Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Containers

Posted by linchat 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 9:37

What is the minimum size container one could use for strawberries? 10"? How many plants to a 36"x8" container?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Containers

Hi
Where are you located?? I've tried SB several time in the past with just a little success. Best was as a winter crop with June bearers. They HATE the Florida heat lol
gary

o

I am in SF, what size pots did you or can you use?

o

Hi
Probably can't be of much help to you as California 10 is sooo much different than Fla.
Have found that it requires about 25/30 plants to get 1 gallon of berries so containers aren't too useful. Have used the mounding method directly in the ground as well as the built up tiered planters. My biggest mistake was using the wrong cultivars as I have no hope of a summer crop due to tthe heat. The everbearers tend to make runners rather than fruit.
Since California is the largest commercial producer in the world I'd check around in your area. How about some of the colleges?? This is where I found my best info for the local area.
This year I'm going with a "straberry jar" that will hold 12 plants ,obviously I'm not going to corner the market lol. But I find the plants ornamental though short lived and get a few at the perfect stage of ripeness..
gary

o

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 22:45

Gary, have you tried the Eversweet everbearing? They are supposed to do well at temps up to 100F. No personal experience to report though.

o

Hi
Due to the climate here SB is limited to a winter crop .The best weather is Nov. through March. The main problem is not so much the heat but the humidity.
Everbearers tend to produce runners rather than fruit even in winter here . So have huge plants little fruit lol.
The commercial growers here use June bearers They gave me several varieties but have been unable to locate just a few plants . Most sell only 200 of one kind lol.
The local nurseries tend to sell everbearers which are better suited to at least cool winters .
Since florida is the second largest producer of SB there muct be a way lol gary

o

• Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 16:25

Considering how easily strawberries mold, the humidity problem makes sense. Maybe you could talk one of your local nurseries into ordering some plants for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here