Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Fig Help

Posted by dbayless Indiana (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 11:30

Help! I recently brought all of my houseplants inside because (believe it or not) we have already had frost in Northern Indiana. My Chicago Hardy Fig has dropped all its leaves since coming inside, yet there are still five small fruits on the branches. It also looks as though there are a few leaf buds on each of the branches.

Is there anything I should be doing to help save this plant? It is with the rest of my container plants on a table in the sunniest location I can provide. (However, with our short winter days, I may get a grow light to help with them.) Any advice is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Fig Help

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 21:02

Put it back outside until temperatures are predicted to be 27 or lower. Then move the tree into an unheated garage to over-winter, with the container directly on the floor. Toss a little snow on the container from time to time - only enough to ensure the soil doesn't dry completely.

Overwintering your tree indoors will find you with a severely weakened tree in spring (if it makes it) that will probably struggle to show you anything like a spring push of growth; whereas a tree allowed to rest quietly in the cold garage will wake in spring with a store of energy, ready for the kind of spring growth Mother Nature had in mind when she made the seasons.

Al

o

Thanks for the suggestion! I will put it back outside. Our garage is detached and will likely be just as cold as it is outside since there is no heat. Is there a problem of it getting too cold?

o

I have 5 of them.

I took Al's sugegstion last fall and my Chicago trees benefitted greatly. I got over 20 fruit on each tree at only 2 years old. The sad part is, is that I didn't like the flavor of these or of any of my other figs for that matter:-(.
The temps in my garage can dip as low as in the 20's.
The only other extra thing I did for them was provide a very porous mix.

I will say that I have friends that tell me that they are hardy to 10 degrees above 0 in containers and they have had success with the method Al speaks of too. Throwing snow on the top, which is a must, keeps the soil hydrated.
They must never dry out completely, or that will kill them before the cold does. The mix needs to be moist at all times but not wet.

Mike:-)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 18:02

Your figs will taste better as your trees get older, Mike. It's not uncommon for the fruit of young trees to be rather boring. Hang in there! ;-)

Al

o

Al, that is encouraging!

I literally almost threw them away and or planted one or two in the ground just as an experiment to see if they would live. If they died so what, and now I am going to keep them safe thanks to you. You just saved their lives.

I really appreciate that pal, along with all your help and support as always.

Mike:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here