Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with new plants (for Winter)

Posted by JoppaRich 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 14:09

I just got some plants in an order from FloridaHill. Anyone who has ordered from them knows their plants are a bit on the small side (but really cheap, so its ok).

Anyways, I got in a bunch of tropical/semitropical stuff, and some temperate stuff. The more tropical stuff (bananas, papaya) is going to come in for the winter with my Citrus.

I'm more curious about the figs,Mulberry, and muscadine grapes that I got. Normally, I'd figure they'd be fine outside for the winter (7b), but these are tiny plants that just came from warm florida, and its almost November, so I don't know if they have time to properly go dormant.

I have some unheated shed space (shed is attached to house, and has furnace/AC unit inside, but no light). Do I leave them out there for the winter, or should I just bring them in with the tropicals? I know a lot of temperate fruit needs some cold time to fruit, but I'm not worried about fruit right now.

Do they need cold to survive, or will they be fine inside for this winter (and outside next winter)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with new plants (for Winter)

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 12:08

The fig, mulberry, and muscadine grapes need a cold rest. All would be hardy if in the ground, but a couple are borderline hardy in a container. I think the added few degrees the shed affords is a good idea, so I'd leave them outdoors in full sun until they lose their leaves, then put them in the shed ....... but be vigilant! Don't let them go dry & make sure the mice/voles aren't making a snack of their bark.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here