Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracking saucers

Posted by leeelson 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:50

We have a small lemon tree indoors in a large clay container. Underneath the container is a plastic saucer. Due to the weight of the container (~75 lbs) the plastic saucer has cracked. The replacement saucer also cracked so I'm looking for a clay (terracotta, ceramic, whatever) version that has more structural strength. There's no risk of freeze cracking of course.

None of the local nurseries or big box stores seem to carry this and I can't find it online. Anyone know of a source? I'm in Nevada.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracking saucers

Can't you put your lemon tree outside in the sun from say March through November? Keeping citrus indoors spring through fall is cruel and unusual punishment. :) If you could put it outside, you could maybe find a place on bare dirt or gravel so the draining water can just leave the pot and soak in...no saucer needed.

Big clay/ceramic saucers are terribly unwieldy and easily crackable. Wait until your first attempt to plop your 75lb pot down on that saucer...you may end up cracking both the pot and saucer. They also erode/leak over time believe it or not.

I live in Vegas and get my saucers from Star Nursery. I get those tough composite ones that feel like really strong plastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here