Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shenue

mushrooms?

shenue
9 years ago

This Summer I ordered a small Windmill Palm. It arrived in good health. I planted it in a pot, incorporating the soil it was planted in from shipping. Shortly thereafter I saw what appeared to be a tiny mushroom (tiny cap, stem about 3" tall) that had sprouted over night. I carefully removed it. It pulled out of the potting medium very easily. By the way, I've never had anything like that in my potted plants over many years of gardening. I'm 63 now, and that's a lot of years. :-) Anyway, maybe about a few weeks later, another mushroom appeared, and I removed it the same way. I assume the spores for these came in the potting medium that the Windmill Palm was shipped in. There may have been one more sprout up over the rest of the Summer, but no more than a total of 3 and all 3 were in that same Palm pot. Oh...and the palm was on my screened in porch all Summer and did great. Last week I brought the palm in for the cold months. A few days ago, I saw one of these little mushrooms spring up in the Ficus pot that sits beside the Palm. I plucked it out...no problem. Then this morning I saw one in my Parlor Palm pot which it about 3 feet away from the Windmill Palm. Again, it removed quite easily. As I said, I've never seen or had these in any of my plantings over many years. My question is, are these something I should be concerned about? Will they cause any harm to the plants or to my family or pets? It's not like there are many of them, but knowing nothing about them, I don't know if the problem could get much worse or simply remain a very minor nuisance. I took a couple pictures of the one that showed up in my Parlor Palm pot this morning. Perhaps someone here has had experience with these little buggers and can address my concerns.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!
Linda

P.S. Haven't figured out if more than one pic can be uploaded per post, so I will upload them in two different posts here below. Thanks again!!

Comments (4)