Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Centipede-like bugs?

Posted by blueplate (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 16:27

Hello all!

I'm new to gardening, and started a container garden in Spring of 2009. Last Spring, 2010, when I went in and prepped the containers for planting again, I noticed that several of them (big, half wine barrels) had small centipede-looking bugs in them, that seemed to be living under the dirt.

Are these harmful bugs? I also found a few spiders (daddy long-leg kind) the first year, but left them in there because I thought they might eat the bad bugs.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Centipede-like bugs?

I don't think they will harm your plants although, some feel they might nibble on roots. They are attracted to moist, damp conditions. You could cover your pots over winter to keep them dry.

You might want put fresh potting mix for next spring.

Jane

o

We have them around here too. They don't seem to do any harm to my plants. Least none that I can tell.

I've even found them in containers at the Home Depot, when I tip a plant out to look at roots before buying.

I see it as more trouble than it's worth to keep them out, and hope they do no harm. :)

JoJo

o

I did a quick google, and here's a little info on them if your still interested.

It sounds like they won't hurt your plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centipedes

o

Thanks so much for the feedback! I like the idea of covering the containers in the winter--I didn't do that last year, but I'll do it this year. :)

o

You might want to identify them as common house centipedes and not millipedes, which have an entirely different appetite than the centipedes. The reason I mention this is that centipedes are less likely to be found in the containers than the millepedes.

So, can you describe these critters?

o

I have these in all my plants. They are very small (maybe one inch long the most), with lots of legs and sometimes more of a seed shape about a half inch long. They are colorless, albino, and I find them under saucers and in the soil. They scatter at the sign of light. What are they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here