little else but a layer of mulch. We've found that own-root plants survive much better, so we avoid grafted plants. Old Garden Roses, Buck Roses, the Canadian Series, and several other groups of roses do very well in northern zones, many without any protection, aside from a little mulch!

I hate plants that require too much fussing, so we grow only plants that can pretty much take care of themselves... aside from an occasional pruning, feeding, and mulching. I lay soaker hoses out every spring, threading them through the beds so I can conserve water in dry weather, and keep the moisture at the root zone where it's needed.

Many of our roses are old ramblers, climbers, species, shrubs, and miniatures... though we do have a few David Austin English roses and a few with German origins out in the beds. We also have a few Knock Out Roses in various colors, and they are so carefree, I almost feel like I'm cheating when I grow them!

Thanks, Laura! I wish the picture of Rosie didn't show that odd "night vision" reflection in her eyes, and the photo makes her look totally undershot, though she's not. She's got a bit of an under bite, and usually looks adorable with only the one snaggle tooth sticking out. It's a bad picture, but the only one I have at the moment. Every time she sees the camera, she can't, and won't, hold still... you know how it is! :-)

As a footnote, my computer automatically installed some Windows updates last night, and for some reason, they made my whole system go haywire! My desktop files are now hidden somewhere, my email is devoid of its folders and address book, and I couldn't remember my passwords for half the things that normally load automatically upon a reboot! So, if I don't answer any email for a few days, you know why! The old man has to dive in and see what happened. Leave it to Microsoft to make a mess!

I should just switch my OS to Linux, and be done with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

It's "Winter Sunset"... the third rose down, that is. It's a selection from Dr. Griffith Buck. And across from "Eden" on the trellis in the new area, I've got "Joseph's Coat" planted, both climbing roses that should nicely fill the new trellis within a few years. This is my second attempt at growing Joseph's Coat, but I'm hopeful it will thrive this time. Along the fence behind the other side of the new trellis is "Henry Kelsey", I do believe, along with another couple of old garden ramblers with small blooms in white shades, and a Trumpet Vine with orange blooms that grows interesting elongated seed pods.

When we first began putting together a winter hardy rose collection, it was with the intention of using them as stock plants in a demo garden that could be propagated to create a small niche business, selling old garden roses, and other rare, unique, or hard to find roses, plus companion perennials, all hardy enough for northern gardens and ease of growing.

It's slow going, but the economy isn't the greatest right now. We can never compete with the larger box stores, and we'll never get rich, but that's not the intent, anyway. Customer satisfaction, quality items, and personalized service are. There's nothing quite like it in our locality, so I think we'll be okay.

Anyway... enough about roses... just wanted to ensure the correct variety name. I'll do my best to accurately name any others if someone wants to know.

Happy Gardening!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Oh! There are a lot of things I could learn about roses, and you gave me a good link! I guess it's like the old hammer-nail thing: Give Barb a rose name, and that must be the name of all the roses that color. I really have done nothing to my roses which I think are mostly tea roses, but I don't really know. We had a very warm winter, like it was never below -5 F, and that was only overnight, so they all came through the winter unscathed. They never got very disease-y last summer, and I know which are the problematic ones. I gave about 15 away this last spring, and will give away about twenty more I think next spring. Two are pink and very double, smell very nice, and someone on the rose forum said they looked like David Austin roses. They are very tall, like seven + ft canes and they do look like a rose on your site, but I don't know. I like them and will keep them, but they are crowded together in a small corner with a honeysuckle, so the competition is fierce. They are also right by where my husband walks to his shop, and he will take a lopper to them when he is irritated. He hates prickly things. So I think I will have to see if I can move them next spring. Anyway, I don't have time or inclination to do all the rose care things so they really aren't the plant for me.

About the dog story: I have had a dog that went blind, and they get along fine. Actually, it is really interesting to see how they behave, and to figure out how you can help them. We lived in town at the time, and so my blind dog figured out that if you walk down the sidewalks, you don't run into things much. It's just when you walk on the grass you run into for sale signs, tricycles and such. So she would never get too lost as she just would go around the block if she got out of the yard. Also, that guy can't do all the shows like he did with the dog, but because the dog already listens so closely to what he says, he can really help the dog, because a blind dog really will listen. I could talk my dog through things, like warn her of steps, curbs and things, and she would slow down and feel her way then. He may find there are still things he can do with the dog even show-wise, but different things. But it is sad when they get sick. With my dog it was an auto-immune problem that caused the blindness, and that continued to plague her in other ways beyond the blindness.

Computers are such miracles and time savers, until they eat your life. Good luck getting things straightened out jodik!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!
    My dogs seem to think that mom doesn't need to sleep in, so here I am! lol..

I got a box turtle yesterday!! Hubby sends me a text saying "you got a little tortoise"! I was so excited and couldn't text back to ask questions (was driving)! LOL! The girl across the street didn't have time for hers anymore, so she gave it to me! I just LOVE them! So this weekend we will spend getting it's mansion set up and figure out some foods it likes. lol..

Jodi, Mike,Laura & aseedisapromise, thanks for the kind words about my table. :-)
    I really was worried no one saw it. LOL! You know how computers are! ;-) I love hanging out in the wood shop and watching dad work on things. Gosh, I helped build the wood shop! LOL!
    At the moment the table is in the plant/craft room and is my desk for my laptop. The other is in the living room.

Jodik! I remember you telling us about your "little black dress" I even commented to mom about it when buying mine. lol.. she knows how we are, and I told her to add 1 more thing to our "the same" list. I love the cowl neck style! And this has a grey design on the bottom. would love grey suede boot, but can't find one I like. Got animal print clothes this season to for the volunteering I do at the unemployment office. Not used to these kind of clothes and feel funny all dressed up! but have no choice really. Life is now high maintenance and I hate it . lol..

OH what a face on Rosie!! so precious!!! It says "here I am, aint I a cutie!"

Mike, I'm sorry you had such a crummy day! And have so much to do! I don't know how you keep up with it all and work. I know all too much about dealing with morons too! lol.. Wish I was closer to you too, to give you a hand. We have a few less mice, but the cat doesn't get the credit. lol..

"""By the way, have I already told you how much I and I am sure many others are to have you back in our arms! My Mom loves quite a few of you here, and believe me when I tell you that it was not the same with you missing in action Jojo. """
    Mike thank you so much! It means a lot to me to be back here. I couldn't have gotten through any of this without you guys! I know I didn't keep in touch much, but just knowing I had you went a long way!!! Talking to you and mom helped so much! Well.. when I wasn't crying. lol...

Jodi~ If we lived closer we'd get in too much trouble no matter what we did!!! ROFL!! I can just see us in a jail cell saying "damn that was fun" and our guys trying to figure out what to do with us. LOL!!!!

Well...
    I need to run now. It's chilly, but not bad out so I am going to get outside and do some work. A lot to do before the weather turns cold.

Take care all! I'll be back later with a few pictures. :-)

JoJo

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, guys! I don't get around here as much as I used to. Everyone is so good at answering all the questions that I feel confident all the askers will get good responses, and I'm perfectly happy with you guys getting the credit for helping others out. Still, I suppose I should follow this thread a little more closely. ;-)

I saw JJ's picture late in the evening on the day she posted, but it was late & time for bed, so I figured I'd save comment for the next day. By the time I got back to the thread, there had been a number of responses & I* guess I didn't scroll upthread far enough to see the pic again (I need reminders to remember all the things I should) so I missed commenting on it. Thas my bad!

As glaziers (glass & storefront installers), our work is pretty meticulous - sort of like finished carpentry). The word "thousandths", meaning thousandths of an inch, is a very regular and common part of our every-day vernacular, so it shouldn't be surprising that I appreciate good work. When guys bring their woodworking pieces into the shop, I'm always interested to see how they're made, and particularly how WELL they're made, and I can see that your piece is not only functional, but well-made as well. You should feel blessed to be on the receiving end of your dad's fine craftsmanship!

I enjoyed everyone elses's pictures, too - Jodi, Mike, Josh ..... I hope I didn't miss anyone. It sounds like an add for a dating page, but I love sunsets and walks in the mossy woods. ;-) Basically, I just like things that put me in close touch with nature, and I always enjoy the pics of Jodi's garden and plants. I know all the regulars have seen the bird pics before, but for the newbies:

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Al, I never get tired of seeing the pictures you post, in fact I love it when I see them again, especially of the birds and the frogs..lol
    You and Josh and I are a lot alike when it comes to simple things such as a walk in the woods to see moss and sunsets, thunderstorms, nature in general. I am in my happiest place when walking about the woods and the earthy smell that permeates the air, especially right at dusk.
    It's good to see you and my Mom says to send you a hug! She loves the bird too.

Jojo, now what name shall w call your 'turtle'?! I saw the text you sent me but I lost my charger to respond to you right away and so I thought I would tell you here of how excited I am for you! One of my good friends actually owns 6 of them and keeps them in a pen! He rescued them all from the Humane Society. They are so awesome and now I want one:-)
    Yes, and I mean that about you being back. Please stay here and stay active. Thank goodness we have you at the Cactus forum, and now we just need you at the houseplant one too.

Aseedisapromise..I love that story about the dog. Thanks:-)

Jodik! You are rich in sprit, freinds, family, and lovely flowers! You deserve the best! Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures with us that always pick me up! Oh, I can smell the roses from here.
    You do have some of the best pictures around next to Jojo. Oh, how I LOVE the bug pics too..
    Where is the picture of the Praying Mantis?
    Could YOU and JOJO please post your Praying Mantis ones? I would love to see them again:-)

Laura, how are you!? Well I may not of found the pot of gold just yet, but still looking and when I do, I will share:-)
    How's the pool these days and your Plumies? Is the weather mild thus far?
    I miss you.

Jodik, looking back up thread, I LOVE LOVE the light colored peach rose. The fifth one up from the bottom. Does it smell good? Wow!

Rosie is a Dog!!! Doll, actually...lol I just love that dog. I also like Charlie. How's he been? That cute goat..lol

Mice, mice, mice, is right! I am finding dead ones now. Jodik, you are a lifesaver for us here Thank you!

Josh, NEVER in my life have I ever seen moss on trees like that! You are so lucky to see that and walk through it. I only wish...:-(
    Thank you for taking me there in photo. Oh, how it looks so earthy and must smell so good! Hope you are well I owe you!

Wes, hope you are doing ok tonight:-)

Good night to all my great friends here.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one:

Al

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Beautiful Al!
    Love seeing your bird again too! You know how partial I am to them. ;-)

Mike, not sure what all I still have but will look through photos tonight. :-)

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you, Al! Great praying mantis photo, and it seems to be posing, too... like it knows you're photographing it! :-)

Like Mike, I never get tired of seeing those little birds eating out of your hand, Al... those are special pictures!

It would take me forever and a day to dig through my files and come up with my praying mantis pictures, but I'll give it a try, Mike... give me a day or two. We're still dealing with Microsoft update glitches! Larry is so busy that he actually turned my machine over to someone else to locate the problems and get it cleaned up! :-)

From what I'm hearing, this is supposed to be a terrible year for rodents of most kinds. Conditions conspired to allow a very large population to breed, and they're beginning to look for winter warmth.

The moment farmers begin harvesting fields, or weather gets too wet or too cold, mice and field rats, moles and voles and other tiny critters begin heading for the safety of human abodes, out-buildings, yards and gardens... anywhere safe and warm where a food supply and bedding materials exist.

Cats will have a hard time keeping up with the job this year, so it's time to employ backup tactics... either traps, or use some decent poison. Rodent poisons are not all created equally... there are better ones, which only licensed exterminators have access to... and then there's Hawk brand, available at most farm oriented stores. To date, it's the only rodent poison sold retail that we've found to actually work. And there's no carry-over, so if your pets were to eat a mouse that had ingested the poison, the pet would not be harmed.

The key is to take care and not allow your pets or children to locate and get their hands on the poison, itself. I normally get the envelopes of pellets, but the last time we went to get some, all they had left were those blocks. Not my favorite, but the brand was right, and we knew they would work.

Aseedisapromise, you can certainly successfully move roses... or, you can trim them back severely so they stay out of your husband's way for quite a while before requiring another pruning.

I may be wrong, but I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say that if you live in zone 4, what you have are probably NOT Tea Roses, for the most part. Tea Roses are generally not bred for cold hardiness, and require more care and fussing than many other types. Also, very few David Austins and English type roses can survive zone 4 gardens... but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of registered and unregistered varieties, and many bloom shapes do mimic Tea or English roses in look and shape, if not in size.

I would guess you have a lovely collection of old garden roses, depending on how long they've been cultivated in the same spot. Many Shrub, Floribunda, Species, Polyantha, Ramblers and Climbers, Rugosa, Damask, and tons of Old Garden and Cemetery Roses, plus a number of other types can all bloom and be kept pruned and shaped much like Tea Roses, but are hardier to your particular zone.

I'm not saying you DON'T or CAN'T have Tea Roses... there are several varieties that can withstand the frigid winters of the north with proper care. There are just so many varieties out there, that without tags it's almost impossible to properly name them all with total accuracy.

In my time dealing with roses, I've learned a thing or two... and believe me, the rose world is very adamant about sticking with their various schools of thought... and one of the things I've learned is that by avoiding grafted roses, and planting own-root instead, you can gain a gardening zone or two in hardiness; there's no sensitive graft to protect.

Another thing I've learned is that there is no "right" way to prune. As long as the plant, itself, is well-established and growing fine, you can shape a climber to keep it short, keep ramblers from rambling everywhere, keep errant growers looking more like shrubs, etc... some folks swear fall pruning is the way to go, while others maintain spring is the only time to prune.

I prune when I feel a rose needs a little shaping, and in early spring... just when the leaf buds are beginning to form, I remove all the dead wood and do shaping at that time.

We have so many roses that I can't keep up with deadheading, and a lot of our plants are allowed to fend for themselves.

The only things I do religiously are keep a decent layer of mulch in the rose beds, and use a bit of systemic insecticide/fungicide/miticide in very early spring to help some less tough varieties fight off early spring aphid infestations. Before adding more mulch, I usually try to add a little composted manure to feed them.

Once we pass from very early spring into spring, itself, the Praying Mantis cases are hatching their little babies, and by mid summer they're big enough to take care of any insect issues... aside from Japanese Beetles, which can strip many plant types bare.

I try to be as organic in the gardens as I possibly can, with the singular exception of helping with an over populations of aphids or spidermites... otherwise, I leave things to Mother Nature because I simply don't have the time, or the physical capabilities, to fuss with so many plants.

I've left another link at the bottom of this post. It's an indispensable source for helping to locate rose information. Also, if you Google roses for your area, you'll most likely come up with a lot of great information to pore over.

I just love roses... and since getting more involved in the cultivation of them, I can easily see why roses are one of America's favorite landscape flower! :-)

Mike, if I can, I'll try to get new shots of Charlie. He's an adult now, and being used as a stud within the herd. You can easily tell which young goats are his offspring... his coloration is very genetically dominant! He also has the attributes that make him a great stud... he loves the ladies, and is up for the chase! :-)

JoJo, we'd have to begin a fund for bail money if we lived close to one another! I can see the local headlines now... "The Jodi's Are At It Again!"... and the stories would make the police blotter every weekend, to the utter embarrassment of our families! The canisters on our kitchen counters would read: Flour, Sugar, Coffee, Tea, Salt, Bail, etc... ;-)

Congrats on your new Turtle! Where will you keep it? Do you have tanks or a pond?

Would you believe I only own two dresses, and one or two fancy outfits with dress pants? I'm low maintenance, and think of myself as a "cheap date"! ;-) If the old man spends any money on me, I'd prefer it were a book or a live plant! I value my comfort, and go more for jeans or yoga pants, pull over shirts or sweaters, hippie style clothing, and either sandals or cowboy boots. I refuse to "dress my age", and I hate wearing makeup and fussing with my hair.

If I can, I'll also try to photograph Rosie a little better... she's quite the character. We call her our "little Gremlin" or "the Grinch". She's your typical Olde Bulldogge... very people oriented, with a streak of mischief and a fire in the pit of her belly! I pity the fool who tries to mess with me! She may only top 30 pounds or so, but as a member of the bulldog clan, she doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit", and has the biggest heart in the canine kingdom!

Laura, I found a great spot in a southern window to over winter the Plumeria, and it seems happy. In spring, I'll give it fresh medium and let it summer outdoors.

I, too, am enjoying all shared photos... and like the rest of you, I prefer being close to nature... whether it's just puttering around the gardens, camping with my kids and grandkids at our old property, or just watching the birds and other critters around here.

Hiking in Josh's mossy woods sounds so wonderful, but I know I'd never be able to keep up with you guys and gals! I can barely make a morning jog around the inner dog yard with Rosie! And taking care of everything I do here is getting more difficult as time passes.

Still, I can't complain. I'm surrounded by that which I love... and there are too few people in this world that can say with honesty they love their jobs. I just have to remind myself to go slow, and take it easy, accomplishing one task at a time... and to ask for help when a job is too much. Getting older sucks, but having your body betray you before you're ready to throw in the towel is the truly difficult part. For those who don't know, I have Lupus, and I was a victim in an auto accident several years ago that left me with permanent injuries. But stuff happens, and we keep pushing forward. Life is too short to sit in a puddle of self pity... and there's so much I don't want to miss, and so much I still want to do and learn! :-)

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone... I promised myself I'd finish up my indoor growing area today, so I have to get started on that...

You all have a great day! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find (Roses, Peonies, Clematis)

11 years ago

Good Morning, Friends! Al, Jodi, JoJo, Laura, Mike, Wes, and anyone else I missed ;-)

Well, my apologies for falling behind! The week finished out rather busy,
    and then yesterday was the annual Mountain Mandarin Festival....alas, I couldn't take pictures
    due to the intense rainfall. My friends and I were all soaked after a couple hours of strolling around
    and sampling all the Owari Satsumas that were grown this year. We finally settled on the very best fruit
    and then bought our bags of mandarin (before heading to the cars). Then it was out to Georgetown to man
    another fire-pit. A wet, drippy affair.

JoJo, the woodworking your dad did is remarkable. Very clean inlay for sure, and those three-quarter
    "legs" or spindles mounted to the corners are great. I'm impressed. I've only done limited woodworking,
    making knife handles, et cetera, but I love the smell of various woods and just being in a workshop.

Jodi, the trails are a little treacherous here, especially when the leaf-drift is thick and the
    underlying soil loose from rain and run-off. But I know a few trails that would be more accomodating....
    of course, the best places to go are those where few people dare :-)

I know I've posted this pic in the past....I went there the other day, but the lighting wasn't
    right and so I couldn't get a better pic.

{{gwi:50776}}

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

That is awesome moss! I can imagine the conditions that must be consistently present to allow growth like that! Wow! So cool!

Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like something you might see in New Zealand, or a temperate rain forest! Cool pic.

Al

11 years ago

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed!
    It's the northern slope of a wooded ridge, and the entire area stays quite cool.
    There is water above to the left, and there is water below to the right. The oaks do well,
    but the conifers struggle in the shade. I will see if I have any video that looks decent.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Good Morning! I spent a little time getting more photos uploaded to my album of this past season. Most were taken in later summer or autumn, and most are of roses or the various beds... I document the growth of our gardens every year, starting at the time of the very first Crocus, and ending when frost finally gets the better of everything.

Thank goodness for digital cameras... I probably take thousands of photos each season! Not all are clear or good enough to make the grade, but many go into the albums every year.

I thought I'd share a few more... enjoy!

A deep, saturated yellow/gold rose... you can see a Japanese beetle enjoying a meal, the bane of my existence, garden-wise!
    {{gwi:50834}}

Lavender and Autumn Joy grow in front of "Sally Holmes" at this corner of a long rose bed...
    {{gwi:50835}}

"Climbing White Iceberg", a favorite in the west garden.
    {{gwi:50836}}

This has to be one of my favorites... look at that color!
    {{gwi:50837}}

This is what greets me every day on my walk to the garage to exit to the kennel or the yard and gardens... "Red Cascade".
    {{gwi:50838}}

Part of the west bed, with a single red "Knock Out" and a gorgeous orange "Buck" type rose. This is a mixed perennial bed with Clematis, tons of spring bulbs, Mums, Phlox, Gaillardia, and much more...
    {{gwi:50839}}

Not sure of the name, but a lovely white bud, nonetheless.
    {{gwi:50840}}

A pink Rose of Sharon coming into its own...
    {{gwi:50841}}

A very deep red, touched slightly by a chilly night...
    {{gwi:50842}}

A gorgeous pink shaped more like a Tea rose...
    {{gwi:50843}}

And finally, a lovely pink...
    {{gwi:50844}}

From spring until late fall, there is always something blooming, and the scents wafting through the yard on the breeze are incredible! It's taken me almost 7 years, but I've built a yard filled with various beds of every kind of tree, shrub, bulb, perennial, and rose you could imagine! There are pathways, arches, rock and wood borders, shade and sunny areas, and almost every space that I could drag a source of water to is filled! It's hard work to maintain, and I do the best I can... the one thing I can say is, I've loved every minute of it! :-)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Josh the moss is overwhelming surprising to my eyes in each of your pics as we have nothing even close to the pics to match the views of moss here.

Jodi the stone crop and lavender corner garden with Sally Holmes very eye pleasing too nice

Mike Hope you are good too. Any day that I pass up a Devils horn tree isn't always a bad day but I just dont know why I dont just get one of them. Got a free wiring lesson and talk for bonsai. Wont say who cause you had to be there to see who blushed after over pruning during the wiring.

Anyways We have a holiday coming up this week Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving all.

11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to you guys and say "thank you" to some of the wonderful kind emails that i have received since i responded to Tecnico's thread. I realize some people don't post on here and just read, but i never imagined that i would get these kind of emails from you all that don't even post. You are so nice to send me these on the side and i just want you all to know that i truly appreciate your thoughts and encouragement about the loss of my little Pepper. You don't know how much it means to me. Mahalo!!

Tecnico.. Thank you for the wonderful links to the beautiful island. That did make me smile and it brightened my day. You are so kind!! : ) Your email was so kind and supportive. Means alot..

Al.. Thank you for the comforting comments about these wonderful companions that we love. I miss my little guy, but i know i made the right decision.. It is hard to see them leave us after we have loved them for so long.

I am still bummed, but i know he is not suffering any longer. Thank you for the post and it does make me feel better. Thank you so much!!

Jodi.. I love all of your new pics of your roses. That made me feel like i was right there taking a tour of your yard. Only if i could smell them.. So beautiful!!

Mike, Jodi, Jojo, Josh, Wes, Al and all of the others that i have missed... have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy your families and loved ones. I will be truly thankful this year for all of my blessings.

Take care,

Laura

{{gwi:6498}}

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, mrlike2u... I forgot to mention that there is also a little Plume Grass and a type of flowering mint growing in the corner, as well... and Tulips, Daffodils, and Allium earlier in the season.

Laura, how could I miss a post regarding your loss? I feel so terrible... especially since I have experienced so much of the same over the years... my heartfelt condolences. I gather it was a decision made? As difficult as it is, our beloved pets so deserve painless peace and tranquility after their many years of faithful service and unconditional love. Still, nothing makes it easier, I know. I send silent support, and wish I could send a hug through a forum...

My mind often forgets as soon as I read through the many posts... and it takes me forever to post, because I have to keep going back to reread, read again, and correct spelling. That's not an excuse, though. I'm so very sorry.

We'll be staying here for Thanksgiving, but traveling to see the kids for Christmas. I do hope everyone has a nice Holiday...

Laura, imagine standing outside, eyes closed, trying to pinpoint the area a particularly strong rose scent is emanating from... and following that scent to find out who just opened new blooms... that's what it's like some days. And the difference in scents... some citrus-y, some heavy, some light with a hint of clove or lemon... the slight differences are amazing and wonderful...

I'm a bit tired and under the weather today, but I'll try my best to keep adding photos to my albums for everyone to enjoy.

Good wishes to you all for wonderful Holidays...

A special wish for serenity to you, Laura.

And a special thank you to you and Mom, Mike.

11 years ago

Hi Jodi,

This happened last week and was unexpected.. that is why it was so difficult. He was a happy little guy that just pranced while walking and just the other day at the vet he called him the "Jack Lalaan" of Minature Dachshunds for his age of 13 years ;-)

My Little Dachshund had a terrible accident a few days ago when he was coming up the stairs. He missed a step and hit his little head wrong and instantly began to curl his feet. The Vet said he hurt his neck and to wait and see if he will come around. Well, he was paralyzed and couldn't do much to help himself, so i had to make the decision to let him go and not suffer anymore.. My DH wanted to wait for a few days to see it he would come around.. But i knew it wasn't going to happen. This went on for four days. A hard decision because i didnt want him to leave me, but a decision made from the love that i have for him and the true love he always gave back. A true Gentleman for 13 years and he left in my arms a relaxed loved little loyal companion.
    This is why i have been away.. I'm still bummed and im missing my little garden buddy.. I know he is happy now resting painfree. It just leaves us with a empty hole in our hearts and it will take time for my heart to heal. Thanks to the many friend that have given me so much support and truly understanding the grief from losing a best friend. i couldnt have been lifted like this without you guys. Many Thanks to all of you who have reached out to me. It is hard when me and my hubby have different views on this and i had to wait a few extra days to make him see the need to let him leave with some diginity left. Pepper knew that he was aware of everything and still loved us nd showed his love with kisses and he even wanted to try and do what he wanted, but he couldnt walk , stand, eat or do anything for himself. I spent the last night holding him in my arms so he wouldn't be alone. That made me feel needed and im sure he loved the love as well...

He left me in my arms all ccomfortable and i am happy for that. Hapoy to be there as he left this world. We brought him home and i buried him in between the two large palmtrees in my back yard. He loved to sun outside and find the warmest place on the deck. He is happy now and another friend mentioned that he will be on the "Rainbow bridge" smelling the falling Plumeria blooms and waiting patiently me to join him some day.

Thank you for the true kindness that you have shown to me in my time of sorrow.. I realize that you have had some health issues and i only hope you find a way to deal with your pain. You have such a great attitude that is so strong and gives us all strenght from you ability to deal with the good and the tought times. You are an inspiration to me and i can only hope that i can be as strong as you. Thank you again for always being such a joy to be around.

Enjoy your family at Christmas and i hope you continue to enjoy your gardens and the reward that it gives to you. You are one that has more than most of us.. A great attitude and the love for life...

You are a very strong woman and i admire you for your strenght!

My grandson will be coming to visit today so i am thankful for many things.. Life is full of surprises and this is a test for us all...

You are a doll..

Take care,

Laura

{{gwi:43167}}

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I only have a minute.. I will be back tonight..

Laura.. I am so sorry to hear of your loss!! I know how much you loved that little guy, and more importantly so did he!

I too have had to make such a choice in the past and know in time you will find peace. I wish I could say more or do something to help ease your pain right now.. but am at a loss for words. :-(

Love ya sweetie!!! And extra big hugs for you!! I will be back tonight.
    JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I understand completely, Laura... I would have made the exact same, selfless decision. They depend on us so much, even more so in moments like these, and we have to put aside our own feelings and walk a mile in their paws. I know you did the right thing, as hard as it was.

13 is a long, long life for a mini... and I know every single year was wonderful for him, Laura, as you're a very nurturing, caring, generous person. Hold the good memories close, know you did the right thing, and when you feel sad pull out a memory of something he did that made you happy or made you laugh.

I know that's not a cure for heartbreak, but it helped to ease the worst moments for me, after I lost Minnie. That was over 6 years ago, and it still hurts a little bit at times. Some animals are special and touch us in ways we couldn't imagine possible.

I just keep thinking that Minnie is happy now, there's no pain, no cancer, and I'll always have the best memories... and those are what fill that hole in my heart. I only hope you can find a similar way to ease your pain.

I just feel so bad that I somehow missed that important piece of news, because it's important to you... sending positive, healing thoughts your way...

{{gwi:50845}}

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Laura, I'm very sorry to hear about your pup. 13 years of good memories and such an unexpected ending - My heart goes out to you and your family during this sad time. I too recently lost a pet, my cat, papi - she was sick for six months and getting progressively worse. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor and it was difficult to make the decision that I had to say goodbye, that she wouldn't recover.

I know we'll always have our good memories. Our pets, our families - we don't get over them, ever. But we do keep living and we can always open our hearts to others. I am lucky that I have other cats who are keeping me entertained with their antics; I find it fascinating to see how the dynamics between them changes when one is absent.

I hope that you will be well; and that there is a place for good souls for rebirth. I'd like to know that our pets will have another chance for long lives, good health, lots of love, care, a warm cozy place with companionship, food, and toys (lots of toys).

-Rose

11 years ago

Jodi, Jojo, Rose...

Thank you for the wonderful kind words of support.

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and i can't tell you what it means to me.

Please have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!!

Love your family, friends and your special little family members. They make the family whole..

You all are THE BEST!!

Thank you!!

Laura

11 years ago

TRUCKERS BREAKFAST ~

A trucker came into a Truck Stop Cafe' and placed his order. He said I want three flat tires, a pair of headlights and a pair of running boards.' The brand new blonde waitress, not wanting to appear stupid, went to the kitchen and said to the cook, 'This guy out there just ordered three flat tires, a pair of headlights and a pair of running boards..... What does he think this place is an auto parts store?'

'No,' the cook said. 'Three flat tires mean three pancakes; a pair of headlights is two eggs sunny side up; and a pair of running boards... Are 2 slices of crisp bacon!

'Oh... OK!' said the blonde. She thought about it for a moment and then spooned up a bowl of beans and gave it to the customer.

The trucker asked, 'What are the beans for, Blondie?'

I LOVE THIS ONE..

'She replied, 'I thought while you were waiting for the flat tires, headlights and running boards, you might as well gas up!

FOR ONCE, THE BLONDE GETS EVEN !!!
    ;-)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

LOL! That was cute, Laura! The blond never usually wins! I like it! :-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I enjoyed it too! LOL!

Well it's looking like we may need a new thread soon. lol.. I thought they maxed out at 125? looks like not. ;-)

Wow! So much has been posted since I've been able to post, I hope I don't miss anyone's comments!!

Jodi~ I Laughed and laughed when I read about the bail $$! I can just see all the jars now! I guess we should start one just in case! LOL! I love it! Someday I do hope to get to spend time with you!

I volunteer 3 days a week at the unemployment office, not by choice. Long story! and no , it's not community service, least not till me and Jodi tear up a town. lol..
    some days I come home depressed! I hear some sad desperate stories, and some days I make people laugh and feel better, so I feel good.

Job hunting myself, I can really feel for them and relate! I think my favorite was a gentleman that was feeling old. Only in his 50's but down none the less... I told him to think young and go do something silly. lol.. and when I told him my age, and that I still/always will enjoy stomping in a mud puddle, he laughed till he had tears! made his day, and mine, and he promised to give it a try :-)

I come home tired from being on the phone all day. Today I dialed 300 phone #'s!

My youngest dog is not taking me being gone so much very well, . Were having trouble with him sulking and belly aches while i'm gone. :-(
    As soon as I'm home, he's fine! but acts sick all day if i'm not here. Makes it hard on me when I leave.

Al, Josh,~ Thank you for the kind words of my new end table! Daddy takes his wood work serious and it has to be perfect or he's not happy! He just redid their whole trailer on the inside!
    I too love the smell of fresh cut wood and saw dust! Creaky old saddles, and rain too. ;-) You guys know me, the simple things in life and being close to nature bring me such joy!
    I still hike the river every chance I get! Not as green as Josh's world, but beautiful in its own way! I still spend hours in my garden looking for and enjoying all the little critters!

My 'family' grew a little on Friday. I was given a Box Turtle! LOL! Mike, her name is currently Clara, but I don't like that and will think up a new one. :-) I Love turtles, so I was so excited to hear I was getting her.

Laura~ I see you posting in Bonsai! I am wanting to start one soon! (that was a hint to the guys here I will be yelling for help ;-)lol ) Al, Josh, Mike, Mrlike2u, are you guys ready to help out? lol..

Jodi~ Love the roses as always!

Well.. it's almost mid night and I still have a mess to clean in kitchen from last min. preps. Were going to moms tomorrow.
    so I will go for now.

I am thankful now and every day for the wonderful friends here that I just couldn't be without! Who have helped me to find the strength I need to get through the rough times, and there for the good times too!
    And for our special "Mom' (Sissy) who doesn't post here much but I know is with us every day! Love you 'mom'!

A very Special Happy Thanksgiving!
    Be safe everyone!
    Hugs!
    JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Threads max out at 150, normally... just a bit of GW trivia. ;-)

We decided to stay home for Thanksgiving and save to go north for Christmas, instead. We can only afford one trip this holiday season, and we'd rather it were Christmas. We'll get to see all the grandkids, feast with my daughter-in-law's family like we always do, and generally have a great few days with family and friends!

I'm actually kind of glad we didn't make the trip... I haven't been feeling well, or sleeping well... and the old man isn't up to snuff, either... either we picked up a bug, or it's just a change of season thing. Who knows...

Today, I'm doing nothing but resting, watching tv, watching my plants grow, and I might take a nap later on.

We send our best to everyone and their families, on this, the day to be thankful for everything... whether good or bad, it's all brought us to this point in our lives, and I wouldn't trade my life, my family and friends, for anything! You all mean so much to me! :-)

Enjoy your day... and accept the positive thoughts we're sending out to everyone! Happy Thanksgrowing! ;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok, from Mom!

A guy goes to C.V.S to but a box of condoms.....

He asked the blonde behind the counter.."How much are these?"

The blonde says.."14.95"

The guy says.."Is that with tax?"

The blonde says.."No, they stay on by themselves"..lol

Hope you are all having a safe day. Much love from Mom and I.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

ROFL!!
    Funny and Scary at the same time! LOL!!!!!!!!!! I'm almost afraid to ask where mom gets them! lol!!!

Thanks Mom!!! Jodi,
    I'm sorry to hear your a little under the weather! I hope you are both feeling better soon and have a wonderful day!
    Were going to moms, but she is here in town. Mike wasn't up to the 2 hr drive to Safford. Me either to be honest.
    almost 80 here today and I'm antsy to get back to the yard work that needs to be finished before cold sets in.
    Tomorrow morning in the garden for me. :-)

I hope everyone has a good day!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

ROFL! Mom, that was a great one! :-) Thanks for sharing it, Mike!

Okay...

Guy goes into a store and asks the clerk for condoms. The clerk says they're out of everything except the multi-pack containing various colors. The guy says, "I'll take 'em."

Months go by... guy goes back to the store and asks the same clerk if they carry maternity bras. Clerk asks, "What bust?" And the guy says... (wait for it)... "the blue one."

;-)

• tecnico
    11 years ago

hello fellow members, Al, Laura, Mike, Josh , Jodik and others : ) ; Jodik thanks for you answer on the recent post : ).

well friends gonna start a new experiment : )

and need to know which of these 2 products is the best TURFACE substitute :

MOLTAN MULTIPURPOSE SAFETY ABSORBENT

http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/874705

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Moltan-8-lbs-multi-purpose-safety-absorbent/_/N-260l?itemIdentifier=874705&_requestid=4204969

ULTRASORB

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Moltan-15-lbs-UltraSorb-water-oil-and-grease-absorbent//N-260l?itemIdentifier=3601500

http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/36015

please check those links so you can see in detail the products and can tell me which is best : )

Here is a link that might be useful: MOLTAN MULTIPURPOSE SAFETY ABSORBENT

• tecnico
    11 years ago

this is the other link so you can see it also

Here is a link that might be useful: the ULTRASORB description

• tecnico
    11 years ago

one is montmorolomolite clay , ( or something like that : P ) and it calcinied

the other is the DE that have heard about here but it doesnt say calcinied : ( , so if any around here has used either of them or seen them which is better ?

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

ROFL!! Oh I about lost my coffee on that one Jodi! TOOOO EARLY! LOL!!

Al~~~
    Question... :-)
    I am wanting to make Hyper tufa Rocks. I was wondering if this time of year would work , if they would cure? I know you had made some troughs, was wondering what time of year you made them.
    Below is a link to what gave me the idea and my question no one has answered since it is dead over there. lol...

I hope everyone had a nice day yesterday.

It's going to be warm today and I am taking advantage of it and doing yard work today.
    No way on earth am I driving anywhere today!!! Dont deal well with traffic! LOL~

JJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypertufa Rocks

Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope EVERYONE had a very nice Thanksgiving. I wanted to get here yesterday, but was soo busy with the cooking .... and then our company forgot they had homes and staid until near 11:00, so I crashed as soon as they left. We had a rally good meal & a good time. I'm not used to all that noise though. I guess it's a sign of getting older. ;-)

Technico - the physical characteristics of the products you asked about that make them suitable/unsuitable as a substitute for Turface are their size and structural stability. They need to be primarily in that 3/32-3/16 size range (preferably closer to 1/8"), and they need to retain their structure after you freeze them in water. You don't want something too large/small, or something that turns to mud after you incorporate it into a soil.

JJ - You should name your turtle Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hearns ...... after one of the famous boxers. ;-)

Take care everyone. I hope that if you're out shopping, you're taking advantage of some great deals, and if you're not, you're having a relaxing day. I think I'm still full, and I didn't even have breakfast. Only in America would they legislate a day when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty. ;-)

Al

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Al!
    You sound like my dad at times.. He couldn't wait for all of us to go home last night! LOL! Left around nine. ;-)

Well.. One problem with the names you picked. It's a girl! LOL!

And what about the hyper tufa? ;-)

JJ

• tecnico
    11 years ago

Hello Al , ok , but have read the recomended one is the calcinated DE , so makes no diferences if its calcianted or not ????

and that means that calcinated montmorolomolite clay is also good as turface substitute ?

upon the characteristics you say they should have, well dont know cause ive never used them : ( , so that is why im asking if someone has used them or tested them ? these products are available in Autozone , so would like any inputs , thoughts about them if any have used / seen them, thanks : )

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hypertufa projects will cure at any temps above about 30*, but they cure faster when it's warmer. Try to keep them out of the sun and moist while they are curing, so cover your project with plastic or aluminum foil, or enclose them in a plastic bag, the object of all is to keep the moisture level high while the project cures to handling stage. I've made projects at all times of the year - even winter in the garage, as long as it's above freezing ....

Call your turtle Laila - for Laila Ali - a woman boxer and Muhammad Ali's daughter. Or call her Ronda Rousey. It was just a joke, anyway. ;-) Hava good day!!

Al