Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what container size (gallon wise) do bell peppers need?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 23:29

i have one in what is labeled a 5 gallon but it is smaller then my other 5 gallon buckets i would say it's 4 gallons.

anyways how much space do they need to reach maturity with a good sized fruit? i have seen people say things like 2 gallons and even seen them growing in a 2 litter bottle. never seen fruits but it grew what looked like the entire plant.

what is a good size to grow them in. i am planning on using 5 gallons but just wondering for future reference and more space as well

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what container size (gallon wise) do bell peppers need?

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 23:58

I would use 5's too.

o

A lot of people seem to say 5 gallons for peppers. If you are only planting one per pot, I'll agree. If you are wanting to plant more...I'd recommend the matrix found on Love Apple Farms website. They have a very good chart (link below) for many common veggies. I started using their chart this past year for tomatoes and other veggies and the results speak for themselves. 9 foot plus tomatoes at "first fruit set" using Al Tapla's 5-1-1 mix, olla irrigation, and containers sized as per their chart. The difference in quality, disease resistance and productivity is remarkable. Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Love Apple Farms Container Size

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 13:38

I like 4-5 gallons for peppers. It's not unusual for me to get 18-24 bell peppers per plant per growth cycle. I'm thinking that's good, but have no idea how other's yields compare.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here