Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with small red bell pepper plant

Posted by lonelylib81 southwest florida (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 14:30

Hello,
I am new to this forum. Sorry, but am not able to post a picture at this time. Anyway, I have started a container garden on my back patio. I am having trouble with just one plant in one of my half whiskey barrels (holds 5 cubic feet of wet soil mix). In this barrel, I have two new tomato plants (bought from store two weeks ago) and one red bell pepper plant (bought it and planted it one week ago). The leaves on the red bell pepper plant have started to wilt and droop while keeping a perfectly green color. I see no remarkable spots on them. The tomato plants seem to be growing an inch a day. I have noticed, however, a white-to-yellow colored ring on one of the leaves of the tomato plant. I am watering these plants plenty. (~2 gallons/day, or until water starts seeping from the bottom)
If anybody could give some pointers I would really appreciate it.
Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with small red bell pepper plant

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 0:36

I'm going to guess that you are overwatering the plants. Generally speaking, bagged potting soil doesn't drain well and you are giving those plants quite a bit of water.

On another note, I think it's a little late to be planting tomatoes and peppers even in sw fla.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 0:38

I'm going to guess that you are overwatering the plants. Generally speaking, bagged potting soil doesn't drain well and you are giving those plants quite a bit of water.

On another note, I think it's a little late to be planting tomatoes and peppers even in sw fla.

o

Oh I am using a potting mix, not a soil, and it has plenty of vermiculite. The home depot garden guru said these can be planted all year round in florida.
Another thing, when I took the plant from its original container it was in good shape. When planted it in the mix, this is when it happened. Do you think it's possible that there was too much fertilizer in the mix?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here