Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil Plant Dying :(

Posted by galaxi (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 1:14

There are no insects that I can see but, soon after I bought the plant, there was mould on the soil. Maybe it was too wet and hasn't been able to recover?

The leaves start out like this and then quickly shrivel.

Another shot.

The soil shows mould which I try to scrape off when it forms.

This is what I'm left with after a few days. :(

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil Plant Dying :(

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 9:29

Basil loves a fast draining soil and a light hand on the watering can. Think 'damp to almost dry' instead of 'wet or soggy'.

Are they outdoors in full sun, or near a sunny window? Adding your USDA zone or a large city near you to your user info would be helpful. ;o)

Al

o

It looks like you may also be over fertilizing. Al

o

I'd be willing to bet a million dollars that they were brought home to grow inside. Canadian dollars. galaxi is from Canada. ;-)

Basil is a full sun plant. It's pretty challenging to duplicate its preferred environment inside. Not impossible, but challenging....as you can see.

o

Thanks guys!

Rhizo_1 is correct, I bought the basil to grow inside in Canada (near Toronto). I guess that was a mistake! Eek!

Dry soil? Lighter fetilizer? I guess I know where I won't be buying plants again, eh? I'm going to try putting the pot outside but I fear it may be too late. Most of the plants in the pot have already died and the rest are looking pretty sad. :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here