Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briergardener_gw

Light lamp set for small lemon

briergardener_gw
11 years ago

I have small lemon tree (smaller than 2 feet) growing in my unheated sunroom.

Night temp there currently 47-50.

Question: if i put something around container (plastic container currently is in a wooden box) in box and cover plant with row cover for nights, will plant be OK?

It has a number of tiny green lemons and i want to preserve them.

Or do I need to move plant inside? I then will need to set some kind of lights for it because I have only east window.

Can you give me some recommendations for the lamp that i should buy?

Comments (12)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Your overnight temperatures are fine. The amount of light, and hopefully SUNLIGHT, will be more important for your plants growth. I would not be trying to preserve lemons on a two foot high lemon tree. I would prefer the energy feeding the lemons, to go into growing the tree. Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Al

Do you recommend to pinch off the mini-lemons? I have Meyer lemon just about same size, started to bloom recently & few lemons are forming...I was wondering about that.
    Rina

11 years ago

Any lemons on a tree your size, I would remove. Al

• briergardener_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll pinch all lemons and move tree again to sunroom.
    I am not still sure what temp will be in sunroom in winter, we have this sunroom first year.

What is the lowest temp that lemon tree will tolerate in sunroom?

11 years ago

I do not live in your zone, but can not imagine your sunroom dropping below freezing, or even below 35. For your first year with the new sunroom I would hang a high/low thermometer in your room. This will show your lowest and highest temperatures over any period you choose. Al

• briergardener_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Al,
    I have thermometer in the room. But currently temp in the room almost the same as outdoor, but we can have freezing temp in winter in our zone.

I wanted to know what lowest temp my lemon tree can survive. Is it 35?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Anything above 32 degrees, but I would allow allow 35 to see mine for fear that a freeze might take hold just above 32 degrees anyway.

By the way, it will survive, but it will go into a much more slower growth, if any at all, sort of like suspended animation. The temps have to be above 55 for you to get active growth.

Al has helped you a lot.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

But I WOULD NOT allow 35 degrees or lower to touch my trees. Now I wish there was an edit button..lol

HI Rina

Mike

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Hi Mike...how 'bout some salsa...or lambada...

My lemon is doing pretty good after repotting in early summer (into gritty). It is flowering, and has 5 small lemons (I am going to remove them).Rina

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Rina! Salsa? I love Salsa and can I move to that..lol

Your tree looks just like mine and mine is planted in the griity mix too! I love all the blooms. Mine is just about to open any day. I tell you , your tree looks just like mine. Nice:-)
    My other Meyer Lemon tree had over 20 lemons on it and is the same size also.

Hey, I like the jade. I see it.

Mike

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike,
    You are spying my jade?!
    It's kind of funny looking now, some branches got pruned, some broke off...would love to send it off to a 'pruning salon' for a great styling by one of the masters...
    I really am not sure what to do with it, but winter is comming so probably leave it until next spring.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

and Mike,

for you to say my lemon tree looks just like yours is a compliment!

Thank you. Rina