Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbird02

300 gal Stock Tank - convert to SWC

cbird02
11 years ago

I have purchased a galvanized stock tank that I would like to convert to a SWC. I am trying to come up with a design along with soil content. I am in Tucson, AZ in zone 8a.

The best design I have found so far is this link:

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/horse-trough-gardening.pdf

She is using oval troughs, I have 5' Round trough. She uses 4" drain pipe to support thick rigid plastic grid to hold up the soil. I would think you would then put some felt weed barrier on top of that to prevent soil from falling through, but she did not say that. Seems pretty simple and effective. She showed pretty impressive growth in one month.

SOIL: I have been told by local organic gardeners to use a 50/50 mix of compost and local soil. I am wondering if with a SWC, there is an issue of compacting with this type of mix. She recommended 1/3 #2 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost/soil (screened if

necessary). She supplements with mild manure tea or liquid seaweed fertilizer by pouring it down the filler pipe during the growing season.

Any concerns with this design or improvements?

Can I grow year around in my zone or would I have to drain the water at certain overnight temperatures. (we average 17 days under 32deg)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler