Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Watering Containers

saoodhashim
10 years ago

Some of you might know that I have had a very bad experience with over watering and one pepper plant almost died because of it but it has now overcome that terrible phase. This has made made me extra conscious with watering.

At the local garden shop I found a moisture meter - wasn't particularly expensive so I just bought it right away. I have been using it for quite some time now and I think it has been giving me a good guidance on when to water.

Generally the guidance is to stick the finger inside an inch of two of soil and feel the moisture level to determine if watering is required. However, this tool has an 8" probe stick allowing me to check the moisture status deep down. Now some of my plants (tomatoes particularly) have been planted deep in the soil and at times the first two inches is not moist but with this tool I can assess that there is quite a good level of moisture beneath the 3-4 inch level.

What would you suggest? Wait or proceed with watering? The plants seem happy with no sign of any wilt or stress under the heat of the afternoon sun.

Note: The product is also available from Amazon with okay overall reviews (some very bad, some quite good). There is also one good review which explains why the others may have given a bad review about it and I think found that review useful to judge the product's effectiveness. I have provided the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mositure meter

Comments (7)