Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus dish garden!! Do I drill a drain hole?

Posted by kris2001 6a - s.e.PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 11:36

I am overwintering coleus plants indoors in dish gardens, how important is it that the pots have holes in them? I am using pro-mix soiless seedling mix...

Would love to seal the holes in my new pots , so pls advice!! (If so how do I seal 'em- can I use Pruning sealer?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus dish garden!! Do I drill a drain hole?

A drainage hole is pretty close to mandatory. Without one you need to be uber careful about watering. I don't trust my own skills enough to not have a drainage hole.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 16:27

I have a grand total of one planting w/o a drain hole. It's a very shallow penjing arrangement. That it's shallow allows me to easily determine how wet/dry the soil is at the bottom of the 1-1'2" deep tray, which knowledge I consider mandatory. I also use only distilled water, water from the dehumidifiers, or snowmelt to irrigate with to eliminate salt build-up, which is a death sentence in containers w/o holes. Finally, I use fish emulsion fertilizers to help guard against the accumulation of unused fertilizer salts. The planting is in its 5th or 6th year and doing well, but you can see by my outline that you cannot treat a planting w/o a drain hole like traditional container plantings and expect it to be problem free.

Al

o

Thanks guys!

Also , I see a very tiny fly like insect in my coleus, only on the ones in soil medium in my dish garden. I also have few rooting in water nearby they dont have insects.

What are they? They are black , with common fly like looks, Flies slowly and walks/runs fast underside the leaves and on soil.

I sprayed houseplant insecticidal soap spray...made of seaweed extract, but of no use!

What is it? Is it harmful to kids? How to treat it before they multiply?!!!

o

You may have fungus gnats and if so they are best treated with BT. BT is readily available as a remedy for mosquito larva and is available as Dunks or a granular form which I think is easier to use for your purpose. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here