Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

CFLs as grow lights

saoodhashim
10 years ago

I bought six 20W daylight CFL and am keeping it each one over one 4" pot - having 3 seedlings. The CFLs are like 1-2" above the seedlings. Using a light meter I measured the approx. foot candles being hit around the top of the seedling and it seemed to be around 2500-3000 fc. and I could sense that they generate some heat around near to the bulbs. The temperatures reading near the bulbs are 5-7F higher than the normal room temperatures. I was reading on one of the FAQs on GW that seedling require 750 fc and also it is advised not to expose them to direct sunlight (or even windows getting direct sunlight). Now I was thinking if I should maintain this distance or increase it so that the foot-candles reading is more closer to 750 fc? Is the 3000 fc reading too intense for the seedlings?

Would highly appreciate your inputs.

Comments (9)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I don't have right answer to your question, just my experience: last winter I used CFL's, positioned approx. 2-3" above the plants. I think some plants are more sensitive than others. See photo for burns...

I didn't expect the heat from CFL to be so strong. Now, I would try bigger distance & slowly move them closer if necessary.
    Rina

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How big was your CFL in terms of wattage? or lumens?
    Are these damages really caused by the light?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Sorry, I could not remember the wattage/lumens & I am not home to check, but I will (I think it was 60W). I remember looking for highest lumens when shopping for light bulbs. And damage was definitely caused by heat from the bulb, I moved the pot closer (it was at least 6" away or more before), and within 1/2 hour this is what happened.
    The plant recovered, but it took long time.

Edited for remark:Photo below shows the same plant year later-recovered.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 10:56

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I also think you are getting too much light, I never thought I would be saying that, but I think if you moved your light away till you were getting about 1000 fc that would be enough. Al

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rina and Al for your inputs.

Could this high intensity light be the reason that my pepper and cherry tomato seedlings are too slow to grow? They are growing too slow (if at all). In the past week or so, I haven't seen any noticeable change? No true leaves at all although the cherry tomatoes and one pepper seedling opened up their seed leaves since last 2 weeks. I can also see some burned edges (brown colored) of the seed leaves.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Saood

Here is the photo of CFL I used - 23W, 1650 lumens.

Rina

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG! it was 23W and it caused that damage in half an hour! Mine are a close 20W. Practically the same. I have taken the CFLs further away. The reading now is around 1200-1300 fc by keeping it 9-10 inches above the seedlings.

Thanks Rina.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Saood

I would just watch the seedling for etoliation, and if necessary, move them slowly closer to the light bulb - just like moving plants from inside to outside for the summer, they need to get used to stronger light. I am using same light bulbs again (this is for my 'winter'-inside home for the sensitive plants), plants are approx. 4-5" away - no burning this time.

You asked if there may be too much light on your tomato and pepper seedlings - I don't know for sure, but think that these plants like lots of sunlight and longer days and warmth. When I start from seeds, I keep trays really close to lights (2-3") otherwise they get really etoliated. Look at the photo of some of my tomato seedlings (spring 2013), I think they are little etoliated - this try was just by the south window and no supplemental lighting.
    I wonder if there is anything else slowing growth of your seedlings.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 10:35

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I was late with starting seeds this year, but they still grew very well (same plants 2 mo later, potted up 2nd time). I also planted 20 asparagus seeds, and 17 of them are growing well (see little ferny plants in the photo attached).

Do you have photo of your seedlings? Pls. post.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 8:43