Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the definition, your interpretation of 'overwatering'?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 5:52

A responder to one of my post got me thinking and I thought I would throw this question out there.

What is the definition/meaning of 'overwatering'?

I think this phrase is often taken in the context to mean that a person waters their pots too frequently. What is your interpretation of it?

Is it always a persons action of providing too much water too often, or can it mean something else?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the definition, your interpretation of 'overwatering'

In my opinion to over water a properly built container it would require the drainage holes to be plugged up. Al

o

Watering once every three weeks is not overwatering,yet the plant dies because of poor drainage in the soil.

My mothers interpretation:0)

By the way Al, your thought is exactly in harmony with mine.

Mike

o

meyermike_1micha, my opinion is that overwatering is a soil moisture content that does not allow enough oxygen at the root zone of the plant.
In practice it occurs when water is applied in too much quantity or too frequently. Quantity and frequency are determined by the composition of the growing medium. A clay medium will have less internal drainage than a sandy medium. A plant grown in clay will show the symptoms of over watering quicker than the same species grown in sand, assuming the same regimen of watering.
Plants which tolerate water (anaerobic condition) at the root zone have specialized structures to obtain air.
Swamp rice comes to mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here