Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tolledot

Dividing Dracaena

tolledot
17 years ago

Hello all

I've just registered and would like to ask my first question. I have not found a reply in past posts.

I found a thrown-out Dracaena Deremensis in terrible shape and took it home to see if it could be saved. It was in an 8" pot and had grown to about 7' high. There was just a compacted mass of dry roots and hardly any visible soil!

Anyway, I took off all the dry dead leaves and cleaned it up, then only watered it for some time and it started to look healthy again.

Last week, I took it out of the container, cut off as much of the dead roots as I could with care and repotted it in a larger pot in a mixture of compost and perlite. It's doing ok so far.

So here are my questions - There are 3 branches, about 18", 50" and 84" tall, all coming out from below soil level and I would like to divide the plants and repot. How do I do that without killing any of the branches?

Also, is it possible to induce these plants to grow a new shoot from somewhere half-way up the stem? How?

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Comments (8)

• tolledot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a good idea, thanks.
    Will the cut tops root so I can end up with 3 more plants? If so, what would be the best way of rooting them?

• TACHE
    17 years ago

I don't ever devide it. I do what Eldo says and then I root the cut off canes. Sometimes I stick them in a jar of water and sometimes I just stick them in a pot of soil and sometimes in the same pot as the ones I cut. They root very readily and you can end up with a lot more dracena plants than you want, which is a pretty nice complaint.

• eldo1960
    17 years ago

I agree with tache, except I would root them directly in a potting mix and skip the water. Take the cut-off canes and cut them off at the bottom until they are about a foot long. Plant them about 5 or 6 inches deep in a loose potting mix and keep the mix moist until you see new growth, which means they have rooted. You can then cut back on the water.

• tolledot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Eldo & Tache

Not having done this before makes me a bit hesitant to just cut off tops and leave a bare stem...Do I just make a straight cut and leave it like that? How long before they usually start new growth?

Is there any special care needed or just the normal common-sense stuff like keeping soil moist etc?

Apologies for what must be very basic questions for experienced persons but I am a relative newcomer to plants and my only experience is germinating seeds.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Another method of cane propagation (and the way it is often done commercially) is to take segments of your stem (cane) and insert them into your good potting medium LENGTHWISE, burying them about 2/3 of the way. Roots will emerge from the nodes and new shoots will develop at the 'eyes' on the nodes. Stem sections should include at least 2 nodes.

The attached illustation shows such a cutting, buried entirely underneath the soil (which you don't need to do).

The best time of year to do this is in the active growing season, when the days of the year are longer than the nights. Not only will you have a shrubbier 'mother plant', but several young plants to give away or grow yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:51216}}

• eldo1960
    17 years ago

No pain, no gain. Just cut them short, because the new growth will begin near the top of the canes, and you don't want bare canes at the bottom.
    The angle of the cut is not critical.
    Don't keep it wet. Remember, there will be no leaves, so there won't be much moisture loss from transpiration.
    Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith.
    In Texas, we cut denuded nandinas clear to the ground in last winter/early spring. In a couple of months, beautiful, full "new" plants emerge from the root system.

• tolledot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all

Great idea Rhizo