Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Fall pot-up versus spring pot-up

maple_grove_gw
10 years ago

I'd like to discuss why you would waiting until spring versus potting up now. I would love to see a review of the considerations for and against each. From what I can recall, most would suggest waiting until the spring since the plant is about to enter its metabolically most active period and will recover fastest. But is there really a big difference?

That's my general question, geared towards getting a better understanding of the relevant factors. Next, the specific questions:

I some plants recently purchased, which are a little root-bound, in an okay mix but still on the peaty side for my taste. They will be moved up either now or later, and I'm thinking that it would be better to do so now to get them out of the peat (and into 511), and out of the cramped pot. On the other hand, they'll be overwintered in my unheated garage, so space considerations would favor waiting until I'm ready to move them out.

There are also some plants that have been in 511 for a couple years which I'd like to pot up. Not so urgent in this case, but I'm thinking of doing them too. The other consideration is time, which I've got a little of now. Last year, I waited until spring to pot up and got so overloaded that a lot of other garden chores were a little neglected.

Hence the question, is it really that much better to wait? What do you think?

Thanks!

Alex

Comments (2)