Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing my potted June bearing strawberries

Posted by sallyj461 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 14:10

This is my first year growing strawberries and the plants have done well. I'm eager for next season when I'll have fruit but I want to be sure they make it through the winter! :)

I've read several articles, posts and so forth and everyone has different techniques so I'm looking for further direct suggestion. I live in central CT and have enjoyed 60-70 degree days all Sept and Oct (weird) and now we are expecting a frost (finally) tonight so obviously I'm stressing a little, having no idea what to expect my plants to survive in. :)

Some say mulch, some say cut them down, others say garage still others say leave them out...what's a girl to believe? Haha. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to ease my mind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing my potted June bearing strawberries

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 15:09

Burying the container against/near the north wall of a heated building and mulching with straw is a good strategy, but you may get some weed seeds arriving in the straw & it could attract rodents. Don't use leaves if there's danger of them getting wet & compacting.

If you're growing them in a container that's so large you don't want to bury it, or in a strawberry pot, the garage is a good alternative and helps guard against dessication.

Frost won't hurt the plant & you can move them back outdoors as soon as there isn't much danger of actual container soil temperatures dropping much below 27* or so.

Good luck.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here