Return to the Container Gardening Forum

o
Anything You Wanna Talk About 3 (prolly mostly OT)

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 23:22

Just a thread to gather and talk about whatever ...... like the last one. It doesn't necessarily have to be about plants.

Here's an interesting picture of the worlds largest hanging basket.

PADDINGTON, LONDON, UK -- A giant basket was created to mark the opening of Hotel Indigo London Paddington. It measures over 20ft by 10ft, weight over 250 kilos, hangs 7.5 metres (25 feet) from the ground off the side of the building and contains over 100 types of flowers including orchids, roses and conifers, setting the world record for the largest hanging basket.

It even took a team of workers over EIGHT hours to hang from the front of the Hotel Indigo, in Paddington, though it looks more like the hotel is hanging from it.

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anything You Wanna Talk About 3 (prolly mostly OT)

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 23:32

Oh, but wait! Here's another to give it a run - with the same claim.

I think the one in London gets the nod?

Al

Remember to follow your dreams. (Except maybe that one about where you're naked in church.)

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 0:17

Any pictures of snow out there, because my goodness I could use something to make me feel a little cooler. 104F today, 108F yesterday. Ugh

Maybe just dripping ferns or something, lol.

o

The picture shows a lady watering from what looks like a quart container. How many quarts, applied how often, or does it rain enough in the UK, that a quart now and then would be sufficient? Al

o

Sheesh, I was thinking the very same thin Al C.! How in the many hours would it take her to water with that coffee sup or pitcher? lol

It was 48 degrees today and I don't know about you guys, but does it seems like many of your plants may actually like these cool temps once in a while? I have been trying to get my gardenia to bloom for weeks in all the wamth, and now it is loaded today after a very cool night!

I also have a plant related question for you Tapla, Al my dear friend. It may sound dumb, not sure, but here it goes.

....It is said that using organics in containers does not work like the ground and I know that. But what if your containers are set on the dirt ground?
Is it possible with many that using compost and other organics in the containers may actually work due to the fact that many microbes needed to work in containers may find themselves up into the containers my crawling up the drainage holes, as long as the containers don't over heat?

With huge drainage holes, and your containers sitting on top of the garden bed actually act like a raised bed and allow one to use all kind of organic nutrients as if they were growing in the ground verses the disadvantage of placing their pots on cement, stands, or tables.....? Can everything that works in the ground actually perform the same in a pot if placed on the ground?

Just musing buudy! I hope you get my point.:-)

Boy, does the sun feel so good today in the open filed surrounded by luscious apple trees! Yum!

Love it when you do this. Great thread and say hello to teh chickadees for me:-)

Mike

o

Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 13:27

Al & Mike - a trick of the camera - that's a chamber pot - fertilizer.

When you sink your pot in the ground, it's not just the hydrology that changes the pot to a mini raised bed, it's the increased stability of soil/root temperatures, exposure to soil life, and the fact that roots can run into the surrounding soil.

I wanna be under a tree with a picnic basket, a blanket, and a book, right where this picture was taken ....... and I might not need the book.

Al

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1978 Rte 128 96 inches fell over a 36 hour time frame

Removal for driving took two weeks

o

Now wait guys!

If I had a choice to be somewhere, I would much prefer to be in the mist of those lovely vivid blue flowers than to be stuck in that white ugly stuff!

Wes.....I think were are in for a very bad winter on the eastern half of this country, at least that is what the Farmers Alminac says:-((((((((((((

Brace yourself.

Thanks Al for that summery on pots!

Mike

o

Here is a bit of snow for you Nil, it won't be long and we will have a bunch of white stuff!
Photobucket
Tami

o

Hello Everyone!!!

I wanted to let you all know that i just became a new grandma!!! Love this little guy!! : )

My daughter had her little one last week . He weighted 9 lbs 8 oz. They grow them large in NC!! LOL...

Here are a few pics of the little one and me.

Photobucket
Photobucket

As i was driving home.. i was talking to my best friend and mentioned that i was seeing fields of cotton. Its quite interesting if you have never seen it before, so i thought some might like to see...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Mike... I agree.. Love to be in the fields of flowers too!

Thanks Al for the new thread # 3

Lavender fields? So beautiful..

Take care,

Laura

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 1:51

All right, I feel cooler already.

o

Laura! So WONDERFUL and CONGRATS to you! I am sure you will make a best friend to your grandson and he will be in good hands between you and your daughter!

You know whhat to do once he gets old enough, right? Teach him to water plants and grow plumeria. Let him smell the fragrance of your beautiful flowers. You will have him addicted to them before he can even speak! And when you need someone whom cares for your plants like we do, well then, he will find great pleasure in doing good deeds for you. You see, I have it down. Now all I have to do is first have a kid of my own.:-)

Thanks soooooo much for posting pics of cotton plants. I have always wanted to know what they look like! I would be one of those that would try to figure out what to do with the white stuff. I wish there was something to do with corn husks! So soft...

I am so happy for you and by the way, I never received the pics! I texted you yesterday and Mom says much love to you and Al!

Nil...How in the world did you post 3 times in a row? I can't even do a double without having to change the title a bit. It is cooler! Go figure. I forgot to turn the heater on in my greenhouse last night! It was 48 in there this am and 40 outside! I hope it did not hurt all my tropicals and orchids:-(

Tami..Such a beautiful picture and I don't even care if it displays snow, I love horses. To those who want to feel cold, I would happily trade places with you.lol

o

Laura

Congratulations, what a healthy & beautiful little-big boy.
Best wishes to all.

Rina

o

Wow loveplants2! Nice cotton!

o

Sorry for the second post.

I have never seen cotton growing in person! That is very cool.

o

A former neighbor grew 4 acres of Lavender exactly as pictured. All of her friends would pitch in and cut it all in one day,always the hottest day of the summer! She distilled the fragrance into a variety of toiletries marketed to local outlets. The plants were replaced every five years for the best production. A rich friend of her neighbor,Joe Montana, made her an offer she could not refuse, and she moved on. Al

o

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen.

'Careful,' he said, 'CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my gosh! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my gosh! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK! Careful. CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL!

You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind?

Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!'

The wife stared at him. 'What in the world is wrong with you? You think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?'

The husband calmly replied, 'I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving.'

o

Hello Everyone,

Love all of the pics..

Tami.. Love the horses.. Great pic!!

Mike... I wil have to make sure the little one is a helper!! Im sure he will love my trees and will want to help out in many ways!!! . I am so happy!!!
Hugs to Sissy..

MG... I thought those cotton fields were pretty interesting as well!

Rina.. Thank you!! He is a cute "big boy" LOL.. I just love him to pieces!!!

Calistoga.. Love to see a pic of those Lavender fields. How i would love to help pick those flowers and see what is made. I find those fields so relaxing and i would love to see them in person. I have seen pics of the fields in Texas. That is on my list of places to see and visit. If you have any pics, could you post? Thanks!!

Mrlike2u.. That was a good one.. I might just have to try that.. Made me laugh out loud when i read that one..

Thanks!!

Have a great night everyone!!!

Laura

o

Sweet! All of it! The new baby... the beautiful hanging baskets, the field of lavender... though, I'm not especially "digging" the snow pictures! My joints and bones hurt just thinking about that cold and snow!

There are horses here, too, and though they're not mine, I sometimes help throw hay to them... thoroughbreds, mostly, with a couple of smaller types, and one giant work horse! I'm not really a horse person, so I don't know that much about them. I'm more of a dog person. :-)

Personally, I'd like to be on a beach somewhere... somewhere tropical that never got cold! That would make me feel a lot better! :-)

o

This is for you Jodi!!!

Im sure it will do the trick!!!

Maui...

Sweet Spot overlooking another island.. I love them pic that i took at sunset...

Wanted to share with you!!!

Thanks for the email...ill get back to you!!

Laura

favorite picture that I took in Maui

o

Ooh! Lovely! I can feel the serenity and warmth from here! :-)

I don't know... I'm really drawn to those kinds of scenes... like I was born in the wrong area, or something!

No rush, Laura... take your time. And, thank you... it's a lovely photo!

o

Ooooooh..I can picture me sitting on a hammock out there will a lovely gal in my arm...ooops wait, I wish!

Laura, I know how you feel about tropical places and I wish I could go as often as I use too. I wish I could live in my house down there. Then I could grow anything and everything I want with all the room! How's the baby?

I will give Mom a hug from you and Jodik!

Speaking of Jodik, it is such a pleasure to see you stopping by. It makes me smile:-)
You know what picture I would love to see you post? My favorite goat! Yup, how's he been any way?
Hows the weather there and what's the pain level on a scale of 1-10? I can only hope none so you can do all you have to do.

Wes, you cracked me up. That was a good one.lol

It's cloudy here and temps in the 60's..YUK! Feels like Halloween much too early and it seems that summer just ran off a cliff and crashed. I never saw summer leave so fast in my life. I guess we are do for another Halloween snow storm..Sheesh!

Still debating if I should bring my trees in yet? Well, I did a couple and the rest I think will do since the 70's seems to be making a come back thank God!

By the way, I fell in my pond yesterday! Yup. real nice.lol

Mike

o

Yesterday, the service manager whom no one likes was talking bad about me and making a false accusation. When I went his door to tell him it was not true after over hearing this, before I could get anything in word wise except that "I am not a liar", he slammed the door so hard in my face it hit my foot! I mean. slammed it in his burst of anger right in front of two of my co-workers.

I felt threatened and embarrassed I just wanted to cry! I tried to tell my supervisor and she couldn't talk but instead told be to go to her boss, the Controller of company, the right hand women next to the owner.

She told me she didn't want to be a referee and to take it up with him after I calmed down. He is hot headed, always causing drama, very rude, no one likes him, and take sides with the girl I work with every time she runs to him to cover her but from making mistakes by making me look bad.
He is abusive with his own workers and yet not a thing is done about it.
My day was miserable yesterday until I decide to move on and forgive him

He took me in his office and changed his story be telling me he meant nothing by what he said, that he really likes me, considers me a friend, that I, being me, don't lie and apologized for his behavior. He admitted to having a short temper.

The person whom he picked on happens to me a close friend, and I had to stop him from crying and being angry for over an hour last night. At least he stood his ground as well as I and that boss tried to play mister nice guy with us both by giving him a hundred dollars and me his lunch.
My friend did not accept his 150 dollars but I did his lunch. I was starving!

Thanks for yet another drama day D.....

By the way, he is the same guy that decided to pull me and another co-worker whom he likes, but is upset at, because that worker doesn't let him borrow his stuff and refuses to go to his house, up into the meeting room.
You know why? To accuse us of going behind a close door in a file room, not once on a few occasions!
I am straight and so is the other co-worker with three sons and a wife, and yet we felt they were insinuating that we were doing something strange in there!
To this day, it is a lie, it was hatched by the same manager above, and both of us never did that, and we are straight! It was told to us in that meeting that a manager accused us of that, when in fact, they told us they never said anything after being approached. The other co-worker hates him to this day and I yet again forgave him but yet find it hard to forget.

All this for a measly chunk of change per hour! I wish there were more jobs out there. And yet I feel like I failed if I leave because of a idiot like this.
I hope he gets found out by the higher ups and leaves someday. Besides this, I truly love my job and he continues to tell me how much he likes me after the crap he puts me through. He also tells everyone he treats that way he likes them and he considers them a friend.

Definitely OP but I needed to vent to someone who cares. Let alone I was sick all week and had to deal with hearing my farther might have cancer.

o

Word of the day at the work place for Mike M: Karma
Peace love and prayers are words for the home front for you bud

o

Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 13:25

Man oh man, Mike. I sure hope the trend reverses course. I don't think you could stand a continuation of the status quo. All the best to you, my friend. Keep your chin up.

Al

o

Hi Mike,

I have been thinking of you and wanted to say that you seem to handle this in the best mmanner possible. Some people are just so ignorant in how they act and try and be the "professionals" when their actions are the ones that need addressing.

You have to let them fall on their faces first and keep your head held high. It will come around to them and they will have their day when everone sees them for who they truly are... i really believe this!!!

Keep being the wonderful man that you are..

everyone knows that you always give 100 % at everything you do and i think others see that. They may be jealous or something, but you are a good hearted person that shines.. so don't let him get to you.... We have talked about this before.. Keep up the good work and let others see his real side...

Please call me ..i deleted all cell numbers from my new iphone.. SO i cant call you.

Thinking of you annd wanted to give you some encouraging words of advice for a wonderful caring, giving, compationate man. Only just a few of you like that out there.. so someone may be jealous of what you hsve to offer other ladies.. That may have something to do with this whole equation eh?

Keep it simple...

Here is something to make you smile...

Hilo Beauty
Leopard Lily-scilla

Take care,

Laura

o

Love the Lavender fields! Haven't been here in a long time and that pic really brightened my day.

o

Laura and Al, my dear dear friends, thank you so much for your kind words and support. It really means a lot to me to see such support from good ole friends. I have been doing better. The doctor took x-rays and found a strained ligament from the door being slammed on my foot. It should be fine.
As for me? I have already forgiven him. Now it's time to do my job and focus on making my customers happy:-)

Laura, your pictures mean so much and I thank you for that. I owe you more than you know.

Wes, thanks so much for those words. Very deep and meaningful.

By the way, has anyone here had any frost yet? We came pretty close last night and still most of my plants reside outside. Thank goodness it was in the 70's today and will be tomorrow. Yahoo!

Have not seen my frogs for a while:-(

What a fantastic bunch of people here. I am so grateful I know you all and have met many new comers.

o

A brief moment for some smaller things in containers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

So cute Wes! So stinkin cute. Now how ofetn do you have to water?

Maybe I can dig something up too. Let me see......

What are the first, second, and third one up from the bottom called? Nice

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 21:36

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Al

o

Well now, the both of you have me beat! I will have to see if I can come up with something! Amazing Al, Amazing! Thank you

Mike

o

What are the first, second, and third one up from the bottom called?

Aqua pot: A true miniature terrestrial orchard, lost tag I cant help you with an exact cultivation but spikes are 6- 8 inches inches high holding 9- 15 pink and white non fragrance non variegated florescence a bit smaller than the tip of your pinky
How often do I water this one ? Never I give it a good misting in the same manner as an air plant

Terracotta dish: What is it ? ......Forgotten name and lost tag I'll have to show and ask Glen next time I see him.
How often do I water this one ? Very little water until new growth is noticed as many as 2 x week, three times a year might need a forth small drip or two watering this year has any easy tell when needed

Bottom pic: My disastrous baked clay & porcelain practice pot holds Monanthes Murales.
How often do I water this one ? Watering treated the same as a Haworthia.

o

I actually really like the "disastrous" practice pot.. it looks so.. I dunno.. earthy? And natural.

o

Sorry for butting in...

Here's hoping we have a harsh winter, with lots of snow and cold!

I kinda like fall and winter - You can have the hot, sultry days of summer. Spring's all right, but it's usually wet around here. Nothing like fall - As I'm staring out the window, I see tons of trees changing - The green ash are almost peak, the white ash and black cherry are starting to change, and the sky is a brilliant, clear blue. Ahhh, what a wonderful time of year...

Never have looked at this forum much... I lost most of my potted plants last winter from soggy, wet soil. Nevertheless, I'm trying again next spring! This time, with the proper soil mix! If only I'd read around in this forum LAST year!

Anyways, It's waaaaay too nice to be sitting here staring at a screen - BYE for now!

o

Hi MIke...

YOu are more than welcome!!! ;-)

Hi Mrlike2 you!! great pics.. They all look so cute!! I also like the last pic. Awesome!!

HI AL!!

Really like your pics too! Especially like the last pic. The little container looks so small. How small is it? could you post something beside this little guy so i can get the feel of the little cacti? Love the containers.. You do a great job with all of your trees!!

The Acorn is really something.. Gritty in the cap or just Turface fines?

Thanks for sharing!

I will have to see what little containers that i have. I do have a cutting of little "Fang" and a few others..

Thanks for all of the pics.. SO little and sooo cute!! : )

take care,

Laura

o

Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 21:49

It's a tiny little container my best friend gave me and said, "I wanna see what you can find to grow in this." So, I broke off a little piece of hardy cactus and rooted it in Turface fines. The big trick will be getting it through the winter w/o losing it or it getting knocked out of the dime-size pot.

Remember the dime is behind the pot, which makes the pot look larger than it is.

Al

o

jimbob

Here's hoping we have a harsh winter, with lots of snow and cold!
...pleeease, not harsh!...snow would be good, we need it after so little last winter, but not super cold please. I hope for 'proper' winter, appropriate temps, nice white snow, just no storms/whiteouts/ice storms...Rina

o

Hi AL!!

That is the smallest little container that i have ever seen!! How cute is that? No wonder your friend wanted to see what you could grow in this little container..

I can't believe how small.. Thanks for placing the dime close to it so i can get a good feel as to how little it truly is.. SOOooo cute!!

OK.. Before i headed out for work this morning, i decided to take a pic of my cute little container. It is a Succulent that has dropped some seedlings in my greehouse and i planted a few in little containers.. Here it is..

Not as little as AL's and Mrlike2u, but it is small for me. I just like to see what i can grow and what can be sowed in these little pots..
Photobucket

i was trying to add a few more pics..but Photobucket is having issues again... ARggg!

Take care,

Laura

o

greentiger: Earthy is nice to hear if meaning nothing in nature is truly round or square. Thanks but I intended for it to be three inches and a bit taller not as small as in pic.

Larua: You'll find a few good plants that do grow rather well in smaller containers for longer time periods than you might imagine. My mini terrestrial orchard grew in the small pot in pic two rooting an Xmas cacti for three years. It's easy to get them in not sure how easy it will be to get them out

Al: Neat cati rooting smallest bonsai dish/pot I've only been able to find 1.5 inches inside top X .75 inch height including bottom feet.Is there smaller. I use my smaller pots as a removable top dress of bigger pots/dishes helps to prevent them from some uncertain disasterslike falling or even lost.

jimbob: Sure we can have a lot of snow to me it dont matter if deep or none at all. What does matter is winter to end before spring is over this time. Our North east 2011/2012 winter departed us very late this year kept a few plants inside until mid May to June for out side transitioning.

Mike M: Your small potted plants are next to the............. and are looking....... I could of posted GW's most ugliest pot but wont. Although as soon as you find your camera which is next to the...................then I will but I dont think there is a plant in the ugliest pot.In a more understandable phrase. How are you Mike ?

o

Not bad Wes! How are you? I am yearning for a trip to Logee's very soon. Probably on the first rotten cold cloudy grey sky day on a Saturday sometime.lol

I met a women there who grows plants in, get this, THIMBLES! Yup, she showed me pic. I couldn't believe she has mature plants that small in such small, well let's just say, microscopic devices.

Wow Laura, Al, and Wes! I had to get out my eye glasses to see these plants!

By the way, 70's here all week and I am loving it! Just took down my figs from the roof and now it's time to sweep, get all my plants into one place, the only place that gets sun, and spray them down with Fish Emulsion again.
Thank goodness for this day off.

By the way, I will be trimming some of my jades soon. Let me know if you are interested in one or two:-)

Laura, it texted you yesterday, but being that you seem to always be high, that is in the sky, I never know if you get it.

Many hugs to the ladies and handshakes to my guy friends here.

Mike

o

Okay, I guess you're right - No apples this year, because of late April freezes. I do almost wonder if spring will come earlier if we do have a harsh winter. I love snow in December, January and February, but by March, I'm ready and rarin'. Just bought a few more citrus to try this winter! Probably a mistake, but I'll have fun in the meantime!

o

Mike M. : Yes I too have an itch for a Logees visit, but I find it a bit difficult to believe that Logees has something you dont already have growing in some type of pot already. Maybe they cleaned up the old house and all those pot tipped Clivia. Last year on a weekend at this time they had their annual open house and for us local walk in visitors only private sale with loads of neat plants as free give a ways. A site to be seen was me in that small car and lots of plants lol. Good of you to be offering jades to some of the GW folks a very nice jade collection you have too.

o

Lovely pictures, everyone! I don't know which ones I like best! The miniatures are so cute... but Laura's plants are so healthy looking... I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite!

Mike, if I were in your shoes, I'd quietly begin looking for a better job. No one needs that kind of drama, especially at work! And in this, the 21st century, a person's sexual preference is their own business, and not fodder for a work related rumor mill. It shouldn't matter either way, and it borders on sexual discrimination for such things to be thrown about by a person of some authority, at a place of business. The guy sounds like a class "A" jerk, and I'd avoid him like the plague.

I've walked out on jobs for less than that. I'm not one to take crap from anyone... never have, never will. That kind of abuse of position angers me no end. It's just such a shame that decent jobs are so hard to come by...

I hope everyone is well, and enjoying a nice autumn. I've been kinda busy, trying to get everything in place for the coming winter. All I have to do yet is wait for cold weather so I can place all the containerized plant material in the garages, and shut the doors until spring. I've given up on trying to do everything myself. I just can't do it.

Happy Growing!

o

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of darkness?

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

o

I just had to jump on here and say how great all of the miniature planters are. Those teeny tiny plants have such huge personalities! I want one on every windowsill! Now the search for containers begins!

o

Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 20:54

About drinking & driving

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

Some of us have been lucky to NOT have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from various social sessions over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a margarita. Not such a good idea.

Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block but because it was a taxi, they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise.

I had never driven a taxi before, and am not even sure where I got it.

Al

o

The following questions were set in last year's GED examination
These are genuine answers (from 16 year olds)............and they WILL breed.

Q. Name the four seasons
A. Salt, pepper, mustard, and vinegar

Q. Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe to drink
A. Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists

Q. How is dew formed
A. The sun shines down on the leaves and makes them perspire

Q. What causes the tides in the oceans
A. The tides are a fight between the earth and the moon. All water tends to flow towards the moon, because there is no water on the moon, and nature abhors a vacuum. I forget where the sun joins the fight

Q. What guarantees may a mortgage company insist on
A. If you are buying a house they will insist that you are well endowed

Q. In a democratic society, how important are elections
A. Very important Sex can only happen when a male gets an election

Q. What are steroids
A. Things for keeping carpets still on the stairs (Shoot yourself now , there is little hope)

Q. What happens to your body as you age
A. When you get old, so do your bowels and you get intercontinental

Q. What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty
A. He says goodbye to his boyhood and looks forward to his adultery (So true)

Q. Name a major disease associated with cigarettes
A. Premature death

Q. What is artificial insemination
A. When the farmer does it to the bull instead of the cow

Q. How can you delay milk turning sour
A. Keep it in the cow (Simple, but brilliant)

Q. How are the main 20 parts of the body categorised (e.g. The abdomen)
A. The body is consisted into 3 parts - the brainium, the borax and the abdominal cavity. The brainium contains the brain, the borax contains the heart and lungs and the abdominal cavity contains the five bowels: A, E, I,O,U.. (wtf!)

Q. What is the fibula?
A. A small lie

Q. What does 'varicose' mean?
A. Nearby

Q. What is the most common form of birth control
A. Most people prevent contraception by wearing a condominium (That would work)

Q. Give the meaning of the term 'Caesarean section'
A. The caesarean section is a district in Rome

Q. What is a seizure?
A. A Roman Emperor. (Julius Seizure, I came, I saw, I had a fit)

Q. What is a terminal illness
A. When you are sick at the airport. (Irrefutable)

Q. Give an example of a fungus. What is a characteristic feature?
A. Mushrooms. They always grow in damp places and they look like umbrellas

Q. Use the word 'judicious' in a sentence to show you understand its meaning
A. Hands that judicious can be soft as your face. ( OMG )

Q. What does the word 'benign' mean?
A. Benign is what you will be after you be eight (brilliant)

Q. What is a turbine?
A. Something an Arab or Shreik wears on his head

o

Hello Everyone!!!

AL... Great story!! Do you remember the color of the taxi? LOLOL Yellow? Glad to know you arrived home safe.
Next time... All of the Limo drivers beware... ;-)

Rina... I can't stop shaking my head in disbelief as I am laughing.. Love the side comments from you too!

This is sad, but is funny at the same time.

Actually.. it is very scary!!!

Thanks for the smiles..

Laura

o

I have another minature for you all...

Purple.. I was thinking of you!! Whelk? : )

Photobucket

This one is a Horseshoe crab found on the beach...
Photobucket

Have a great night everyone!!

Laura

o

Hey, everyone! :-)
I'm chuckling away at the great stories, well done!
Al, I expected a good punchline to that one, and you delivered, hehe ;-)

Happy Autumn!

Josh

o

I'm 20 - I don't know what they're teaching high schoolers these days (I graduated 2 years ago), but I definitely hope we're not all like that. I guess I had (have) the advantage of living on a farm...

o

a few questions for Al
I have planted two 3 foot lemon trees(Eureka and Meyer) in 20" containers(If am not wrong 7 gallons of soil per pot).I have used your mix.
3 gallons pine bark 1/2 gallon peat 1/2 gallon perlite ratio
Didn't have enough so I have added maybe 15% soil mix. Also added CRF to the soil.
The pots sit on caster trays that hold water.
Questions: 1. Should I perforate the trays?
2. I have foliage pro 936 how often, how much, in how much water? I am confused about watering, if you put too much water, doesn't that mean that the water goes right through and the diluted firtilizer goes with it. We have a water softner, does that change anything?
3. Flushing. How often. Do you use just water for flushing? How long a session?
I have just planted them in the pots today, staked them, put them out of the winds way.......will the roots be able to grab onto the "soil"?
Thank You very much
Luminita Ford.

o

Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 17:06

No need to perforate the trays, but make sure the effluent never has a pathway back into the soil. This means the pot should be raised above the effluent in the saucer ..... or the wick should, if using a wick.

Exactly what is the 15% "soil mix"?

Is your water softener an ionic exchange system or reverse osmosis? If an IE system, it changes a LOT.

Lets talk about the above before we go further.

Al

o

Well I am not sure about the water softner..it,s a Kenmore, it works with big bags of Morton salt.
The pot is sitting on in the tray that holds the water that is draining...so it is in contact with the effluent...should I put drainige holes in the tray as well...the tray is elevated by the casters.
The 15% soil mix is "Love's" Sta-Green tree and shrub garden soil plus fertilizer.
Thank you so much for helping.

I owe this forum a joke so here goes:
Why do Eskimos need refrigerators?
To keep their food from freezing.
Luminita Ford.

o

Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 21:47

Ion exchange water softeners replace (exchange) the Ca and Mg ions (primarily those 2 elements) with Na (sodium) ions, which is really bad news for plants. If I were you, I'd be looking for a tap you can get get water from before it passes through the softener.

Because of the addition of the garden soil, you probably should plan on using a wick to help drainage along until you can put together something without such a high % of fine particles.

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings .....

Al

o

I feel like you just told me that my lemon trees have a terminal illness.....does 10-15% of total volume being garden soil make such a big difference?
I an give the plants untreated water....we have an outside faucet of untreated water.
Thank you, Luminita Ford.

o

Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 4:01

The peat + the fines in the pine bark in your original soil already made up about a 15% fraction. The added garden soil would bring that fraction of fines up to at least 25-30%.

Imagine a jar with 7 cups of BBs in it - lots of beautiful air spaces between the BBs - right? Now add 30% (3 cups) of sand, which represents the fraction of fines you have in your soil. What happens to the air spaces? They fill up completely with sand - yes? Doesn't that leave you with the same amount of aeration as if you were growing in sand only? Additionally, the BBs wouldn't have held any perched water at all, just on their own, but with the addition of the fine particles, the ht of the perched water table will be the same as if you were growing in sand only, which is why I suggested the wick to help drain that perched water until you can get your soil situation straightened out.

In order to get the benefits soils like the 5:1:1 and gritty mix offer, you need to concentrate on trying to make sure you have a very small % of fine particles in the soil to clog up the highly valuable air spaces. The goal of these soils is to eliminate as much perched water as possible without the interval between waterings getting unmanageably short. In doing so, the amount of aeration will unavoidably be significantly increased, as compared to commonly used bagged soils based on peat, composted forest products, coir, and other fine particles.

Al

o

Just checking in so no one thinks I fell off the planet! ;-)

We've been a little busy trying to make ends meet in the middle, is all. Darn economy! Story of our life... get 3 rungs up the ladder, fall 4... climb 3 again, fall back 5. ;-)

Anyhoo... alive, if not well... but used to it.

Al, when I think back to my youth, I cringe. I commend you for taking the safe way home. :-) Glad you did.

Cute shells, Laura... reminds me of Florida vacations as a child. :-)

Yo, Mike! I just emailed you!

Hey, Josh! Hope everything is good on your end!

And, about perched water and aeration and all that... I have been a proponent of Al's mixes for quite some time now, and there's a lot to be said for understanding not only the differences between container growing and growing in the ground, but also in understanding the physics of how and why those grittier mixes work so well in containers. And they do work!

Once you've used them for a while, you get a feel for how to adjust them to your own climate, micro-environment, and other growing conditions unique to you.

And I'm not just saying that because Al is my friend... I'm saying it because the science is solid. It's tough to argue with such great long term results, and there are tons of posted results within the threads here, in this forum!

Have a great day, Everyone!

o

Yes, I understand now. For economic reasons
I will keep the current soil for a year....should be better then 100% garden soil?
Any suggestions about watering and fertilizing schedule for the current mix? As I said I have Foliage pro 9-3-6.
Thank You, Luminita

o

Howdy, all!
Al, Laura, Jodi, Mike, Luminita, and anyone I missed! :-D

Luminita, add a wick to the bottom of your containers, as Al mentioned, to hasten the drainage
in your soil. Citrus hate "wet feet," particularly during the Winter (although I see that you're
in a much more forgiving zone 10, nice!). If you stick a long dowel or wooden skewer deep into
your containers, you can use the skewer to determine if there is still ample moisture in the
lower layers of the container. Many of us have used this technique.

I feed my Citrus pretty heavily with Foliage Pro, weekly during the primary growing season.
That said, I use VERY fast-draining mixes, and so not as much of the fertilizer is staying in
the mix. I've read that one shouldn't fertilize during the Winter, but I continue with a reduced
dosage until February or so, when I begin to increase the nutrients again. Others are more expert
than I am with Citrus - I can grow them well and shape them well with judicious pruning, but I
certainly haven't gotten large crops of fruit from my trees.

Luminita, using Al's BB analogy, you can see that the garden soil acts like the fine sand to
clog up the mix (fill the spaces between the larger particles). When that happens, the mix
takes on the drainage characteristics of the finest particles, which means that the drainage
is practically the same as a container full of garden soil.

Josh

o

So, Al, I have a question that's been on my mind a few weeks.

I often make bark mixes without any peat. I've been assuming that the bark itself
brings a low pH to the mix - although I have not tested the pH of different bags of bark.
I've been adding a little less Lime, since I'm not using the peat, but I wanted to get your
reaction.

Josh

o

I do the same as Josh... I feed more heavily while plants are in active growth, then a bit weaker during the winter months, or rest period for the plants, when they're not actively in full growth mode. Every once in a while, I use plain water just as a precaution to any buildup of salts and whatnot. It's probably not necessary considering the medium I use, but I do it for my own peace of mind. The plants don't seem to mind.

I'm still trying to work my way through the bottle of Miracle-Gro All Purpose liquid fertilizer I have, and still saving my pennies for an order of Foliage Pro. I do compensate with the addition of a micro-nutrient to ensure a balanced diet for my plants, so to speak.

I would definitely wick any containers that had a fine particulate for medium. And I'd also use the wooden skewer method to test for moisture content. You can obtain packages of 100 wooden skewers in the cooking utensil section of your local grocery store for about $1 or so. They're typically used to cook shish-ka-bob style food items.

When I insert them, I stick the pointy end in, angled down toward the lower center of the root zone. That's where the most moisture will remain for an extended period of time, I've found. To test, just take the stick out and press it to your cheek. If it's warm and dry, it's time to water... and if it feels damp and cool to the touch, hold off for a while. If I'm not sure, I wait a day or two before adding water.

Honestly, I trust my sense of touch more than I trust those moisture meters. I get all kinds of goofy readings from mine... and I paid $24 for the stupid thing! What a waste that was!

For economic reasons, it took me a while to gather all the ingredients I needed to make a grittier medium, and I'm always on the lookout for bags of items I can utilize. The nice thing is, once you switch over your plants won't require re-potting every year. As long as you give them ample room to stretch out and grow, they can remain in the same gritty medium for two or three years! And, you can sift through the used gritty mediums and salvage the inorganic portions to reuse. Once you do switch, you realize how economic a grittier medium really is!

It does take a little adjustment to get used to it... but I think it's well worth it.

Have a lovely day, Everyone!

o

Hello everyone, it's Xuan from the other side of the pond :)

I just went on a trip to the North of Vietnam and have a pic to share with you guys. Have a nice weekend.

o

Thank you everyone for all the advice.
If I want to achieve a straight trunk for my potted lemon trees(Meyer and Eureka), do I have to tie the trunk to a stake?, to train it straight?
Luminita.

o

Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 13:55

Hi, guys. It's surprising to me that 5 years ago there used to be a lot of advice to disagree with on the container gardening forum, but lately everyone has been giving such good advice there aren't many points to contend. I think that rocks, and adds a lot of cred to the forum!

Josh - sphagnum peat usually has a pH somewhere near 4.0, and bark is usually somewhere between 4.0-5.0, but can be lower if it was sored in windrows and underwent some anaerobic composting as a result of not having been turned frequently enough. Obviously, I can't tell you anything conclusive, but if I ask myself whether I'd hold back on the dolomite if I went to all bark & no peat, I'd say not much - maybe 2/3 instead of 1/2 C/cu ft.

Hey, Jodi - good to see you. Send me your address - I have something for you!

MAG, Xuan - What a beautiful picture. The first think I thought of when I saw the beautiful picture was, "I wonder how many potential bonsai there are on that mountainside?" ;-)

Luminata - Meyer tends to grow very straight branches & trunks, but you can't always count on them to be vertical; so, if you want insurance that you'll have a straight/standard trunk, you probably need to assume a hand in it and be vigilant so you can correct anything wayward as soon as it occurs. This, because branching becomes very stiff very quickly, and difficult to correct after that occurs.

Al

o

Will do, Al... I'll email you. You certainly don't have to send me anything, though! :-) I actually have something for you, too... it's been gathering dust, waiting for me to save postage! This economy has us, as the old guy puts it, "broke as a joke"!

Hi, Xuan! It's great to see you! What a gorgeous photo! Beautiful mountains! It's really a beautiful country! I hope I can visit some day... it would be so nice to view it all in person! :-)

Al, I just think it's tough to argue with vetted science, and though it's sometimes difficult to think in new or different terms, or to change from something one has been doing forever and is considered "industry standard", it's really hard to argue with facts and positive results!

And, there's nothing that says a person must change their growing techniques... but most people who read about and understand the physics and science, and give the more aerated, grittier mixes a try, usually end up incorporating at least part of the ideas in their own container growing.

I only wish that avarice wasn't such a huge detriment to society in general today, making most industries forego ethics and honesty in favor of causing repeat consumers.

For myself, I know if I had learned the facts from the very beginning, I'd have been so far ahead... but fallacies have been perpetuated, and gardening is definitely not a one-size-fits-all enterprise. There are so many variables to consider...

Anyway... have a nice day, Everyone!

o

Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 7:46

Sent by a friend. If this doesn't tug at your heartstrings .....

Copy/paste to your browser:

http://silverandgoldandthee.net/V/Sk.html

Al

o

Hello Everyone!

Happy Halloween!!!

Hi Xuan.. What a beautiful picture. Always nice to see you!! Those mountains make me feel so relaxed. They make me want to find a great overlook to just sit and watch the beauty...

HI Jodi!! You always have such nice things to say. I hope you and your family are doing well. Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better. : )

Al.. I just watched that link about Skidboots. BOY! That really did pull at my heartstrings... What a wonderful dog and owner.. Goes to show that our love for our animals is just so deep. Truly touching.

Nice to see that simple can be so valuable...

What a wonderful story..

Thanks for sharing!!

HI Josh .. MIke and everyone!!

Laura

o

That was awesome, Al... it's why we've spent so many years working with our dogs... because there's just no bond quite like it. :-)

Laura, I hope you're alright following the hurricane... I'm not sure how close you are, there. I just hope everything's ok.

That goes for everyone east...

o

Good Morning Everyone :-)
This is just the tread I needed! Thanks Al, and all who have posted here! The pictures and stories are a nice "pick me up"

I didn't get to spend my summer as I usually do.. no garden this year, so I'm kinda sad to see summer go. :-(

I've been watching the sunrise and doing some soul searching..
It's chill here in Tucson, but not too bad.

I've been away from GW and the internet in general for some time now and recently a dear friend and his beautiful mother helped me to see things in a better way. There are certain things and people I need right now to keep me going.. so baby steps.. Today I stopped in here and am glad I did. :-)

A big HUG to a number of friends here that have stuck by me lately. Your friendship is priceless! I've missed you dearly and am working my way back!

Al, I'd love to be in that lavender field too! Of coarse, no book, i'd be soaking up the sun and napping! LOL! Lavender is my all time favorite!

Laura! Congrats on the beautiful baby! Soooo Sweet!

Al, thanks for posting my favorite picture! ;-)

If I can figure out Photobucket after being away for so long, lol.. I will try and post a few pics this weekend. Not much in the way of plants, but a few critters and such. I did grow my own luffas this year.

And have some special chickens that were a "cheer me up" gift that are a lovely reminder of what great people are in this world still..

JoJo

o

Wow, you all are really a tight bunch, aren't you? I'm impressed, it makes my heart happy to see this. I appreciate all the stories and the pictures and the undeniable love for plants that is exhibited here.

Someone else was showing off their's, so here's mine: Reese, my very precocious 14 month old tomboy granddaughter that came slipping into my office the other day. I believe she is a very gifted little lady, both physically and mentally. But then again, I can't help but think this generation of kids in general are way ahead of where we were at their age on account of a lot of things like TV and educational programs and such.

Anyway, she never ceases to amaze me with how much older she seems to be than she actually is.

o

Sid, that's an awful cute baby granddaughter you've got there. I know what you mean about their advanced conditions - mine is 20 months, and she consistently puts her little DVD player onto 'continuous play'; darned if I can figure out how to do it.

Al, I need some info on root pruning for containerized plants, could you shoot me a link to your stuff, I know you've written a bunch, I just don't have time to go searching. And what do you think of the common advice to cut 3 or 4 slits in the bottom of the root-bound mass, and everything will regrow happily, etc.etc.

First time I've stopped by this forum, thoroughly enjoyed the pics and funny stories.

o

Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 0:26

Hi, guys. Thanks, Laura! I was glad to read you came through the storm in pretty good shape, other than that thing about your car. I felt so bad when I read about that.

Hi Jodi - I've made some good friends here who just give off that vibe that sets them apart as people who have a 'deeper than most' connection with their pets, often dogs in particular. I know it's been more than 2 years & I still miss my buddy like all get out, so I figured a lot of you would enjoy the link about Skidboot. I'm grateful to the friend who shared it with me so I could share it with you - one of those near effortless 'pay-it-forwards'. ;-)

JJ - so nice to see you back! I know we all missed you and I'm sure we hope you don't make yourself so scarce. How's Mike doing? I hope things get easier for you guys as the dust from your whirlwind last year settles.

Sidhartha - You have to tell us what your username means to you - why you chose it. .... seen Govinda recently? ;-) What a great novel!

We're a pretty tight group at times, but not cliquish, so feel free to jump in wherever. We drift a bit with life & the seasons, but manage to touch base with each other on a fairly regular basis, though JJ's been away from the forums for quite a while, so it's nice to see her back.

I think we all have that 'nurturing bone' that blesses us or sometimes curses us with the need to nurture SOMETHING. Some of us don't seem to care if it's plants or pets, and I even enjoy nurturing people who nurture plants as much as I like nurturing plants. ;-)

Cute little tyke (granddaughter)! Welcome to the forum. I see you've been around for a month or so, but we haven't seen much of you here yet. I'm sure we all hope you get to be a regular contributor/participant.

FW - I'm glad to have the chance to say welcome to Container Gardening to you, too! Nice to see you here, and thanks for being a good sport in out houseplants discussions - I really mean that. It's refreshing to be able to compare varied perspectives w/o the heat that's so common. I tip my hat to you! Photobucket

Here's the link to the thread about maintaining woody material in containers for the long term. It has quite a bit of info about root maintenance in the OP.

".... what do you think of the common advice to cut 3 or 4 slits in the bottom of the root-bound mass, and everything will regrow happily? For quick fixes, like slightly out of season repots where the plant is healthy and a repot necessary, but the timing a little off, I usually suggest that the grower rip or cut off the bottom few inches of congested roots at the bottom of the root mass, then cut deep vertical slits in the root/soil mass with a sharp utility knife at about 3-4" intervals, then pot up & wait for the next opportune time to do a full repot, at which time you would fully or partially bare root and correct root issues like encircling, potentially girdling, inward growing, j-hooked roots, ..... along with a change of soil to something appropriate to both plant and grower's methodology. If you have any questions or contributions, please feel free to comment or query.

Really glad you dropped by and that you enjoyed the thread. I was hoping it would end up being a bit longer on the 'playful side', to help us avoid that 'just another day at the office' feeling.

Brrrr! Getting cold tonight - going down to 24* - coldest night for us so far this year. Late here - ewyelids at half mast, so it's time to retire. I hope everyone has a good evening and a relaxing weekend!

Al

o

Ironic a neat story of a caring person and his dog VS GW highlighting an ad for The National SPCA when I logged in puts a-lot of thought into either topic for me.

o

"Sidhartha - You have to tell us what your username means to you - why you chose it. .."

In short, I relate. Both to Siddhartha and Hesse. Hesse did as Alfred Edesheim, author of another of my favorites, 'The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah', and went into solitude to meditate and experience the truths he longed to articulate. Edersheim researched and wrote 'Life & times' in solitude for seven years.

".. seen Govinda recently? ;-)"

Had to ponder this for a while, I think I know what you're asking, and the answer is yes, oddly enough, I did indeed run into Govinda back in the summer, one of the most sincere and devoted elders of the Church that I know.

" What a great novel!"

Agree totally, my favorite novel. Truth is truth, a fact is a fact, it doesn't matter where it comes from, whether it's from the Bible, a newspaper or magazine, the Bhagavad Gita, it's still truth. Hesse articulates some deep life truths in the book.

"We're a pretty tight group at times, but not cliquish, so feel free to jump in wherever. We drift a bit with life & the seasons, but manage to touch base with each other on a fairly regular basis, though JJ's been away from the forums for quite a while, so it's nice to see her back.

I think we all have that 'nurturing bone' that blesses us or sometimes curses us with the need to nurture SOMETHING. Some of us don't seem to care if it's plants or pets, and I even enjoy nurturing people who nurture plants as much as I like nurturing plants. ;-)"

It's refreshing to see this sort of friendship openly displayed on an internet forum. I really do appreciate that.

"Cute little tyke (granddaughter)!"

I'm ashamed to say, when our three children were growing up I was mostly consumed with killing injuns and keeping the bears and wolves at bay, and missed out on much of what I'm now experiencing with this granddaughter.

"Welcome to the forum. I see you've been around for a month or so, but we haven't seen much of you here yet. I'm sure we all hope you get to be a regular contributor/participant."

Thanks for the welcome Al. I do intend to be participating more in the future.

Question: Are you 'Al', as in 'Al's Gritty Mix'? (I've thought this to be a commercial brand name)

o

Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 12:41

That's me - even though it was others that added the handles that stuck to the 'gritty mix' and the '5:1:1' mix.

Al

o

Children are a never ending source of joy... and angst... but they are tiny little sponges constantly soaking up more knowledge than we think it's possible for them to hold!

Another wonderful photo addition to the grandchildren posted! She's adorable, Sid!

My husband and I have always been very liberal when it comes to teaching the little ones and allowing exploration of their world... sometimes to the horror of others who don't live in a rural situation... but nonetheless, we find our grandchildren as eager to learn as our children were! And we live in an ever expanding world of technology. Knowledge is power! And the pen is still mightier than the sword!

JoJo, I've missed you! I do hope things are looking up for you. We've been in a bit of a financial funk, ourselves... but as we say, "expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed"! Bad luck is our life, and we've gotten used to it. There's even humor to be found at times. The key, to us, is to be content inside. The material world is inconsequential in the end, anyway. I just hope you're feeling better... and am glad to see you post! :-)

Well... I'm off to get my daily chores done... just stopped in to find out the latest... glad I did.

Have a great day, everyone... and, Happy Growing!

o

Top ten things that indicate you are a garden master

10)You rejoice in rain...even after 10 straight days of it.

9)You have pride in how bad your hands look.

8)You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter.

7)You can give away plants easily, but compost is another thing.

6)Soil test results actually mean something.

5)IPM rules!

4)You'd rather go to a nursery to shop than a clothes store.

3)You look for gardens open to the public whenever you go on vacation.

2)Your non-gardening spouse is actually getting involved with your garden endeavors...digging ponds, building bird houses, watering, pruning, turning compost piles, planting...

And you definitely know your a Master Gardener when...

1)You are surrounded by terrific people who share your passion!

o

Hello Everyone!!

Sid.. Love the cute picture of your Grandaughter!! How sweet is that? Those boots (Uggs?) look so comfortable. She is one little one who reminds me of someone.. LOL.. I love the flashlight in hand. I always reach for my flashlight when i get home from a trip to check on my plants outside at all hours of the night. So, she is right on track!! ;-)

Hi JJ.. SO nice to see you! I hope you and your family are doing well.

My little grandson was born 8 weeks ago and he is a sweet boy!! Love those little guys!! Makes my heart melt everytime i look at him!! ;-)

Hi Jodi... You always have such a wonderful attitude. I thought of you a few days ago when i found that my car had flooding issues with this Hurricane. We are in Virignia Beach which is right on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. We have had our fair share of Hurricanes and are somewhat used to getting prepared. We did see hurricane strenght winds and had major tidal flooding from the huge surge from the hurricane , high tide and a full moon. Made everthing perfect for major flooding. We had a few Large Pines down. Had 10 inches of rain in a 24 hr period. But, we didn't have any damage like the people in New York and New Jersey had. I flew into Newark today and i was shocked to see people still camping out in the airports waiting to get home. The hotel we stayed in had people who were displaced and lost everything. So, it made me think that the small damage that i had and the flooding of my car was nothing..

Life is so important.. things are just things.. they don't mean anything.. Knowing and worrying about some friends in Staten Island bothered me more than my problems.. I did hear that he was alright, but they didn't have power and had some damage to their home. Those people in Staten Island were hit hard. Jersey shore was to, but the loss of life is still climbing in Staten Island. They have no power and they are still staying in their homes because of looters. Temps are down into the 30's. I did see convoys of trucks heading from my area in VB with generators from the military bases heading up to Staten Island. it is unbelivable..

Hi AL. It was horible to see my car. But, like i mentioned to Jodi, this is nothing to what others have lost. I am thankful for all that i have. Things are just things.. You can't replace the ones you love. Friends are hard to find and i wish everyone effected by this hurricane the best . Just know that we all are thinking of you all.

My house is much better. Pines are all cut up and cleanup is almost done. I dont want to see anymore pine cones though! ;-) They are calling for another Northeaster heading our way to be stalling off of the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay with the storm reaching to NJ. Just what they/we need.. Uggg! Hope you are well. Thanks for thinking about me!! My car is drying out and the electrical issues seem to be settling down.

We shall see... ;-)

Hope you stay warm!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Any day you can rise out of bed on your own power, and make it to the bathroom in time, is a good day, Laura! It goes on the plus side! At least, it does for me! :-)

The moment I heard about the hurricane's outer storms making landfall, I called whomever I had a phone number for on the east coast, to make sure they were okay. I didn't have one for you, but something made me feel that you knew what to do, and would be ok. :-) I'm glad to hear that car flooding and pine tree damage were the only bad you really experienced.

I do feel bad for those going through this sort of thing for the first time... how devastating. And those who lost everything...

I've lost everything more times than I can count, and you know... it's all replaceable. What I can't replace are my family and my dear friends. I don't count my health... lost that a long time ago... but I'm alive, can still kick pretty good, and every day is a new one. That's been my way of thinking since my Mom said that to me once, long ago... every day is a new day, a new beginning, to make of what you will.

I'm not religious... but I believe that what goes around, comes around. We reap what we sow. Karma, and all that. And I always feel like if I have a good day, it's because at some point, I helped someone else along the way. I dunno...

Anyway... I'm glad you and yours are alright, Laura. And from what I'm hearing, a lot east is beginning to normalize, so there's that.

Now, we just have to batten down the hatches for winter! Yuck! I hate the cold more every year!

Happy Growing!

o

Al, thanks for the info (just what I needed), cordiality (also needed), and kind words (yep, need that too.) I really enjoy sharing info and experiences about plants; they have much to teach us.

MrL, I'm so reassured to know that I fully qualify as a Master Gardener.

For everyone touched by this terrible storm, please keep faith and hope. Together we will find our way through this peril.

Bona Fortuna for all

o

Oh, it's so nice to see you all here! My eyes are heavy too but I couldn't contain myself from saying goodnight to you all.
I love this thread and just about everyone here.
I've got some really close friends here, some of whom I have known for years!

Thank you Jodik for calling and checking up on us! It was so kind of you:-) We really appreciate that and send you much love.

Jojo, it just a blessing to hear from you and Mom is sitting right here telling me to give her friends a huge hug, and you an extra one!

Al , I am so happy to see you are well and thriving at this time:-0) Mom says hello to you!

Josh, when you come back, you'll see that I have finally had a hard frost tonight and every plant I own is finally inside. Now, to rearrange them into their permanent places tomorrow. Boy, is that exhausting!

Laura, when are you coming out again? And we wish you a beautiful time ahead with such a beautiful child. We miss having breakfast with you. Thank you for checking up on us too. What a storm, right> I am so glad you made it ok.

Theficuswrangler..Nice to meet you!

Wes, good to see you too. I got quite a laugh out of that.

Sid, what a cute picture! Nice to meet you too.

Xuan...What a beautiful picture. Oh, I wish I could pass through there with a convertible. Hope all is well with you.

Hugs to all my close lady friends here and a special WELCOME back to Jojo.
Mom has a surprise for you. I'll be texting you for your address soon.

Nite

o

Mike, I'd be sorely remiss in my friendship if I didn't pick up a phone to make sure you and Mom were okay during such an event! I know you'd do the same for me. I was so glad to learn that you weren't in any direct danger! :-)

Glad to hear your plants are all in. I expect pictures once you get them all arranged, you know! Just kidding! Only if you want to, that is. ;-)

I, myself, am finally in the process of going through every pot and plant I have, getting rid of anything not viable, and re-potting everything salvageable. I was so devastated by that NBF infestation that I just lost heart, and have been neglecting most everything.

I've been slowly, pot by pot, going through my bulbs and other plants, mixing fresh medium, cleaning pots and saucers, scraping basal plates on bulbs, and doing a thorough cleanup and re-pot job.

I'm sad to report that my oldest and dearest bulb, Minerva, was a victim. She's gone. I'm rather upset about that one, as I've had it for over 14 years, through neglect, multiple moves, and it represented my wonderful American Bulldog, Minerva, as a namesake, who passed away several years ago. Much like the dog, the bulb gave me untold years of enjoyment and pleasure, her beautiful blooms arriving faithfully, like clockwork, every spring. And though she was only a $3 bulb I happened upon at WalMart one year, I will miss her.

But, life goes on... and I have many bulbs that survived, or avoided being victims of the devastating insect that is the Narcissus Bulb Fly. How it managed to enter my home, I'm still not sure, but I've employed chemical measures to ensure it never happens again... and I really dislike using them. I must, however.

In my cleanup, I've discovered that several of my favorite bulbs are still alive and well, so I'll be keeping a much closer eye on them from now on! Surprisingly, most of my Cybisters survived, including "La Paz" and "Ruby Meyer"... and I still have "H. xJohnsonii", one of the oldest cultivars. I still have a couple more shelves of pots to go through, but I'm getting there. Some bulbs are moving into dormancy, or a winter rest period, so I don't expect to see much green until spring, but I'm actually happy as I move through this huge task. It's amazing how working with plants and getting one's hands in the soil can lift the spirits! Even after something as horrible as mass loss due to insect damage.

As the seasons change from decent outdoor weather that I can work in and enjoy, to colder weather that finds its way deep into my bones and hurts like the dickens, I'll surely find more time to join in here. It's nice to see new faces, so to speak, and talk more with old friends. I'm really glad Al kept this "anything goes" thread alive!

JoJo, I'm just so glad to see you here... I well know that life has a way of pushing us into some bad places, and I'm happy to see that you're here, which has to mean things are getting better. Keep the faith, sister... tomorrow is truly a new day. :-)

Al, as always, I can't help but think of you as I'm elbow deep in a bucket of fir bark and other goodies! You can't imagine how much you've opened my world to the new and exciting realm of using science and physics, melding them with plant growing! It might not be new, per se', but it's causing me to learn a lot of new things that I might not have otherwise learned!

Josh, I hope your weather is decent, your plants in fine shape, and I picture you enjoying new and different cuisine with family and friends as the seasons change, the scent of pine and the mountains all around...

And, Laura, you're so kind with your words... I have to tell you, though, that I do whine occasionally about my pains, but my husband is the only beneficiary! ;-)

Have a great day, everyone! I'm off to the Post Office to get a package out...

o

Hey you guys, this is my first post in this forum, although I have read a ton of material. I have acquired the ingredients for the gritty mix and am really excited to get started. It has been quite a fun process, especially when researching something that I have never heard of, like 'Turface', then going on an adventure to buy it and finally returning home victorious! Thank you for all the info you guys have shared.

Hey Al, check out what I made to screen and rinse stuff. It is very crude, but my kids love shaking it and there is something about the Turface that everyone likes to play with it while it's on the screen. Its 2' by 2' and fits over one of those big plastic tubs.

Ok, back to work, hope everyone has a great day!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 4:26

Well ..... WELCOME, Desertgirl! It's always great to add another enthusiast. That's one thing it's hard to hide, and something we all appreciate in the members that show up on any forum - enthusiasm.

That's quite a feat of engineering you have there in your sifter. It looks very servicable and handy - good job! Glad to see you were interested enough in the well-aerated soils to try the gritty mix. I'm always very interested in knowing how well you do with it, especially comparatively speaking, so I hope you're around long enough to make a batch of new friends and get to be a part of the fun we all have here. I'm honored that you picked one of my threads to introduce yourself. See you around!

..... always good to hear what my other friends have to say, too. Hi, guys!

Al

o

Hi All!
My gosh this thread has grown! I keep trying to get back here and things come up! I'm using my lap top now which is small print so bear with me for any typos! LOL!

Al..
This morning on the radio.. I heard the song "you can call me Al" I laughed out loud. I remember an old thread here that you had joked about that song with someone. Made my day. :-)

I want to thank everyone for the welcome back! I know i've been gone a long time. almost a year and 1/2! I lost a lot of plants (long story) due to not being able to pot up and lost heart with them. and really went into a funk. :-( It's good to be back, this is where I need to be . With friends .

Mike and Josh, a big hello! And Hugs back to Mom !!

Al... Mike is doing pretty good . Healing slowly, and in fairly good spirits. He's being stubborn about getting up and moving around though. Its been a long exhausting few months , for us all. I hope life gets back to somewhat normal soon.

Laura, so good to see you! I'm glad your O.K. I didn't realize just all the areas the storm had hit. I was watching news one night and saw it in Mike and moms corner and about went nuts and called him right then! So good you are both safe!

Jodi , I've missed you so much too! we will catch up soon! Im sorry to hear you guys are in a funk. I hope things look up for you soon!! I wish $$ were our only worries, but I think we will do O.K. in the long run.
Were at a point we get a little breather. I had to come back here to save what little sanity I have left! ;-)

Mrlike2u~ I love that top 10 list! ROFL!!! That's me for sure! LOL!

I've been wanting to show off the gift Daddy made me! He surprised me with this a few weeks ago! Been wanting him to make me one for a long time!

My new TV tray end table.. lol. not sure what to call it..
Dad made me this!

New TV Tray Table

This dark wood is inlay (i think is what you call it ) :-)

New TV Tray Table

Storage! :-)

New TV Tray Table

And top opens to be a TV tray or lap top desk ;-)

New TV Tray Table

I jumped up and down, did a happy dance, cried, hugged dad to death! LOL!

Oh MY!!! Its 2 am and alarm goes off at 5am! I guess I should go get some sleep!

JoJo

o

jodik-"My husband and I have always been very liberal when it comes to teaching the little ones and allowing exploration of their world... sometimes to the horror of others who don't live in a rural situation... but nonetheless, we find our grandchildren as eager to learn as our children were! And we live in an ever expanding world of technology. Knowledge is power! And the pen is still mightier than the sword!"

I relate totally with what you've said, my wife and I gave our 'country bumpkins' great leeway to explore their world and are very thankful for the responsible level headed individuals that they have matured into. And I must admit, our rural setting played a huge part in their developement, and we also tried to teach them as much wisdom as we could.

loveplants2-"Sid.. Love the cute picture of your Grandaughter!! How sweet is that? Those boots (Uggs?) look so comfortable. She is one little one who reminds me of someone.. LOL.. I love the flashlight in hand. I always reach for my flashlight when i get home from a trip to check on my plants outside at all hours of the night. So, she is right on track!! ;-)"

She is indeed sweet and very keen to her world arond her. I've got the duty of sitting with her this afternoon and looking forward to it, there's always always something new that she has learned or does each time I see her, it's amazing. She has her own flashlight, but that's a 'sippy cup' she's packin' around with her in the photo.

meyermike 1micha-"Sid, what a cute picture! Nice to meet you too."

And likewise, glad to make your acquaintance.

desertgirl1702-"Hey you guys, this is my first post in this forum, although I have read a ton of material. I have acquired the ingredients for the gritty mix and am really excited to get started. It has been quite a fun process, especially when researching something that I have never heard of, like 'Turface', then going on an adventure to buy it and finally returning home victorious!..."

I relate, I've read a ton of very useful material from the GW folks (mostly from internet searches) before joining and taking part. I'm getting an interest in container plants and am realizing that this forum is a virtual gold mine of solid information. I've much to learn, like 'gritty mix' or '5:1:1 mix' and now 'Turface', heheh, and as time allows me I believe I will learn. Welcome to the forum. :-)

o

Coffee...Cinnamon Roll Flavored Oat Meal, and a Big piece of Bread Pudding made with Chocolate Chips and Banana for Breakfast! :-) Now I'm full and don't really want to motivate, but boy was it good! LOL!

Sid,
Your grand baby is cute! Tomboy, I love it! I was too. lol.. and now I'm always chasing some sort of critter or goofing off somehow. lol..

Just a week ago I grabbed a baby snake, when it got mad I dropped it and caught it to show hubby. He thinks it may have been a baby rattle snake. LOL! I keep him on his toes for sure. ;-)

Desertgirl~ I love your sifter! If my son sees it he will want one too. lol.. He has his own collection of cactus and succulents and has learned to make his own mix.

Well, I really need to try and motivate. LOL! Have a great day all and I will be back later.

JoJo

o

Sid, it's nice to find someone who understands a life lived, other than one in today's suburbia. :-) No offense to suburban dwellers. But there's a huge difference, I think, between what we find acceptable for children of certain ages, and what the modern world deems acceptable, by way of media and certain social ideals, if you catch my drift.

I'm forever getting lambasted over the fact that our eldest son rode his own quad at age 2, and that all three of our kids attended hunter's safety courses and went hunting with Dad at young ages. The fact that we hunt and trapped at one time draws instant gasps and outrage... though today, like you, we have three very levelheaded, happy, successful adult children... and great grandkids! :-)

I suppose you could say we're nonconformists, liberal, brutally honest, with a code of honor that can't be broken, and a tight knit group when it comes to family and friends. We remember our roots, and our priorities differ greatly than those pushed by today's media.

Anyhoo... gotta run and get chores done. Then, it's off to grocery shop. Oh, joy. ;-)

Have a lovely day, all!

o

OMG Rina! Can I steal your GED questions? That is hysterical!
Sharon

o

LMBO I just read the taxi story! Thanks for the laugh Al. I haven't been here in a while so I am trying to get caught up, that will never happen. lol

o

Sharon

No problem...

Here some more funnies:

Signs
Sign over a Gynecologist's Office:
'Dr. Jones, at your cervix.'
In a Podiatrist's office:
Time Wounds All Heels.
On a Septic Tank Truck:
Yesterday's Meals--on Wheels
At a Proctologist's door:
To expedite your visit, please back in.
On a Plumber's truck:
We Repair What Your Husband Fixed
On another Plumber's truck:
Don't sleep with a drip; Call your plumber!
On a Church's Billboard:
7 days without God makes one weak.
At a Tire Shop in Milwaukee:
Invite us to your next blowout.
At a Towing company:
We don't charge an arm and a leg: We want tows.
On an Electrician's truck:
Let Us Remove Your Shorts
In a Nonsmoking Area:
If we see smoke, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action.
On a Maternity Room door:
Push. Push. Push!
At an Optometrist's Office:
If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place.
On a Taxidermist's window:
We really know our stuff.
On a Fence:
Salesmen Welcome! Dog Food Is Expensive!
At a Car Dealership:
The best way to get back on your feet: miss a car payment.
Outside a Muffler Shop:
No appointment necessary; We hear you coming.
In a Veterinarian's waiting room:
Be back in 5 minutes. Sit! Stay!
At the Electric Company
We will be de-lighted if you send in your payment.
However, if you don't, you will be.
In a Restaurant window:
Don't stand there and be hungry; come on in
and get fed up.
In the front yard of a Funeral Home:
Drive carefully! We'll wait...
At a Propane Filling Station:
Thank heaven for little grills.
And don't forget the sign at a
CHICAGO RADIATOR SHOP:
Best place in town to take a leak
Sign on the back of another Septic Tank Truck:
CAUTION - This Truck is Full of Political Promises

o

Those are cute! There's actually a hair salon in Chicago called "Curl Up & Dye"... I expect they get quite a lot of business on the name, alone!

o

Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 10:10

In the same vein:

Cocktail lounge, Norway :
LADIES ARE REQUESTED NOT TO HAVE CHILDREN IN THE BAR.

At a Budapest zoo :
PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUITABLE FOOD,GIVE IT TO THE GUARD ON DUTY.

Doctors office, Rome :
SPECIALIST IN WOMEN AND OTHER DISEASES

Hotel, Acapulco :
THE MANAGER HAS PERSONALLY PASSED ALL THE WATER SERVED HERE.

Information booklet about using a hotel air conditioner, Japan :
COOLES AND HEATES : IF YOU WANT CONDITION OF WARM AIR IN YOUR ROOM, PLEASE CONTROL YOURSELF

Car rental brochure, Tokyo :
WHEN PASSENGER OF FOOT HEAVE IN SIGHT, TOOTLE THE HORN.
TRUMPET HIM MELODIOUSLY AT FIRST, BUT IF HE STILL OBSTACLES YOUR PASSAGE THEN TOOTLE HIM WITH VIGOUR.

In a Nairobi restaurant :
CUSTOMERS WHO FIND OUR WAITRESSES RUDE OUGHT TO SEE THE MANAGER.

On the grounds of a private school :
NO TRESPASSING WITHOUT PERMISSION.

On a highway :
TAKE NOTICE : WHEN THIS SIGN IS UNDER WATER, THIS ROAD IS IMPASSABLE.

On a poster at Kencom :
ARE YOU AN ADULT THAT CANNOT READ? IF SO, WE CAN HELP

In a City restaurant :
OPEN SEVEN DAYS A WEEK, AND WEEKENDS TOO.

On a mental institution building :
MENTAL HEALTH PREVENTION CENTRE.

A sign seen on an automatic restroom hand dryer :
DO NOT ACTIVATE WITH WET HANDS

In a maternity ward :
NO CHILDREN ALLOWED

In a cemetery :
PERSONS ARE PROHIBITED FROM PICKING FLOWERS FROM ANY BUT THEIR OWN GRAVES.

Tokyo hotel's rules and regulations :
GUESTS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO SMOKE OR DO OTHER DISGUSTING BEHAVIOURS IN BED.

On the menu of a Swiss restaurant :
OUR WINES LEAVE YOU NOTHING TO HOPE FOR.

In a Tokyo bar :
SPECIAL COCKTAILS FOR THE LADIES WITH NUTS.

In a Bangkok temple :
IT IS FORBIDDEN TO ENTER A WOMAN EVEN A FOREIGNER IF DRESSED AS A MAN.

Hotel room notice, Chiang-Mai, Thailand :
PLEASE DO NOT BRING SOLICITORS INTO YOUR ROOM.

Hotel brochure, Italy :
THIS HOTEL IS RENOWNED FOR ITS PEACE AND SOLITUDE. IN FACT,CROWDS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD FLOCK HERE TO ENJOY ITS SOLITUDE.

Hotel lobby, Bucharest :
THE LIFT IS BEING FIXED FOR THE NEXT DAY. DURING THAT TIME WE REGRET THAT YOU WILL BE UNBEARABLE.

Hotel elevator, Paris :
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR VALUES AT THE FRONT DESK.

Hotel, Yugoslavia :
THE FLATTENING OF UNDERWEAR WITH PLEASURE IS THE JOB OF THE CHAMBERMAID.

Hotel, Japan :
YOU ARE INVITED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE CHAMBERMAID.

In the lobby of a Moscow hotel across from a Russian Orthodox monastery :
YOU ARE WELCOME TO VISIT THE CEMETERY WHERE FAMOUS RUSSIAN AND SOVIET COMPOSERS, ARTISTS, AND WRITERS ARE BURIED DAILY EXCEPT THURSDAY.

Hotel catering to skiers, Austria :
NOT TO PERAMBULATE THE CORRIDORS IN THE HOURS OF REPOSE IN THE BOOTS OF ASCENSION.

Supermarket, Hong Kong :
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, WE RECOMMEND COURTEOUS, EFFICIENT SELF-SERVICE

From the "Soviet Weekly" :
THERE WILL BE A MOSCOW EXHIBITION OF ARTS BY 15,000 SOVIET REPUBLIC PAINTERS AND SCULPTORS. THESE WERE EXECUTED OVER THE PAST TWO YEARS.

In an East African newspaper :
A NEW SWIMMING POOL IS RAPIDLY TAKING SHAPE SINCE THE CONTRACTORS HAVE THROWN IN THE BULK OF THEIR WORKERS.

Hotel, Vienna :
IN CASE OF FIRE, DO YOUR UTMOST TO ALARM THE HOTEL PORTER.

A sign posted in Germany's Black Forest :
IT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN ON OUR BLACK FOREST CAMPING SITE THAT PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT SEX, FOR INSTANCE, MEN AND WOMEN, LIVE TOGETHER IN ONE TENT UNLESS THEY ARE MARRIED WITH EACH OTHER FOR THIS PURPOSE.

Hotel, Zurich :
BECAUSE OF THE IMPROPRIETY OF ENTERTAINING GUESTS OF THE OPPOSITE SEX IN THE BEDROOM, IT IS SUGGESTED THAT THE LOBBY BE USED FOR THIS PURPOSE.

An advertisement by a Hong Kong dentist :
TEETH EXTRACTED BY THE LATEST METHODISTS.

A laundry in Rome :
LADIES, LEAVE YOUR CLOTHES HERE AND SPEND THE AFTERNOON HAVING A GOOD TIME.

Tourist agency, Czechoslovakia :
TAKE ONE OF OUR HORSE-DRIVEN CITY TOURS. WE GUARANTEE NO MISCARRIAGES.

Advertisement for donkey rides, Thailand :
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RIDE ON YOUR OWN ASS?

The box of a clockwork toy made in Hong Kong :
GUARANTEED TO WORK THROUGHOUT ITS USEFUL LIFE.

In a Swiss mountain inn :
SPECIAL TODAY - NO ICE-CREAM.

Airline ticket office, Copenhagen :
WE TAKE YOUR BAGS AND SEND THEM IN ALL DIRECTIONS.

On the door of a Moscow hotel room :
IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST VISIT TO THE USSR, YOU ARE WELCOME TO IT.

Al

o

Cold, Wet , and Dreary today. A good day to start baking. :-) I have a freezer out on the front patio that hadn't been opened in years! Had lost the key! I recently defrosted it, which took a week! It was a solid wall of Ice!!! And now I'm anxious to fill it! LOL! Gonna make tons of Banana bread to get me through the summer, when it's too hot to bake! hehe...

Still have tons of work to do in the craft/plant room too.

Hope you all have a good day!

JoJo

o

Don't know if these boys are from KY, TN, WV, or NC :-)

Two rednecks are out hunting, and as they are walking along they come upon a huge sink hole in the ground. They approached it and are amazed by the size of it.

The first hunter says " Wow, 'at's some sink hole, I can't even see the bottom, I wonder how deep it is?"

The second hunter says" I don't know, let's throw something down and listen and see how long it takes to hit bottom."

The first hunter says "There's this old transmission here, give me a hand and we'll throw it in and see."

So they pick it up and carry it over, and count one, and two, and three, and throw it in the sink hole.

They are standing there listening and looking over the edge and they hear a rustling in the brush behind them. As they turn around they see a goat come crashing through the brush, run up to the sink hole, and with no hesitation, jump in head first.

While they are standing there looking at each other, looking in the sink hole, and trying to figure out what that was all about, an old farmer walks up.

"Didn't happen to see my goat round here, did ya?" the farmer asks.

The first hunter says " We sure nuff did. We was justa standin here a minute ago and yer goat come running out of them bushes over yonder doin' bout a hunert miles an hour and he jumped headfirst into this here sink hole!"

The old farmer says, "Naw, couldn't have been my goat, I had him chained to a transmission!"

o

LOL! To all of it!

Al, you ever notice how some things just don't translate well into English spoken by Americans? ;-)

You know, I've always wondered why they put instructions in braille at drive-thru banks... any ideas on that one?

o

• Posted by filix 5 maine (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 16:52

Filix just checking in. Al you won the elephany ear leaf contest. I killed mine over the winter. :( filix

o

Hello, friends!

Jodi, the weather has turned chill here, and so my outdoor gardening season is at an end.
But I've been out and about in the woods quite a bit. Currently helping a friend clear the
underbrush on his property (for insurance purposes). We've developed seven fire-pits so far....
This one is my favorite. Lots of moss for Mike ;-)

o

....Oh, and what to do with those spoiling Jack-o-Lanterns? ;-)

o

Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 15:32

Jodi - like "Throw me down the stairs a quarter?"

Filix - you're still the elephant ear king, as far as I'm concerned. I had some 4 foot leaves this year, but I'm certain the leaves on yours were much larger. If mine over-winters ok in the garage, I'll try again next year to top you, with a 2 year old plant, but you still da man! Show us your picture!

Josh - feed those punkins to the deer & bears ...... and the birds/critters LOVE the seeds, if you don't roast them for yourself.

Al

o

Wow Josh! I wish I could be up close and personal with that Moss, Thank so much for thinking of me!

Hello Jodik, Al, Jojo, Felix and many others. I

It was 65 at 7am this morning then a thunderstorm rolled in, it hailed and dropped to 45 degrees within 10 minutes! It was showery all day, but at the end of the day, this is what I saw at a friends home. I wanted to share:-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The colors were amazing tonight. Get a good rest all:-)

o

Good one, Al! :-)

Beautiful shots, Josh! I love those mossy rocks!

Two days ago, the weather here was sunny and gorgeous! It was t-shirt weather, so I managed to get most of my winter prep work done outside... whew! I pulled my hip out doing it, and since everything is connected in one way or another, my ankle on that side felt like it was sprained.

Lucky for me, the old man is fantastic at putting me back together... learned from many years in martial arts training. I feel almost as good as new! Then, wouldn't you know it, the weather takes a huge dive and we end up with cold, wicked winds, cold rains, and just all around yucky weather. So, now my bones and joints are protesting. Today was fairly mild, but still chilly, and last night we got a wicked frost!

The only thing I have yet to do is wait for a hard freeze so all the potted stock goes into dormancy, and get it all packed away for winter. What a job that's going to be!

The area you live in is so beautiful! The woods beg to be hiked, and I can almost smell that wonderful aroma of a good campfire!

Well... it's been a very long day for me... I'm pooped. It's time to relax and give this old body a little rest.

Have a great tomorrow, everybody! :-)

o

Hey!

Al, I wasn't there for the carving (gutting of seeds), nor was it my pumpkin....
I just show up to burn the dang things ;-)

Mike, great shots. A very pleasing color palette...soft pinks, golds, oranges.
Your high of 65F beat my high of 64F, believe it or not! We're down to a reasonable 45F now (10:10pm).

Jodi, I remind myself every day how lucky I am to live here. I actually availed myself
of some hiking this afternoon. I had the trails all to myself...didn't pass another hiker
in the two hours I was out. I went off-trail for a while, and came upon some neat sights.
I hope you're all rested up, Jodi! I'll keep the fireside warm for ya.

A shot from today's hike...Mike, I thought you'd like some more moss ;-)

o

Hey Josh!
Did you forget I love moss too! ;-) Why does Mike get it all? lol..

So Beautiful!!! We don't see much of it here! My hikes aren't as green as yours. lol...

A squirrel ate Jace's pumpkin! LOL! The next morning it was pretty chewed up. :-)

Mike, beautiful pictures!! Yours too Josh!!

Jodi, I hope your doing better! I know too well about overdoing it at times. I started to tear out the oleanders this summer, wow! What a job!! I've been the past few days getting ready for winter too.

We did have a cold few days, but getting back to where we should be. High today will be in the 70's! But we did drop to about 60* for a day or 2. High 40's to low 50's at night. I know, no one is feeling sorry for me. lol..

Hey, did anyone see the pictures I posted up thread a ways of the table my dad made me? I'm not fishing for compliments, but no one has mentioned it, which for a few here I know is odd, and I feel like it's invisible. ROFL! just wondering if you all see it, or is my computer playing games with my mind.

Well.. I'm off today for a much needed escape with my mom shopping. I'm broke, but am her taxi, and she needs to shop. lol..
My Jeep broke down a few weeks ago to the point of needing a tow home. $65! :-( Im so sad about that! no telling when Mike will get to it. So for now I have his truck! It's a lot compared to what I'm used to driving, but I'm doing better about not catching curbs with the back end when I turn. LOL! I'm used to a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, now am driving a F250, extended cab, long bed! lol...

Everyone have a good day! I'll look in later. :-)

JoJo

o

A furniture dealer from Knoxville, Tennessee, decided that he wanted to expand the line of furniture in his store, so he decided to go to Paris, France to see what he could find.

After arriving in Paris (this being his first trip to the French capitol), he met with some manufacturers and finally selected a line that he thought would sell well back home in Tennessee.

To celebrate the new acquisition, he decided to visit a small bistro and have a glass of wine. As he sat enjoying his wine, he noticed that the small place was quite crowded, and that the one other chair at his table was the only vacant seat in the house.

Before long, a very beautiful young Parisian woman came to his table, asked him something in French (which he did not understand), and motioned toward the chair.

He invited her to sit down. He tried to speak to her in English, but she did not speak his language so, after a couple of minutes of trying to communicate with her, he took a napkin and drew a picture of a wine glass and showed it her. She nodded, and he ordered a glass of wine for her.

After sitting together at the table for a while, he took another napkin, and drew a picture of a plate with food on it, and she nodded.

They left the bistro and found a quiet cafe that featured a small group playing romantic music. They ordered dinner, after which he took another napkin and drew a picture of a couple dancing. She nodded, and they got up to dance. They danced until the cafe closed and the band was packing up.
Back at their table, the young lady took a napkin and drew a picture of a four-poster bed.
To this day, he has no idea how she figured out he was in the furniture business.

o

I'm sorry, JoJo... my mind has been elsewhere. It's a cool table... and I like how it flips out to become a tray table. Very nice! And storage space, to boot! Excellent gift! Your Dad is very handy! That's the only thing my husband can't do... work with wood. Carpentry and woodworking are just not his thing. :-)

Another lovely photo, Josh... gosh, look at all that moss! I love camping, sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmallows or making s'mores... which, believe it or not, I had for the first time ever this past summer! Delicious!

Cool rainbow shot, Mike! Nice colors! I've been too lazy to upload my camera lately, but I caught some good shots, myself, of a few things... like the last roses of the season, and whatnot. I'll try to remember to get that done in the morning. For right now... I'm just physically done in and need to rest.

Thank you for all the nice thoughts and good wishes, everyone. My body is failing me, and there's nothing I can do about it, but try to take it slower and rest when needed. My problem is... I have so much to do, and I'm frustrated by the fact that my body refuses to cooperate! I'll live... I just have to learn my limitations! :-)

Wishing you all a good evening... and a nice tomorrow! :-)

o

Hi Jodik!
Thanks!! What a relief! I was starting to worry I was the only one seeing it! ROFL!!

He's made the family some amazing picture frames and small pieces of furniture!
His wood shop is large enough to hold 6 medium size vehicles! He used to be a mechanic and built the wood shop when he sold the auto repair business!

Wood working isn't for everyone! ;-) My dad couldn't get around a computer like Larry. ;-)

Mom and I went shopping today and she got me "a little black dress"! for an early b-day present!! You'd love it Jodik, kinda a cowl neck. I'll send pics later. ;-)

Girl, I wish I lived closer to you, or you lived here! I wish I could help you with things you need to do! I want to travel and spend time with a few here in the next year or so. ;-)
Get some rest!!

That moss is just breathtaking! I may have to print that one and hang it on the wall in my plant room! :-)

JoJo

o

Jojo..I too am very sorry! I saw that table, but I think that day and found myself stuffing meyself into it and slamming the door shut!

It's been tough with tiredness, the weather changes, dealing with morons, and trying to keep the dang squirrels out of my moss planter, oh yes, and covering my pond up so it won't freeze this early and killing off those dreaded mice!!! Thanks so much Jodik for your help on that!

Jojo, really, when I saw it, I was in love with it and decided to invite myself into one of it's holding spaces:-)
It's beautiful and great craftsmanship!

By the way, have I already told you how much I and I am sure many others are to have you back in our arms! My Mom loves quite a few of you here, and believe me when I tell you that it was not the same with you missing in action Jojo.

Sheesh, I wished I lived closer to Josh with all that Moss, Bonfires, drinks, and stuff, and then still you all. I guess Wes and I are lucky to live in the same state:-0)
Any time I need anything, he would help.

Thanks for the comments on my pictures! Yes, that was a very first time I ever saw a sunset like that here. It was a very weird day with thunder showers and then freezing cold weather.
The only plants left outside and brought in at night are my Olive Trees.

Jojo and Jodik, isn't that Moss just amazing?! It's even on the trees. I have never seen anything like that. I had a talk with Josh the other day and I told him I would love to go for a hike with him. Maybe some day we will. It's free to walk through nature and yet so breath taking.

Jojo and Jodik..HUGS and handshakes to all my guy friends here. I hope our buddy 'Al' is ok. My mother is always wondering where he is.

Mike

o

Ooh! What a coincidence, JoJo! I finally got myself a "little black dress", only it's grey! It's a knit, cowl neck (like yours)... and I got a sheer, animal print/stripe over piece for it in black and a grey/white. It comes to just above the knee, so it can be formal... or not.

I actually got it for my son's wedding. I wore it with grey suede ankle boots with heels, matching hose, and it actually looked pretty fantastic! I paired it with pearl teardrop earrings (that I made), and a silver locket necklace. Boy, were my feet killing me by the end of the evening! I just can't wear heels anymore! :-)

Congratulations on the "little black dress"! THE staple clothing article every woman should have in her closet! ;-)

Larry's shop is actually in the tiny apartment we share. I call it "Frankenstein's Lab! He's got a large desk/table set up in a window alcove, with a magnifying light, soldering equipment, Dreml and accessories, and all his tools and parts. It's across the room from my plant window alcove, so I have to keep humidity rather low. I've been thinking of setting up a little table top fountain, though... that should help me, and not bother him too much.

Speaking of... I did another round of work today on plant cleanup. I managed to rescue a few bulblets that were buried under the soil surface in some pots, and actually discovered that my little white fairy lilies are still alive... they were just resting. :-)

All in all, I've lost a lot of bulbs... too many to count. But surprisingly, my collection still contains many of my favorites, and many of the more rare and unusual types! I guess the Narcissus Bulb Fly prefers the larger hybrids, thank goodness! Actually, I think I just got lucky.

I did manage to upload a few photos this morning, and have a few prepared for show and tell...

This is Rosie, my bed buddy...
Photobucket

Lycoris Squamigera, also known as Naked Ladies!
Photobucket

Belamcanda, grown for the first time. These are in gallon pots.
Photobucket

Crepe Myrtle, which normally doesn't do well this far north... except for a very few varieties.
Photobucket

Another Crepe Myrtle...
Photobucket

One side of the new Trellis garden, planted with Rose "Eden", Daylily "Wild Horses" and another that I can't name at the moment, some Coral Bells... and it looks like some burdock, which you can ignore! ;-)
Photobucket

These are a few Roses of this past season, very few which I'm able to name without checking tags!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoy growing them!

JoJo, if we lived close to each other, we'd get into too much gardening trouble! Can you imagine the number of plants we could grow together?!! ;-) But really, it would be nice... we'd each have the other to help when the need arose. I'd like that. :-)

Well... another exhausting day goes in the books. I accomplished a lot, and I'm very satisfied at the progress I'm making. At this rate, I might actually get everything done before snow hits... knock on wood!

Have a great evening, and a pleasant tomorrow. (Gee, I sound like a newscaster.)

Happy Gardening! :-)

o

Hello Everyone!!

Love all of the beautiful pics!!

Jodi.. The roses are stunning and "Rosie" is such a sweetheart!! Love her!!

Josh.. The fire makes me want to roast marshmellows and sit and listen to what is in the woods on a cold night..

The pic of the trees with all of the moss looks like a pic from a hiking magazine. Just beautiful!!

Jojo.. You are so lucky to have you dad around.. That was very nice of him to make that for you!! Looks wonderful!!

Mike.. Love the rainbows.. just gorgeous!! Now, to go and find the "pot of gold.." :-)

Al.. Had to laugh .. Way to funny!! I need to take a pic of this family business that is on my way to work. I have always thought that i need to take a pic and send it to the Jay Leno Show. I will stop soon and then post. Way to funny!!

Rina... Love yours too! Made me chuckle!!

MrLike2u.. Cute!!

Take care!!

Laura

o

I read through this and laughed at the jokes, admired the pictures, and had a good time. I can't believe that it took so long for comments to happen for jojo's end table. I know it isn't a plant or a pup, but it's really neat! And I love mountains so I loved haxuan's pic too. And all the tiny plants are clever. I inherited a property with about 40 roses, and one of the few that had a tag looks like jodik's third one down. Mine is "Nancy Reagan", so maybe that is what it is. I'm no expert, though. I don't know much about roses. And I like seeing the cotton in the field. I enjoy seeing the crops growing around here, especially sunflowers. When I first moved here I was driving across South Dakota and stopped at about every overpass to take a picture of the wind blowing through the corn, beans, etc. It's lovely.

o

Thanks, everyone!

A good guess, thank you, Aseedisapromise... but I'm sure it's not "Nancy Reagan". I'd remember if I saw that name tag come through as I was potting up new arrivals. It may be a Buck... I'm thinking possibly something like "Winter Sunset", or it could be "Aloha". Those two sound familiar without researching, or going out to search down tags.

Congratulations on your new property of roses! This is an exciting time for rose growers in northern climes... there's so much being done in the hybridizing of truly winter hardy rose varieties! I attached a link at the bottom of my post that you might enjoy... if you haven't already found them! I love to drool over the photographs! :-)

Every rose we have is own-root, none are Tea Roses, and all must be able to withstand our harsh winters with little else but a layer of mulch. We've found that own-root plants survive much better, so we avoid grafted plants. Old Garden Roses, Buck Roses, the Canadian Series, and several other groups of roses do very well in northern zones, many without any protection, aside from a little mulch!

I hate plants that require too much fussing, so we grow only plants that can pretty much take care of themselves... aside from an occasional pruning, feeding, and mulching. I lay soaker hoses out every spring, threading them through the beds so I can conserve water in dry weather, and keep the moisture at the root zone where it's needed.

Many of our roses are old ramblers, climbers, species, shrubs, and miniatures... though we do have a few David Austin English roses and a few with German origins out in the beds. We also have a few Knock Out Roses in various colors, and they are so carefree, I almost feel like I'm cheating when I grow them!

Thanks, Laura! I wish the picture of Rosie didn't show that odd "night vision" reflection in her eyes, and the photo makes her look totally undershot, though she's not. She's got a bit of an under bite, and usually looks adorable with only the one snaggle tooth sticking out. It's a bad picture, but the only one I have at the moment. Every time she sees the camera, she can't, and won't, hold still... you know how it is! :-)

As a footnote, my computer automatically installed some Windows updates last night, and for some reason, they made my whole system go haywire! My desktop files are now hidden somewhere, my email is devoid of its folders and address book, and I couldn't remember my passwords for half the things that normally load automatically upon a reboot! So, if I don't answer any email for a few days, you know why! The old man has to dive in and see what happened. Leave it to Microsoft to make a mess!

I should just switch my OS to Linux, and be done with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses

o

It's "Winter Sunset"... the third rose down, that is. It's a selection from Dr. Griffith Buck. And across from "Eden" on the trellis in the new area, I've got "Joseph's Coat" planted, both climbing roses that should nicely fill the new trellis within a few years. This is my second attempt at growing Joseph's Coat, but I'm hopeful it will thrive this time. Along the fence behind the other side of the new trellis is "Henry Kelsey", I do believe, along with another couple of old garden ramblers with small blooms in white shades, and a Trumpet Vine with orange blooms that grows interesting elongated seed pods.

When we first began putting together a winter hardy rose collection, it was with the intention of using them as stock plants in a demo garden that could be propagated to create a small niche business, selling old garden roses, and other rare, unique, or hard to find roses, plus companion perennials, all hardy enough for northern gardens and ease of growing.

It's slow going, but the economy isn't the greatest right now. We can never compete with the larger box stores, and we'll never get rich, but that's not the intent, anyway. Customer satisfaction, quality items, and personalized service are. There's nothing quite like it in our locality, so I think we'll be okay.

Anyway... enough about roses... just wanted to ensure the correct variety name. I'll do my best to accurately name any others if someone wants to know.

Happy Gardening!

o

Oh! There are a lot of things I could learn about roses, and you gave me a good link! I guess it's like the old hammer-nail thing: Give Barb a rose name, and that must be the name of all the roses that color. I really have done nothing to my roses which I think are mostly tea roses, but I don't really know. We had a very warm winter, like it was never below -5 F, and that was only overnight, so they all came through the winter unscathed. They never got very disease-y last summer, and I know which are the problematic ones. I gave about 15 away this last spring, and will give away about twenty more I think next spring. Two are pink and very double, smell very nice, and someone on the rose forum said they looked like David Austin roses. They are very tall, like seven + ft canes and they do look like a rose on your site, but I don't know. I like them and will keep them, but they are crowded together in a small corner with a honeysuckle, so the competition is fierce. They are also right by where my husband walks to his shop, and he will take a lopper to them when he is irritated. He hates prickly things. So I think I will have to see if I can move them next spring. Anyway, I don't have time or inclination to do all the rose care things so they really aren't the plant for me.

About the dog story: I have had a dog that went blind, and they get along fine. Actually, it is really interesting to see how they behave, and to figure out how you can help them. We lived in town at the time, and so my blind dog figured out that if you walk down the sidewalks, you don't run into things much. It's just when you walk on the grass you run into for sale signs, tricycles and such. So she would never get too lost as she just would go around the block if she got out of the yard. Also, that guy can't do all the shows like he did with the dog, but because the dog already listens so closely to what he says, he can really help the dog, because a blind dog really will listen. I could talk my dog through things, like warn her of steps, curbs and things, and she would slow down and feel her way then. He may find there are still things he can do with the dog even show-wise, but different things. But it is sad when they get sick. With my dog it was an auto-immune problem that caused the blindness, and that continued to plague her in other ways beyond the blindness.

Computers are such miracles and time savers, until they eat your life. Good luck getting things straightened out jodik!

o

Good Morning Everyone!
My dogs seem to think that mom doesn't need to sleep in, so here I am! lol..

I got a box turtle yesterday!! Hubby sends me a text saying "you got a little tortoise"! I was so excited and couldn't text back to ask questions (was driving)! LOL! The girl across the street didn't have time for hers anymore, so she gave it to me! I just LOVE them! So this weekend we will spend getting it's mansion set up and figure out some foods it likes. lol..

Jodi, Mike,Laura & aseedisapromise, thanks for the kind words about my table. :-)
I really was worried no one saw it. LOL! You know how computers are! ;-) I love hanging out in the wood shop and watching dad work on things. Gosh, I helped build the wood shop! LOL!
At the moment the table is in the plant/craft room and is my desk for my laptop. The other is in the living room.

Jodik! I remember you telling us about your "little black dress" I even commented to mom about it when buying mine. lol.. she knows how we are, and I told her to add 1 more thing to our "the same" list. I love the cowl neck style! And this has a grey design on the bottom. would love grey suede boot, but can't find one I like. Got animal print clothes this season to for the volunteering I do at the unemployment office. Not used to these kind of clothes and feel funny all dressed up! but have no choice really. Life is now high maintenance and I hate it . lol..

OH what a face on Rosie!! so precious!!! It says "here I am, aint I a cutie!"

Mike, I'm sorry you had such a crummy day! And have so much to do! I don't know how you keep up with it all and work. I know all too much about dealing with morons too! lol.. Wish I was closer to you too, to give you a hand. We have a few less mice, but the cat doesn't get the credit. lol..

"""By the way, have I already told you how much I and I am sure many others are to have you back in our arms! My Mom loves quite a few of you here, and believe me when I tell you that it was not the same with you missing in action Jojo. """
Mike thank you so much! It means a lot to me to be back here. I couldn't have gotten through any of this without you guys! I know I didn't keep in touch much, but just knowing I had you went a long way!!! Talking to you and mom helped so much! Well.. when I wasn't crying. lol...

Jodi~ If we lived closer we'd get in too much trouble no matter what we did!!! ROFL!! I can just see us in a jail cell saying "damn that was fun" and our guys trying to figure out what to do with us. LOL!!!!

Well...
I need to run now. It's chilly, but not bad out so I am going to get outside and do some work. A lot to do before the weather turns cold.

Take care all! I'll be back later with a few pictures. :-)

JoJo

o

Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 11:53

Hi, guys! I don't get around here as much as I used to. Everyone is so good at answering all the questions that I feel confident all the askers will get good responses, and I'm perfectly happy with you guys getting the credit for helping others out. Still, I suppose I should follow this thread a little more closely. ;-)

I saw JJ's picture late in the evening on the day she posted, but it was late & time for bed, so I figured I'd save comment for the next day. By the time I got back to the thread, there had been a number of responses & I* guess I didn't scroll upthread far enough to see the pic again (I need reminders to remember all the things I should) so I missed commenting on it. Thas my bad!

As glaziers (glass & storefront installers), our work is pretty meticulous - sort of like finished carpentry). The word "thousandths", meaning thousandths of an inch, is a very regular and common part of our every-day vernacular, so it shouldn't be surprising that I appreciate good work. When guys bring their woodworking pieces into the shop, I'm always interested to see how they're made, and particularly how WELL they're made, and I can see that your piece is not only functional, but well-made as well. You should feel blessed to be on the receiving end of your dad's fine craftsmanship!

I enjoyed everyone elses's pictures, too - Jodi, Mike, Josh ..... I hope I didn't miss anyone. It sounds like an add for a dating page, but I love sunsets and walks in the mossy woods. ;-) Basically, I just like things that put me in close touch with nature, and I always enjoy the pics of Jodi's garden and plants. I know all the regulars have seen the bird pics before, but for the newbies:

o

Al, I never get tired of seeing the pictures you post, in fact I love it when I see them again, especially of the birds and the frogs..lol
You and Josh and I are a lot alike when it comes to simple things such as a walk in the woods to see moss and sunsets, thunderstorms, nature in general. I am in my happiest place when walking about the woods and the earthy smell that permeates the air, especially right at dusk.
It's good to see you and my Mom says to send you a hug! She loves the bird too.

Jojo, now what name shall w call your 'turtle'?! I saw the text you sent me but I lost my charger to respond to you right away and so I thought I would tell you here of how excited I am for you! One of my good friends actually owns 6 of them and keeps them in a pen! He rescued them all from the Humane Society. They are so awesome and now I want one:-)
Yes, and I mean that about you being back. Please stay here and stay active. Thank goodness we have you at the Cactus forum, and now we just need you at the houseplant one too.

Aseedisapromise..I love that story about the dog. Thanks:-)

Jodik! You are rich in sprit, freinds, family, and lovely flowers! You deserve the best! Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures with us that always pick me up! Oh, I can smell the roses from here.
You do have some of the best pictures around next to Jojo. Oh, how I LOVE the bug pics too..
Where is the picture of the Praying Mantis?
Could YOU and JOJO please post your Praying Mantis ones? I would love to see them again:-)

Laura, how are you!? Well I may not of found the pot of gold just yet, but still looking and when I do, I will share:-)
How's the pool these days and your Plumies? Is the weather mild thus far?
I miss you.

Jodik, looking back up thread, I LOVE LOVE the light colored peach rose. The fifth one up from the bottom. Does it smell good? Wow!

Rosie is a Dog!!! Doll, actually...lol I just love that dog. I also like Charlie. How's he been? That cute goat..lol

Mice, mice, mice, is right! I am finding dead ones now. Jodik, you are a lifesaver for us here Thank you!

Josh, NEVER in my life have I ever seen moss on trees like that! You are so lucky to see that and walk through it. I only wish...:-(
Thank you for taking me there in photo. Oh, how it looks so earthy and must smell so good! Hope you are well I owe you!

Wes, hope you are doing ok tonight:-)

Good night to all my great friends here.

Mike

o

Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 22:23

Here's one:

Al

o

Beautiful Al!
Love seeing your bird again too! You know how partial I am to them. ;-)

Mike, not sure what all I still have but will look through photos tonight. :-)

JoJo

o

Thank you, Al! Great praying mantis photo, and it seems to be posing, too... like it knows you're photographing it! :-)

Like Mike, I never get tired of seeing those little birds eating out of your hand, Al... those are special pictures!

It would take me forever and a day to dig through my files and come up with my praying mantis pictures, but I'll give it a try, Mike... give me a day or two. We're still dealing with Microsoft update glitches! Larry is so busy that he actually turned my machine over to someone else to locate the problems and get it cleaned up! :-)

From what I'm hearing, this is supposed to be a terrible year for rodents of most kinds. Conditions conspired to allow a very large population to breed, and they're beginning to look for winter warmth.

The moment farmers begin harvesting fields, or weather gets too wet or too cold, mice and field rats, moles and voles and other tiny critters begin heading for the safety of human abodes, out-buildings, yards and gardens... anywhere safe and warm where a food supply and bedding materials exist.

Cats will have a hard time keeping up with the job this year, so it's time to employ backup tactics... either traps, or use some decent poison. Rodent poisons are not all created equally... there are better ones, which only licensed exterminators have access to... and then there's Hawk brand, available at most farm oriented stores. To date, it's the only rodent poison sold retail that we've found to actually work. And there's no carry-over, so if your pets were to eat a mouse that had ingested the poison, the pet would not be harmed.

The key is to take care and not allow your pets or children to locate and get their hands on the poison, itself. I normally get the envelopes of pellets, but the last time we went to get some, all they had left were those blocks. Not my favorite, but the brand was right, and we knew they would work.

Aseedisapromise, you can certainly successfully move roses... or, you can trim them back severely so they stay out of your husband's way for quite a while before requiring another pruning.

I may be wrong, but I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say that if you live in zone 4, what you have are probably NOT Tea Roses, for the most part. Tea Roses are generally not bred for cold hardiness, and require more care and fussing than many other types. Also, very few David Austins and English type roses can survive zone 4 gardens... but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of registered and unregistered varieties, and many bloom shapes do mimic Tea or English roses in look and shape, if not in size.

I would guess you have a lovely collection of old garden roses, depending on how long they've been cultivated in the same spot. Many Shrub, Floribunda, Species, Polyantha, Ramblers and Climbers, Rugosa, Damask, and tons of Old Garden and Cemetery Roses, plus a number of other types can all bloom and be kept pruned and shaped much like Tea Roses, but are hardier to your particular zone.

I'm not saying you DON'T or CAN'T have Tea Roses... there are several varieties that can withstand the frigid winters of the north with proper care. There are just so many varieties out there, that without tags it's almost impossible to properly name them all with total accuracy.

In my time dealing with roses, I've learned a thing or two... and believe me, the rose world is very adamant about sticking with their various schools of thought... and one of the things I've learned is that by avoiding grafted roses, and planting own-root instead, you can gain a gardening zone or two in hardiness; there's no sensitive graft to protect.

Another thing I've learned is that there is no "right" way to prune. As long as the plant, itself, is well-established and growing fine, you can shape a climber to keep it short, keep ramblers from rambling everywhere, keep errant growers looking more like shrubs, etc... some folks swear fall pruning is the way to go, while others maintain spring is the only time to prune.

I prune when I feel a rose needs a little shaping, and in early spring... just when the leaf buds are beginning to form, I remove all the dead wood and do shaping at that time.

We have so many roses that I can't keep up with deadheading, and a lot of our plants are allowed to fend for themselves.

The only things I do religiously are keep a decent layer of mulch in the rose beds, and use a bit of systemic insecticide/fungicide/miticide in very early spring to help some less tough varieties fight off early spring aphid infestations. Before adding more mulch, I usually try to add a little composted manure to feed them.

Once we pass from very early spring into spring, itself, the Praying Mantis cases are hatching their little babies, and by mid summer they're big enough to take care of any insect issues... aside from Japanese Beetles, which can strip many plant types bare.

I try to be as organic in the gardens as I possibly can, with the singular exception of helping with an over populations of aphids or spidermites... otherwise, I leave things to Mother Nature because I simply don't have the time, or the physical capabilities, to fuss with so many plants.

I've left another link at the bottom of this post. It's an indispensable source for helping to locate rose information. Also, if you Google roses for your area, you'll most likely come up with a lot of great information to pore over.

I just love roses... and since getting more involved in the cultivation of them, I can easily see why roses are one of America's favorite landscape flower! :-)

Mike, if I can, I'll try to get new shots of Charlie. He's an adult now, and being used as a stud within the herd. You can easily tell which young goats are his offspring... his coloration is very genetically dominant! He also has the attributes that make him a great stud... he loves the ladies, and is up for the chase! :-)

JoJo, we'd have to begin a fund for bail money if we lived close to one another! I can see the local headlines now... "The Jodi's Are At It Again!"... and the stories would make the police blotter every weekend, to the utter embarrassment of our families! The canisters on our kitchen counters would read: Flour, Sugar, Coffee, Tea, Salt, Bail, etc... ;-)

Congrats on your new Turtle! Where will you keep it? Do you have tanks or a pond?

Would you believe I only own two dresses, and one or two fancy outfits with dress pants? I'm low maintenance, and think of myself as a "cheap date"! ;-) If the old man spends any money on me, I'd prefer it were a book or a live plant! I value my comfort, and go more for jeans or yoga pants, pull over shirts or sweaters, hippie style clothing, and either sandals or cowboy boots. I refuse to "dress my age", and I hate wearing makeup and fussing with my hair.

If I can, I'll also try to photograph Rosie a little better... she's quite the character. We call her our "little Gremlin" or "the Grinch". She's your typical Olde Bulldogge... very people oriented, with a streak of mischief and a fire in the pit of her belly! I pity the fool who tries to mess with me! She may only top 30 pounds or so, but as a member of the bulldog clan, she doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit", and has the biggest heart in the canine kingdom!

Laura, I found a great spot in a southern window to over winter the Plumeria, and it seems happy. In spring, I'll give it fresh medium and let it summer outdoors.

I, too, am enjoying all shared photos... and like the rest of you, I prefer being close to nature... whether it's just puttering around the gardens, camping with my kids and grandkids at our old property, or just watching the birds and other critters around here.

Hiking in Josh's mossy woods sounds so wonderful, but I know I'd never be able to keep up with you guys and gals! I can barely make a morning jog around the inner dog yard with Rosie! And taking care of everything I do here is getting more difficult as time passes.

Still, I can't complain. I'm surrounded by that which I love... and there are too few people in this world that can say with honesty they love their jobs. I just have to remind myself to go slow, and take it easy, accomplishing one task at a time... and to ask for help when a job is too much. Getting older sucks, but having your body betray you before you're ready to throw in the towel is the truly difficult part. For those who don't know, I have Lupus, and I was a victim in an auto accident several years ago that left me with permanent injuries. But stuff happens, and we keep pushing forward. Life is too short to sit in a puddle of self pity... and there's so much I don't want to miss, and so much I still want to do and learn! :-)

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone... I promised myself I'd finish up my indoor growing area today, so I have to get started on that...

You all have a great day! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find (Roses, Peonies, Clematis)

o

Good Morning, Friends! Al, Jodi, JoJo, Laura, Mike, Wes, and anyone else I missed ;-)

Well, my apologies for falling behind! The week finished out rather busy,
and then yesterday was the annual Mountain Mandarin Festival....alas, I couldn't take pictures
due to the intense rainfall. My friends and I were all soaked after a couple hours of strolling around
and sampling all the Owari Satsumas that were grown this year. We finally settled on the very best fruit
and then bought our bags of mandarin (before heading to the cars). Then it was out to Georgetown to man
another fire-pit. A wet, drippy affair.

JoJo, the woodworking your dad did is remarkable. Very clean inlay for sure, and those three-quarter
"legs" or spindles mounted to the corners are great. I'm impressed. I've only done limited woodworking,
making knife handles, et cetera, but I love the smell of various woods and just being in a workshop.

Jodi, the trails are a little treacherous here, especially when the leaf-drift is thick and the
underlying soil loose from rain and run-off. But I know a few trails that would be more accomodating....
of course, the best places to go are those where few people dare :-)

I know I've posted this pic in the past....I went there the other day, but the lighting wasn't
right and so I couldn't get a better pic.

o

Good Morning, Friends! Al, Jodi, JoJo, Laura, Mike, Wes, and anyone else I missed ;-)

Well, my apologies for falling behind! The week finished out rather busy,
and then yesterday was the annual Mountain Mandarin Festival....alas, I couldn't take pictures
due to the intense rainfall. My friends and I were all soaked after a couple hours of strolling around
and sampling all the Owari Satsumas that were grown this year. We finally settled on the very best fruit
and then bought our bags of mandarin (before heading to the cars). Then it was out to Georgetown to man
another fire-pit. A wet, drippy affair.

JoJo, the woodworking your dad did is remarkable. Very clean inlay for sure, and those three-quarter
"legs" or spindles mounted to the corners are great. I'm impressed. I've only done limited woodworking,
making knife handles, et cetera, but I love the smell of various woods and just being in a workshop.

Jodi, the trails are a little treacherous here, especially when the leaf-drift is thick and the
underlying soil loose from rain and run-off. But I know a few trails that would be more accomodating....
of course, the best places to go are those where few people dare :-)

I know I've posted this pic in the past....I went there the other day, but the lighting wasn't
right and so I couldn't get a better pic.

o

That is awesome moss! I can imagine the conditions that must be consistently present to allow growth like that! Wow! So cool!

o

Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 21:15

It looks like something you might see in New Zealand, or a temperate rain forest! Cool pic.

Al

o

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed!
It's the northern slope of a wooded ridge, and the entire area stays quite cool.
There is water above to the left, and there is water below to the right. The oaks do well,
but the conifers struggle in the shade. I will see if I have any video that looks decent.

Josh

o

Good Morning! I spent a little time getting more photos uploaded to my album of this past season. Most were taken in later summer or autumn, and most are of roses or the various beds... I document the growth of our gardens every year, starting at the time of the very first Crocus, and ending when frost finally gets the better of everything.

Thank goodness for digital cameras... I probably take thousands of photos each season! Not all are clear or good enough to make the grade, but many go into the albums every year.

I thought I'd share a few more... enjoy!

A deep, saturated yellow/gold rose... you can see a Japanese beetle enjoying a meal, the bane of my existence, garden-wise!
Photobucket

Lavender and Autumn Joy grow in front of "Sally Holmes" at this corner of a long rose bed...
Photobucket

"Climbing White Iceberg", a favorite in the west garden.
Photobucket

This has to be one of my favorites... look at that color!
Photobucket

This is what greets me every day on my walk to the garage to exit to the kennel or the yard and gardens... "Red Cascade".
Photobucket

Part of the west bed, with a single red "Knock Out" and a gorgeous orange "Buck" type rose. This is a mixed perennial bed with Clematis, tons of spring bulbs, Mums, Phlox, Gaillardia, and much more...
Photobucket

Not sure of the name, but a lovely white bud, nonetheless.
Photobucket

A pink Rose of Sharon coming into its own...
Photobucket

A very deep red, touched slightly by a chilly night...
Photobucket

A gorgeous pink shaped more like a Tea rose...
Photobucket

And finally, a lovely pink...
Photobucket

From spring until late fall, there is always something blooming, and the scents wafting through the yard on the breeze are incredible! It's taken me almost 7 years, but I've built a yard filled with various beds of every kind of tree, shrub, bulb, perennial, and rose you could imagine! There are pathways, arches, rock and wood borders, shade and sunny areas, and almost every space that I could drag a source of water to is filled! It's hard work to maintain, and I do the best I can... the one thing I can say is, I've loved every minute of it! :-)

o

Josh the moss is overwhelming surprising to my eyes in each of your pics as we have nothing even close to the pics to match the views of moss here.

Jodi the stone crop and lavender corner garden with Sally Holmes very eye pleasing too nice

Mike Hope you are good too. Any day that I pass up a Devils horn tree isn't always a bad day but I just dont know why I dont just get one of them. Got a free wiring lesson and talk for bonsai. Wont say who cause you had to be there to see who blushed after over pruning during the wiring.

Anyways We have a holiday coming up this week Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving all.

o

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to you guys and say "thank you" to some of the wonderful kind emails that i have received since i responded to Tecnico's thread. I realize some people don't post on here and just read, but i never imagined that i would get these kind of emails from you all that don't even post. You are so nice to send me these on the side and i just want you all to know that i truly appreciate your thoughts and encouragement about the loss of my little Pepper. You don't know how much it means to me. Mahalo!!

Tecnico.. Thank you for the wonderful links to the beautiful island. That did make me smile and it brightened my day. You are so kind!! : ) Your email was so kind and supportive. Means alot..

Al.. Thank you for the comforting comments about these wonderful companions that we love. I miss my little guy, but i know i made the right decision.. It is hard to see them leave us after we have loved them for so long.

I am still bummed, but i know he is not suffering any longer. Thank you for the post and it does make me feel better. Thank you so much!!

Jodi.. I love all of your new pics of your roses. That made me feel like i was right there taking a tour of your yard. Only if i could smell them.. So beautiful!!

Mike, Jodi, Jojo, Josh, Wes, Al and all of the others that i have missed... have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy your families and loved ones. I will be truly thankful this year for all of my blessings.

Take care,

Laura

Photobucket

o

Thanks, mrlike2u... I forgot to mention that there is also a little Plume Grass and a type of flowering mint growing in the corner, as well... and Tulips, Daffodils, and Allium earlier in the season.

Laura, how could I miss a post regarding your loss? I feel so terrible... especially since I have experienced so much of the same over the years... my heartfelt condolences. I gather it was a decision made? As difficult as it is, our beloved pets so deserve painless peace and tranquility after their many years of faithful service and unconditional love. Still, nothing makes it easier, I know. I send silent support, and wish I could send a hug through a forum...

My mind often forgets as soon as I read through the many posts... and it takes me forever to post, because I have to keep going back to reread, read again, and correct spelling. That's not an excuse, though. I'm so very sorry.

We'll be staying here for Thanksgiving, but traveling to see the kids for Christmas. I do hope everyone has a nice Holiday...

Laura, imagine standing outside, eyes closed, trying to pinpoint the area a particularly strong rose scent is emanating from... and following that scent to find out who just opened new blooms... that's what it's like some days. And the difference in scents... some citrus-y, some heavy, some light with a hint of clove or lemon... the slight differences are amazing and wonderful...

I'm a bit tired and under the weather today, but I'll try my best to keep adding photos to my albums for everyone to enjoy.

Good wishes to you all for wonderful Holidays...

A special wish for serenity to you, Laura.

And a special thank you to you and Mom, Mike.

o

Hi Jodi,

This happened last week and was unexpected.. that is why it was so difficult. He was a happy little guy that just pranced while walking and just the other day at the vet he called him the "Jack Lalaan" of Minature Dachshunds for his age of 13 years ;-)

My Little Dachshund had a terrible accident a few days ago when he was coming up the stairs. He missed a step and hit his little head wrong and instantly began to curl his feet. The Vet said he hurt his neck and to wait and see if he will come around. Well, he was paralyzed and couldn't do much to help himself, so i had to make the decision to let him go and not suffer anymore.. My DH wanted to wait for a few days to see it he would come around.. But i knew it wasn't going to happen. This went on for four days. A hard decision because i didnt want him to leave me, but a decision made from the love that i have for him and the true love he always gave back. A true Gentleman for 13 years and he left in my arms a relaxed loved little loyal companion.
This is why i have been away.. I'm still bummed and im missing my little garden buddy.. I know he is happy now resting painfree. It just leaves us with a empty hole in our hearts and it will take time for my heart to heal. Thanks to the many friend that have given me so much support and truly understanding the grief from losing a best friend. i couldnt have been lifted like this without you guys. Many Thanks to all of you who have reached out to me. It is hard when me and my hubby have different views on this and i had to wait a few extra days to make him see the need to let him leave with some diginity left. Pepper knew that he was aware of everything and still loved us nd showed his love with kisses and he even wanted to try and do what he wanted, but he couldnt walk , stand, eat or do anything for himself. I spent the last night holding him in my arms so he wouldn't be alone. That made me feel needed and im sure he loved the love as well...

He left me in my arms all ccomfortable and i am happy for that. Hapoy to be there as he left this world. We brought him home and i buried him in between the two large palmtrees in my back yard. He loved to sun outside and find the warmest place on the deck. He is happy now and another friend mentioned that he will be on the "Rainbow bridge" smelling the falling Plumeria blooms and waiting patiently me to join him some day.

Thank you for the true kindness that you have shown to me in my time of sorrow.. I realize that you have had some health issues and i only hope you find a way to deal with your pain. You have such a great attitude that is so strong and gives us all strenght from you ability to deal with the good and the tought times. You are an inspiration to me and i can only hope that i can be as strong as you. Thank you again for always being such a joy to be around.

Enjoy your family at Christmas and i hope you continue to enjoy your gardens and the reward that it gives to you. You are one that has more than most of us.. A great attitude and the love for life...

You are a very strong woman and i admire you for your strenght!

My grandson will be coming to visit today so i am thankful for many things.. Life is full of surprises and this is a test for us all...

You are a doll..

Take care,

Laura

Photobucket

o

I only have a minute.. I will be back tonight..

Laura.. I am so sorry to hear of your loss!! I know how much you loved that little guy, and more importantly so did he!

I too have had to make such a choice in the past and know in time you will find peace. I wish I could say more or do something to help ease your pain right now.. but am at a loss for words. :-(

Love ya sweetie!!! And extra big hugs for you!! <3

I will be back tonight.
JoJo

o

I understand completely, Laura... I would have made the exact same, selfless decision. They depend on us so much, even more so in moments like these, and we have to put aside our own feelings and walk a mile in their paws. I know you did the right thing, as hard as it was.

13 is a long, long life for a mini... and I know every single year was wonderful for him, Laura, as you're a very nurturing, caring, generous person. Hold the good memories close, know you did the right thing, and when you feel sad pull out a memory of something he did that made you happy or made you laugh.

I know that's not a cure for heartbreak, but it helped to ease the worst moments for me, after I lost Minnie. That was over 6 years ago, and it still hurts a little bit at times. Some animals are special and touch us in ways we couldn't imagine possible.

I just keep thinking that Minnie is happy now, there's no pain, no cancer, and I'll always have the best memories... and those are what fill that hole in my heart. I only hope you can find a similar way to ease your pain.

I just feel so bad that I somehow missed that important piece of news, because it's important to you... sending positive, healing thoughts your way...

Photobucket

o

Laura, I'm very sorry to hear about your pup. 13 years of good memories and such an unexpected ending - My heart goes out to you and your family during this sad time. I too recently lost a pet, my cat, papi - she was sick for six months and getting progressively worse. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor and it was difficult to make the decision that I had to say goodbye, that she wouldn't recover.

I know we'll always have our good memories. Our pets, our families - we don't get over them, ever. But we do keep living and we can always open our hearts to others. I am lucky that I have other cats who are keeping me entertained with their antics; I find it fascinating to see how the dynamics between them changes when one is absent.

I hope that you will be well; and that there is a place for good souls for rebirth. I'd like to know that our pets will have another chance for long lives, good health, lots of love, care, a warm cozy place with companionship, food, and toys (lots of toys).

-Rose

o

Jodi, Jojo, Rose...

Thank you for the wonderful kind words of support.

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and i can't tell you what it means to me.

Please have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!!

Love your family, friends and your special little family members. They make the family whole..

You all are THE BEST!!

Thank you!!

Laura

o

TRUCKERS BREAKFAST ~

A trucker came into a Truck Stop Cafe' and placed his order. He said I want three flat tires, a pair of headlights and a pair of running boards.' The brand new blonde waitress, not wanting to appear stupid, went to the kitchen and said to the cook, 'This guy out there just ordered three flat tires, a pair of headlights and a pair of running boards..... What does he think this place is an auto parts store?'

'No,' the cook said. 'Three flat tires mean three pancakes; a pair of headlights is two eggs sunny side up; and a pair of running boards... Are 2 slices of crisp bacon!

'Oh... OK!' said the blonde. She thought about it for a moment and then spooned up a bowl of beans and gave it to the customer.

The trucker asked, 'What are the beans for, Blondie?'

I LOVE THIS ONE..

'She replied, 'I thought while you were waiting for the flat tires, headlights and running boards, you might as well gas up!

FOR ONCE, THE BLONDE GETS EVEN !!!
;-)

o

LOL! That was cute, Laura! The blond never usually wins! I like it! :-)

o

I enjoyed it too! LOL!

Well it's looking like we may need a new thread soon. lol.. I thought they maxed out at 125? looks like not. ;-)

Wow! So much has been posted since I've been able to post, I hope I don't miss anyone's comments!!

Jodi~ I Laughed and laughed when I read about the bail $$! I can just see all the jars now! I guess we should start one just in case! LOL! I love it! Someday I do hope to get to spend time with you!

I volunteer 3 days a week at the unemployment office, not by choice. Long story! and no , it's not community service, least not till me and Jodi tear up a town. lol..
some days I come home depressed! I hear some sad desperate stories, and some days I make people laugh and feel better, so I feel good.

Job hunting myself, I can really feel for them and relate! I think my favorite was a gentleman that was feeling old. Only in his 50's but down none the less... I told him to think young and go do something silly. lol.. and when I told him my age, and that I still/always will enjoy stomping in a mud puddle, he laughed till he had tears! made his day, and mine, and he promised to give it a try :-)

I come home tired from being on the phone all day. Today I dialed 300 phone #'s!

My youngest dog is not taking me being gone so much very well, . Were having trouble with him sulking and belly aches while i'm gone. :-(
As soon as I'm home, he's fine! but acts sick all day if i'm not here. Makes it hard on me when I leave.

Al, Josh,~ Thank you for the kind words of my new end table! Daddy takes his wood work serious and it has to be perfect or he's not happy! He just redid their whole trailer on the inside!
I too love the smell of fresh cut wood and saw dust! Creaky old saddles, and rain too. ;-) You guys know me, the simple things in life and being close to nature bring me such joy!
I still hike the river every chance I get! Not as green as Josh's world, but beautiful in its own way! I still spend hours in my garden looking for and enjoying all the little critters!

My 'family' grew a little on Friday. I was given a Box Turtle! LOL! Mike, her name is currently Clara, but I don't like that and will think up a new one. :-) I Love turtles, so I was so excited to hear I was getting her.

Laura~ I see you posting in Bonsai! I am wanting to start one soon! (that was a hint to the guys here I will be yelling for help ;-)lol ) Al, Josh, Mike, Mrlike2u, are you guys ready to help out? lol..

Jodi~ Love the roses as always!

Well.. it's almost mid night and I still have a mess to clean in kitchen from last min. preps. Were going to moms tomorrow.
so I will go for now.

I am thankful now and every day for the wonderful friends here that I just couldn't be without! Who have helped me to find the strength I need to get through the rough times, and there for the good times too!
And for our special "Mom' (Sissy) who doesn't post here much but I know is with us every day! Love you 'mom'!

A very Special Happy Thanksgiving!
Be safe everyone!
Hugs!
JoJo

o

Threads max out at 150, normally... just a bit of GW trivia. ;-)

We decided to stay home for Thanksgiving and save to go north for Christmas, instead. We can only afford one trip this holiday season, and we'd rather it were Christmas. We'll get to see all the grandkids, feast with my daughter-in-law's family like we always do, and generally have a great few days with family and friends!

I'm actually kind of glad we didn't make the trip... I haven't been feeling well, or sleeping well... and the old man isn't up to snuff, either... either we picked up a bug, or it's just a change of season thing. Who knows...

Today, I'm doing nothing but resting, watching tv, watching my plants grow, and I might take a nap later on.

We send our best to everyone and their families, on this, the day to be thankful for everything... whether good or bad, it's all brought us to this point in our lives, and I wouldn't trade my life, my family and friends, for anything! You all mean so much to me! :-)

Enjoy your day... and accept the positive thoughts we're sending out to everyone! Happy Thanksgrowing! ;-)

o

Ok, from Mom!

A guy goes to C.V.S to but a box of condoms.....

He asked the blonde behind the counter.."How much are these?"

The blonde says.."14.95"

The guy says.."Is that with tax?"

The blonde says.."No, they stay on by themselves"..lol

Hope you are all having a safe day. Much love from Mom and I.

o

ROFL!!
Funny and Scary at the same time! LOL!!!!!!!!!! I'm almost afraid to ask where mom gets them! lol!!!

Thanks Mom!!! <3 (symbol for heart :-) )

Jodi,
I'm sorry to hear your a little under the weather! I hope you are both feeling better soon and have a wonderful day!
Were going to moms, but she is here in town. Mike wasn't up to the 2 hr drive to Safford. Me either to be honest.
almost 80 here today and I'm antsy to get back to the yard work that needs to be finished before cold sets in.
Tomorrow morning in the garden for me. :-)

I hope everyone has a good day!
Happy Thanksgiving!
JoJo

o

ROFL! Mom, that was a great one! :-) Thanks for sharing it, Mike!

Okay...

Guy goes into a store and asks the clerk for condoms. The clerk says they're out of everything except the multi-pack containing various colors. The guy says, "I'll take 'em."

Months go by... guy goes back to the store and asks the same clerk if they carry maternity bras. Clerk asks, "What bust?" And the guy says... (wait for it)... "the blue one."

;-)

o

hello fellow members, Al, Laura, Mike, Josh , Jodik and others : ) ; Jodik thanks for you answer on the recent post : ).

well friends gonna start a new experiment : )

and need to know which of these 2 products is the best TURFACE substitute :

MOLTAN MULTIPURPOSE SAFETY ABSORBENT

http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/874705

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Moltan-8-lbs-multi-purpose-safety-absorbent/_/N-260l?itemIdentifier=874705&_requestid=4204969

ULTRASORB

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Moltan-15-lbs-UltraSorb-water-oil-and-grease-absorbent/_/N-260l?itemIdentifier=36015_0_0_

http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/36015

please check those links so you can see in detail the products and can tell me which is best : )

Here is a link that might be useful: MOLTAN MULTIPURPOSE SAFETY ABSORBENT

o

this is the other link so you can see it also

Here is a link that might be useful: the ULTRASORB description

o

one is montmorolomolite clay , ( or something like that : P ) and it calcinied

the other is the DE that have heard about here but it doesnt say calcinied : ( , so if any around here has used either of them or seen them which is better ?

o

ROFL!! Oh I about lost my coffee on that one Jodi! TOOOO EARLY! LOL!!

Al~~~
Question... :-)
I am wanting to make Hyper tufa Rocks. I was wondering if this time of year would work , if they would cure? I know you had made some troughs, was wondering what time of year you made them.
Below is a link to what gave me the idea and my question no one has answered since it is dead over there. lol...

I hope everyone had a nice day yesterday.

It's going to be warm today and I am taking advantage of it and doing yard work today.
No way on earth am I driving anywhere today!!! Dont deal well with traffic! LOL~

JJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypertufa Rocks

o

Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 13:04

I hope EVERYONE had a very nice Thanksgiving. I wanted to get here yesterday, but was soo busy with the cooking .... and then our company forgot they had homes and staid until near 11:00, so I crashed as soon as they left. We had a rally good meal & a good time. I'm not used to all that noise though. I guess it's a sign of getting older. ;-)

Technico - the physical characteristics of the products you asked about that make them suitable/unsuitable as a substitute for Turface are their size and structural stability. They need to be primarily in that 3/32-3/16 size range (preferably closer to 1/8"), and they need to retain their structure after you freeze them in water. You don't want something too large/small, or something that turns to mud after you incorporate it into a soil.

JJ - You should name your turtle Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hearns ...... after one of the famous boxers. ;-)

Take care everyone. I hope that if you're out shopping, you're taking advantage of some great deals, and if you're not, you're having a relaxing day. I think I'm still full, and I didn't even have breakfast. Only in America would they legislate a day when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty. ;-)

Al

o

Hi Al!
You sound like my dad at times.. He couldn't wait for all of us to go home last night! LOL! Left around nine. ;-)

Well.. One problem with the names you picked. It's a girl! LOL!

And what about the hyper tufa? ;-)

JJ

o

Hello Al , ok , but have read the recomended one is the calcinated DE , so makes no diferences if its calcianted or not ????

and that means that calcinated montmorolomolite clay is also good as turface substitute ?

upon the characteristics you say they should have, well dont know cause ive never used them : ( , so that is why im asking if someone has used them or tested them ? these products are available in Autozone , so would like any inputs , thoughts about them if any have used / seen them, thanks : )

o

Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 14:25

Hypertufa projects will cure at any temps above about 30*, but they cure faster when it's warmer. Try to keep them out of the sun and moist while they are curing, so cover your project with plastic or aluminum foil, or enclose them in a plastic bag, the object of all is to keep the moisture level high while the project cures to handling stage. I've made projects at all times of the year - even winter in the garage, as long as it's above freezing ....

Call your turtle Laila - for Laila Ali - a woman boxer and Muhammad Ali's daughter. Or call her Ronda Rousey. It was just a joke, anyway. ;-) Hava good day!!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here