Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kea2_gw

bell peppers in a container?

kea2
16 years ago

Is it possible to grow bell peppers in a container? I'm a newbie. I planted some seeds from a supermarket yellow bell pepper in a little container of perlite and potting soil just to see what would happen. Amazingly, they germinated. Now what do I do?

Unfortunately, I don't have a yard, though I do have a patio. Can I grow them in a big container?

Comments (6)

• biermaster
    16 years ago

you can grow about 4 bells in a 15 gal tub. see the string on fax earth box. I have tried more but seem to end up with 5 each time. See al's container mix string on what to put in your box. I have one set of bell's that are going on three years. I have cut them back each ball and built a plastic green house to keep them growing thru the winter here. I transplant them each spring when they start to form new leaves into fresh container mix. I use a lot of the blue stuff at least every other week at half strength and have had good luck so far. I also grow two plants in a 5 gal bucket with a wire cage around them to keep them up right. It has worked for several years.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

I'm growing bell peppers in large pots and they're thriving. All are full of peppers. Because of the severe drought here in TN they did better in pots than in the garden. I just moved them into my greenhouse for the winter.

• kea2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll see if any of them make it past the seedling stage, first. I never have much luck with that. I have them on a South-ish facing window sill right now, where they receive morning sunlight. I have read that bell peppers are easy to over-water. What would be the best method of watering the seedlings?

• georgeiii
    16 years ago

{{gwi:51842}}
    {{gwi:51843}}
    {{gwi:51844}}
    These Bell pepper where bought at the local market. The plants for the first year are small about two and a halfÂfeet tall. The fruits about ½ to 3/4 the size of the parent fruits. ThatÂs because they were grown hydroponically. ThatÂs just because of the change over from water to media. The second "flush" of fruits were more numerous and larger. These will be taken in an over wintered.

• kea2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, that's really impressive. I'm just hoping at least one of my seedlings survives. So far, I've got half a dozen or so germinated seedlings, but none of them are growing. They've been sitting there a week or more and none has put out a second set of leaves.

They're on a windowsill that mostly gets indirect light. I haven't got a very good choice of windows, unfortunately. If I wanted them to get direct sun, I'd have to take them outside and I don't know if I should do that yet. I think I also planted them too close together. I didn't know what I was doing, I just threw a bunch of bell pepper seeds into a tiny little pot of 50/50 perlite and potting soil. I was going to transplant them when they got bigger, but they aren't! Any ideas?

• georgeiii
    16 years ago

First seedlings are nothing to worry over. It's already a given that your going to kill a few, everybody does. But and this is the important part you can go to the market to get more. Better yet each pepper has hundreds of seeds all looking to grow. They want to grow! But they only have a short time before the energy they were given as seeds is worn out. So time now to decide how many plants you want to have. And then how many. If you want to grow 10, get rid of the rest. But knowing you want only 10 why not 10 different ones. Why not 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 orange, 2 green and 2 sweet. Just something to think about. As for your lighting you can keep them outside till it dips below 40. Then build a light cabinet. They easy and you can build them youself.