Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guype_gw

A shade tree in a container

guype
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm a new member on Garden Web and came across wonderful posts such as Al's "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention", I am thinking of growing a shade tree in a container and understand that the first thing I should do is pick the correct soil for that,

I have a few question that I hope to get your answers

I am thinking about albizia julibrissin, do you think that this is too big? other options? what is the size I can expect that tree to be if I have a container which is about 23 inch (a box shape container where each side 23')

What is your �recipe� for that kind of soil?

I understand that drainage layer is not needed, but is there a need for covering the bottom of the container with a piece of nylon hosiery, weed cloth or other synthetic fabric to prevent soil from running out?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello and welcome!

You've struck gold with Al's posts on container soils and water movement.
    The Threads on Trees in Containers, too.

I just looked up the Albizia - which is what we call "Mimosa," though I know
    the name isn't botanically correct. Yes, it can be a large tree, but I'm sure you
    can control it if you take the proper steps.

If the tree is small to start, I would grow it in the 5-1-1 mix, and then move it into
    the Gritty Mix once it gains some size and permanancy. However, root-pruning will be
    necessary to maintain the tree's vitality in the container.

I use plastic bonsai screens for the drainage holes in my containers.
    Many other materials will work.

Josh

• guype
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Josh and thanks for you answer

I moved the question to the 'Trees in Containers III' thread where Al answered that and other questions that might be of intrest to you as well thanks again for th help

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks, and you're welcome!

Al is a mentor of mine, indeed, and I've taken my growing to the next level by following
    the principles he's outlined in his excellent Threads.

Josh