Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Question

Posted by susan2010 6 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 11:47

When should I bring my fig into shelter (unheated back hallway) for the winter? It's my first winter with it, and I just realized that I have no idea how long it can safely be left outside. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Question

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 16:40

Ideally, you'll be able to provide it a spot where it can over-winter at temps between about 30-42*. I'd be concerned about some roots dying as temps drop below freezing, and loss of the organism as soil temps approach 15*.

Al

o

If it were not for Al, I wouldn't have over 10 fig trees that I can now over winter with no issues.

I do store then as he says, but I also wait until a light frost kills the foliage. Then I bring them into a cold unheated shed and wrap teh pots up with insulation just in case it gets just cold enough to freeze the pot.

I actually have another friend that just puts them in his attic where temps stay in the 50's, and also has great success with his. They rest until the sun gets stronger in Feb. He takes his in after the leaves fall off either by the cold and short lack of sun, or after the first frost when the leaves really fall fall off.

Mike

o

Thanks! I think my back hall will work. If it turns out to be a very bad winter, I can bring it to the basement. It's not heated either, but being more than 6 feet under ground, it never gets too cold - but never warm. I did want to know *when* to bring it in. Good to know about the frost. That's really what I was asking.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 15:51

Bring in after leaves fall & before it gets cold enough that soil temps could drop down to below about 28*. 25* is still safe if the plant is directly ON the ground. You'll have problems if you try storing the plant at temps above 42-44*.

Best luck

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here