Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light lamp set for small lemon

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 8:45

I have small lemon tree (smaller than 2 feet) growing in my unheated sunroom.
Night temp there currently 47-50.
Question: if i put something around container (plastic container currently is in a wooden box) in box and cover plant with row cover for nights, will plant be OK?
It has a number of tiny green lemons and i want to preserve them.

Or do I need to move plant inside? I then will need to set some kind of lights for it because I have only east window.

Can you give me some recommendations for the lamp that i should buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light lamp set for small lemon

Your overnight temperatures are fine. The amount of light, and hopefully SUNLIGHT, will be more important for your plants growth. I would not be trying to preserve lemons on a two foot high lemon tree. I would prefer the energy feeding the lemons, to go into growing the tree. Al

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 16:44

Al

Do you recommend to pinch off the mini-lemons? I have Meyer lemon just about same size, started to bloom recently & few lemons are forming...I was wondering about that.
Rina

o

Any lemons on a tree your size, I would remove. Al

o

I'll pinch all lemons and move tree again to sunroom.
I am not still sure what temp will be in sunroom in winter, we have this sunroom first year.

What is the lowest temp that lemon tree will tolerate in sunroom?

o

I do not live in your zone, but can not imagine your sunroom dropping below freezing, or even below 35. For your first year with the new sunroom I would hang a high/low thermometer in your room. This will show your lowest and highest temperatures over any period you choose. Al

o

Thank you, Al,
I have thermometer in the room. But currently temp in the room almost the same as outdoor, but we can have freezing temp in winter in our zone.

I wanted to know what lowest temp my lemon tree can survive. Is it 35?

o

Anything above 32 degrees, but I would allow allow 35 to see mine for fear that a freeze might take hold just above 32 degrees anyway.

By the way, it will survive, but it will go into a much more slower growth, if any at all, sort of like suspended animation. The temps have to be above 55 for you to get active growth.

Al has helped you a lot.

Mike

o
RE: LLight lamp set for small lemon

But I WOULD NOT allow 35 degrees or lower to touch my trees. Now I wish there was an edit button..lol

HI Rina

Mike

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 16:42

Hi Mike...how 'bout some salsa...or lambada...

My lemon is doing pretty good after repotting in early summer (into gritty). It is flowering, and has 5 small lemons (I am going to remove them).Rina

o

Rina! Salsa? I love Salsa and can I move to that..lol

Your tree looks just like mine and mine is planted in the griity mix too! I love all the blooms. Mine is just about to open any day. I tell you , your tree looks just like mine. Nice:-)
My other Meyer Lemon tree had over 20 lemons on it and is the same size also.

Hey, I like the jade. I see it.

Mike

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 19:33

Mike,
You are spying my jade?!
It's kind of funny looking now, some branches got pruned, some broke off...would love to send it off to a 'pruning salon' for a great styling by one of the masters...
I really am not sure what to do with it, but winter is comming so probably leave it until next spring.

Rina

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 19:35

and Mike,

for you to say my lemon tree looks just like yours is a compliment!

Thank you. Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here