Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Hello!

tifflj
11 years ago

I am new to GW and made myself at home over in the houseplant forum. Hopped on over here as I am trying to learn all that I can about plants and gardening.

Just repotted all my plants into a 5:1:1 mix. Its only been 3 days so I have no idea how they are doing. They are still alive is about all I can offer! :) I am interested in trying this Foliage Pro I have been reading so much about. Where abouts can I get some?

Tiff

Comments (15)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I got mine from Ebay.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Lots of online sources out there. Try calling around - most hydroponics shops will have a line on Dyna-Gro's products, if you have one or more in your area. At least the local shops will save you the shipping. 9-3-6 is the NPK %s you want. If you order it, you might wish to buy some Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 at the same time, as it probably wouldn't add to the shipping costs and can add quite a bit of versatility to your nutritional supplementation program.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Tiff..... I just wanted to welcome you here. I have gotten to like you thus far and want you to know that there are so many great people here. I would like to see you stick around:-)

I just don't want you to let a minute amount of members here discourage you from being part of an amazing group of people and forums, but to focus on the good. It's ok to be a bit selfish and derive what ever you can from everyone, despite their personalities , because not a one here has ever wanted me to fail, so do not want you to either.

I know you are new, but I have been here long enough to know that the very same people that you may not particularly be fond of, do actually have much goodness in them. If I had let one or two out of hundreds of people here spoil the reason why I come here, it would of been my plants loss, then that of mine.

Believe me when I tell you, I was once in your shoes, and I am still here today spending time with the majority that care.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I just dont understand why someone would even say what they did when they dont even know me. Not only that we are here to talk about plants. WHo honestly says the stuff they did? I mean really? What they said is highly highly insulting. I dont need that.

I like talking to the people that I have met here also, but seriously, that was an uncalled for personal jab and FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. I feel like I am in the twilight zone here because it would never ever cross my mind to say anything like that to anyone I didnt know, ever, and completely out of the blue.. WTH?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff,

I just wanted to chime in here and tell you that i have found my Foliage Pro and ProteKt at my local Hydroponics store. If you don't have one around you, then i would check out Ebay. I bought my first gallon of Foliage Pro from them and it was shipped (no charge). Made me happy!!!

Plants love this fertizling plan and so will you..it is so easy and you know they are receiving all of the good nutrients along with the fertilizer and extras that the plants love...

Please don't be discouraged.., I had to go and see what this was all about and i will say that some people may just want to say things without thinking they are hurting someones feelings, but i can see your are hurt. Im sorry for that.

Like Mike and others have said...everyone says things that may sound different because it is on a written forum and we really dont know how it is implied.. so when that happens to me.. I just take it with a grain of salt and laugh right back at them...

I know its difficult becuase it hit right at the homefront.. I have grown kids and i did do other hobbies too when they were little, so i understand how it can be done. YOU don;t have to explain yourself to anyone...just enjoy what you are doing..

Plants are my way of coming home from a busy day with lots of unhappy people from all over the US. I hear things that you wouldn't believe..so when i come home..i use my quiet time here at the forums..

Believe me.. i have had a few comments...we all have, but you have to let them roll off of your shoulders and keep going forward. LOLOL I had one guy over at the C& S forum say something to me because i was using FP for Foliage Pro and PT for Pro TeKt and then he couldnt find out what DR's were (Desert Roses) which on the cactus forum most would know.. he was new and was upset because i was abb. words.. He didnt call me out on it, but i knew who he was talking about.. I just answered him back in a fun way.. others did as well.. he got the message.. If you are new and don't know..then ask. Simple.

So it has happened to us all.. more than once.. I like this forum as well as the Houseplant forum..

Mike is a great guy and so are the others that have given you some good advice.

Just take it easy and relax. Let it go.. come back and enjoy the things you love..

That is what we all do... Love our plants!!

I hope this helps..

Laura

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

We all learn from each other. As we all live in different climates, even with container growing, our climate makes a difference. Looking at your member page, I see you are a zone 6 gardener. If you would edit your name, by replacing the "none" with your zone, it would help us all to respond to your posts. Welcome to the container forum, surely the source of the best information available on the GardenWeb. Al

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone!

11 years ago

Try your best to take it in stride, Tiffany. Sometimes people have a bad day, and some people have a bad day every day, so I'm not 100% surprised that someone took it upon themselves to find something to start a quarrel over, but I am surprised at where they stuck the knife. Look at the bright side - if they hadn't got after you, they probably would have wrecked someone else's day - so thank you for saving us all from a bad day. ;-) What a gal!

I'm not just being a s/a. If you were here and I was actually TALKING to you, you'd know in an instant that I'm just adding my voice to the list of those wanting to help you get through the turbulence. Hey - it's already a new day and it deserves a new perspective. Have fun.

Al

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al: Thanks so much. Your one of the FEW people who recognized "where they struck the knife". Your also right, today is another day. I am over it. Yesterday though I will admit it bothered me and hurt me all day. Oh well.

Your not being a s/a? What the heck does that mean, s/a?
    I know some people just like to be miserable. Sad.

Today is great. Found Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt on Amazon from the same seller. So I will be pruchasing that soon. Although I do want to see what and why I need Pro Tekt. I dont know what it is so some research and reading is due on that before I buy.

Also, I found my arrowhead with more yellow leaves today. I posted on the HP forum. My problem plant/child. Ggrr. I am not giving up on her. Brat.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Tiff. all I use is the Foliage Pro and vinegar.

I have yet to use the Pro Tek as I have had a bottle sitting on my shelf for about two years now.

It seems that all my plants need is Foliage Pro. It's the best fertilizer I have ever used and all I need for everything I grow, and I grow dozens of special and unique plants from far away places to local purchases.

I am so glad you are using the 5.1.1 mix with the lime. I can hear your plants thanking you although you may not just yet. But, before you you know it, they will all grow like fireworks and then you won't know what to do with them.lol

Have a good night.

Laura, you are a Doll as usual and Mom and I send you much love. Hoping you, your family, and you new little one are all healthy and happy !:-)

Tapla/Al, well said and from the heart.:-)

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. Can someone tell me what I would need Pro Tekt for exactly?

11 years ago

Tiffany. I'm going to really distill my answer so it's easy for you to understand. I know YOU know I'm not talking down to you.

Pro-TeKt has aqueous (water soluble) silicon (Si) and potassium (K). The Si needs to be present in the nutrient stream at all times to be a benefit, so when you use Pro-TeKt, use it regularly. Benefits provided include increased resistance to fungi and insects, better tolerance of low light levels, increased mechanical strength and less reliance upon osmotic pressure for leaf turgidity (longer between waterings - less likely to wilt). When silicon is incorporated in the cell walls, the principal benefits come from the deposition of silicon in an opalene form in the epidermis (skin) of leaves and stems. This mechanical barrier deters many insects as it makes the leaves too tough for insects to feed on, and it makes the plant more resistant to disease penetration as well.

The added potassium can be used in several ways, but I find it primarily useful as a way to reduce applications of 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers in order to reduce N supplied without having to risk a K deficiency. I've been trying to keep an eye on your posts. If I know you have it, I'll let you know under what circumstances I think you might benefit from using it.

Al

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al. Your wonderful Thank you for babysitting me. :) I know you werent and know you know I am still extremely uneducated in several aspects in here.

I will most likely buy it next month as I already used my plant budget for this month and we have some extra expenses coming soon....like maybe a trip to Vegas!!! Hubby has to go for work and I am tagging along. Beneficial when everything is paid for except my plane ticket. So we try to jump on those opportunities as often as we can.

I think I mentioned I found both products on Amazon from the same seller who stocks both products and includes shipping. Foliage Pro is $11.99 for a gallon and Pro Tekt is $16.99 for 1 quart...are these reasonable prices?

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Recheck the FP price, it sounds a bit low for a gallon. My quart was about $23.

• uscgardener
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff, welcome! I'm glad you asked about Pro-TeKt; I was wondering about it myself. And thank you, Al, for answering that question. I don't post very much, but I have been reading many of the threads on GW just doing research and satisfying my curiosity about most things plant-related. I started using Foliage Pro on my containerized trees a few months ago based on everything I'd read here, and they are doing very well. I think you will like using FP, Tiff. Now that I know what Pro-TeKt is used for, I might have to get some of that too! Haha. ;)