Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chloramine removal

Posted by sf_rhino 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:58

I have a couple of plants that I am concerned are suffering from chlorosis. The past month or two I've been setting my tap water out overnight to dissipate the chlorine, however I just found out my local water uses chloramine instead of chlorine and that it doesn't dissipate readily.

I have read that activated charcoal filters and reverse osmosis/deionized water can solve the problem but I'm looking for a lazier solution.

My local PUC says the chloramine level is 0.5-3.3 ppm which I think is on the high side. They also say, "If desired, chloramine and ammonia can be completely removed from the water by
boiling; however, it will take 20 minutes of gentle boil to do that." Any opinions on this? I don't mind boiling the water and then leaving out overnight if that is going to be effective.

My other option (easiest for me) is using deionized water from work (I work in a lab.) We have DI water and MilliQ water (ultrapure, type 1) systems. I figure the MilliQ is probably too hypotonic for living things (<0.1uS/cm), but I'm not sure how well the DI water will cut out the chloramine. I should probably see if I can figure out what system we have and the specs but I'm fairly sure it is just DI and not RO/DI (don't know if the osmosis is required to de chloraminate).

I know I should just buy a good filter but I am really lazy. I'm also guessing distilled water from the store would be too hypotonic as well...

Thoughts? Thanks!
ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chloramine removal

I think a lot of people use distilled water, which isn't that different from pure rain water in theory, without any issues. The big issue there is hassle and cost.

When I used to keep aquariums, I would use dechlor products to condition the water. Go to a fish or pet store and browse around. At the link is the product I used to use. I'm guessing it's safe for plants too, but not 100% sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dechlor Product

o

Yeah, my big concern with using a dechlorination additive would be that one of my plants seems to be very salt sensitive so increasing solutes may do more harm than good.

My least healthy plant is a Melicoccus bijugatus (I call it a mamon). It seems to lose leaves at about the rate that it grows new ones. The leaves come out looking perfectly normal then over the course of a month or so will develop these small crusty looking spots that do not wipe off. The leaf will begin to yellow (light spots are starting to develop in the photo) them dry up and drop off. Here is photo with the crusty spots and the beginning of the discoloration... Thoughts anyone? So far using evaporated water may be helping, but it is too soon to tell (and I'm sure there is still a reasonable amount of chloramine left).

This post was edited by sf_rhino on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 0:08

o

Is it possible that you are overwatering this plant? Your photo reminds me of some I've seen in the Tomato Forum of edema in tomato leaves caused by overwatering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Physiological disorders of tropical foliage plants

o

I posted this photo in the Pests & Diseases forum as well and I am also now starting to lean toward edema.

I am not entirely sure how to fix the issue, as I have to keep the soil fairly wet in order to keep the plant from dropping leaves. I guess I'll try methods of increasing the transpiration rate. Maybe give it a good root prune and try another medium.
The plant currently gets no fertilizer. I would like trying to give it something, although when I've given it even the smallest amount of FP it drops its leaves. Perhaps an organic fert or a foliar application of some sort would be good here? Any suggestions? I am hesitant to give any liquid ferts right now b/c it would likely just increase the water uptake and compound the edema (if that is the issue).
Thanks!
r

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion in Pests & Diseases forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here