Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves at bottom of contaier?

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 5B (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 16:03

I read somewhere online that filling the bottom half of the containers with leaves and the top half filled with potting mix can be a great way to say on soil fo your outdoor garden.

What are some disadvantages to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves at bottom of contaier?

The leaves will decompose pretty darned quickly in those conditions. Then you'll be left with what could be sludgy mess in the bottom of your container..and your plants sitting several inches lower than you intended.

You need to use something that won't disappear. Some people use empty plastic bottles or cans. I've used those webbed onion and potato bags, filled with styrofoam peanuts. I really like how that works!

o

Wouldn't it be better to just use a smaller container?

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 2:05

What's the goal, to increase the amount of potting medium you have by adding leaves or decreasing the volume of potting soil in a container by filling up the bottom? If it's the first, why not just mix it all together? If it's the latter, why not just use a brick?

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 2:06

What's the goal, to increase the amount of potting medium you have by adding leaves or decreasing the volume of potting soil in a container by filling up the bottom? If it's the first, why not just mix it all together? If it's the latter, why not just use a brick?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here