Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Cucumber transplanting

saoodhashim
10 years ago

I planted three seeds in a 4" pot and the cucumbers seedling have grown about 3"-4" in height and I am thinking of transplanting it into individual pots. Should I transplant them with the stem inside the soil or at the same height as they are now?

Comments (6)

• beeman_gardener
    10 years ago

Cucumbers do not like their roots disturbing.
    You would be better off clipping two seedlings and starting more seeds in the place you want them to grow.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

If you intend to grow your cucumbers only in containers, use a big enough pot that you will not need to transplant it. At least a 5 gallon size. Plant 3 seeds and after germination cut 2 of them off at ground level. If you are going to grow in the ground start the seeds there. Al

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. I knew that they do not work well at transplanting. However, I wanted to give it a try, especially after getting some views that at the very beginning stage they may allow transplanting when the roots are not so developed. Anyways.

The real question now is what happened to the most strongest seedling even as it started to give the first true leaf, it just went from very bright green to a droopy dull green in a matter of 8 hours after I switched off those florescent lights. You can compare the picture above with the one with this post.

What did I do?
    What can I do now to reverse this?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

The light is providing the photosynthesis to to feed the plant the carbohydrates it needs to grow, without it some wilt is appropriate. It should adjust to the new light level in a couple of days. Al

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It is not too difficult to separate seedlings like that far apart, without disturbing the roots and transplanting. Once I separate 5 seedlings that were jammed into a small cell and planted them separated, without a casualty. It is requires some experience in handling the seedlings. I have transplanted 5 years old maple trees. What I am saying is that it can be done but it is not as easy as transplanting onion seedling. If they can transplant a human hear, you can transplant a plant.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, seysonn. It requires a lot of experience and that is where I am lacking. I had started 3 of those in one pot. For some reason they all died before transplanting in the same pot. Then I started another 6 and 2 such pots. After transplanting, 5 have already died. I am hoping the 6th one will survive. I see signs of true leaf emerging from this last one.