Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

good news! about axis de and napa 8822

Pyewacket
9 years ago

So a few months ago I got serious about finding a Turface replacement. At the time I noticed that there were 2 MDS documents online for the NAPA 8822, from different mining facilities. I figured Napa had either switched suppliers or they were using both facilities for different parts of the country. I did not bother to look into it any further.

Yesterday I bought a bag of Napa 8822. When I posted about that another list member, Drew, drew my attention (no pun intended) to a Turface replacement I had previously read about and rejected because it was even harder to find than is Turface. That is called Axis, a calcined DE soil amendment similar in use to Turface.

I decided to look into finding some Axis again and discovered that I now live within a few miles of EP Mineral offices and the mines themselves.

Surely, thunk I, I can get a bag of this Wonder Material. So I called, got a "local source", disappointingly found out they will only sell it by the pallet, and just for kicks and grins - I mean they are RIGHT HERE, surely I can get ONE bag of the stuff ... I called EP Minerals again and talked to the Sales and Manufacturing person this time instead of the Customer Service person.

Long story short: NAPA 8822 is now EXACTLY THE SAME STUFF as the Axis.

Long story long:

About a year and a half ago, EP Minerals apparently actually bought out Molan (or at least some divisions of it).

All NAPA 8822 now comes out of EP Minerals facilities.

EP Minerals tightened the tolerances/specs/manufacturing process and they are using a different type of DE which is mined in Nevada - this has changed the stability of the NAPA 8822 - which in the past has been good for some people but not so good for others.

Because the Axis is a soil amendment it HAS to be more stable to be useful as such. Whereas previously the NAPA 8822 was only intended for use as a liquid absorption medium, there were sometimes problems with stability.

The NAPA 8822 that is now being manufactured and distributed by EP Minerals however is the exact same stuff as the "regular" grade Axis so its stability should (will, according to the company rep) be as stable as Turface and similar products.

So that's the good news.

Sadly, however, the "coarse" grade of Axis (particles mostly in the 1/4" range though nominally they could be up to I think she said an inch) is only available in 1000 lb bulk lots. I don't think they even bag it at all. I did have hopes for a larger particle size, but not by the half ton, LOL!

So for those of you who have previously had mushy NAPA 8822, try another bag. Check the back and make sure it says EP Minerals on it - there may still be some of the older Molan product floating around in warehouses. Do your water tests again - it should pass now. Given that NAPA 8822 is the same stuff as "regular" grade Axis any stability issues should be rectified now.

I am so happy ...

Comments (6)

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Sounds like that explains the NAPA 8822 that I had turn to mush and why some other people found the same problem.

Even the same material can be processed differently, though. I had been buying some nice Pumice but paying $9 for 1/2 Cubic Foot. OF Wolfinbarger sells a similar material for $4.75 for 1 Cubic Foot. Roughly 1/4 the price. The problem is that it has about 10-15% dust with it. If I put it in a large screened container and wash the dust away, they are about the same.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I get my pumice from a local feed store as Dry Stall. This is natural pumice but it has been crushed rather than graded - so it is REALLY dusty. It leaves a little white river of pumice dust when I screen and wash it out.

When you had the NAPA 8822 before, do you remember what the particle size was? Because the stuff I grabbed out of the top of the bag just seems so small to me - almost but not quite up to 1/8" and mostly much smaller than that.

Maybe there are bigger pieces down at the bottom of the bag, I don't know yet.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I screened it over a 1/8" screen and almost 1/2 fell through. Don't forget that screen has 8 wires per inch so the holes are more like 1/12". None was over 1/4". There would have been a lot of waste so I wasn't that disappointed when it turned to mush and wasn't suitable for use at all.

After that, I was thrilled to see the consistency of Turface. MVP has a fairly small amount 1/16" & smaller. Pro League has virtually none but the large particles are missing also.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't got a single piece in that handful out of the top that's over an eighth of an inch! I'd be happy if it got up to 1/4"!

Maybe there will be some larger stuff lower down in the bag. But maybe the new producer has not only tightened up the manufacturing process and the heat treatment for better stability, maybe the particle size has changed since it is now the same stuff as their "regular" Axis DE.

Hopefully tomorrow I can dig down into the bag and see what I've got. Whatever I've got, that's just what I'll have to deal with, I guess. Its supposed to be more stable now - but maybe it's also smaller, rats! LOL!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the post, I just checked my bag and it is from EP minerals. I'm not that concerned about the size. I use it with peat, pine, and perlite. it works well in that situation. As a mineral mix additive I guess it's too small. I call the gritty mix a mineral mix as that is what we called it in the 1970's. Not like it's a new idea, been around since last century. I first tried mineral mixes in the 70's when I grew mostly cacti. I stopped using mostly because it was easier to use organic materials already mixed. I was busy raising a family and working my butt off. Now retired I have more time.
    Just a note silicon is a micronutrient, and DE has ton's of it. Also found that added to seed starter mixes, it makes a better seed starter mix.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Hello All. I've been away for a while and just hit the site for a quick minute. It sounds like there is both confusion and good news regarding the NAPA 8822 and Axis DE products.

I used the NAPA 8822 product a while back but I have not tried the Axis DE product. The DE that I currently use is OptiSorb and I believe it's a Moltan company product, but I'll check the bag tomorrow. The average particle size of the OptiSorb is larger than the NAPA 8822 DE (see photo for a sample of screened OptiSorb).

I ran both the NAPA and the OptiSorb DE through a 1/8" screen and a lot more of the NAPA product passed through the screen. Exactly how much more I can't recall. It might not matter anyway since the product size can vary from bag to bag.

From my experience I believe OptiSorb has a larger particle size than the NAPA product. True, the OptiSorb does cost a couple dollars more per bag than the NAPA DE, but you also retain more DE product after screening with the OptiSorb. I think I paid something like $9.00 for a bag of OptiSorb a few months ago. After 7 months in a container the OptiSorb DE showed no signs of breaking down. We'll see how it does over the coming winter.

I'll try and post more information as time permits.

Thanks, and keep us posted.

TYG