Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash1970_gw

Suggestions/Cautions re: diff top-dressings for container plants?

ash1970_gw
9 years ago

The number of plants around here keeps increasing, and I've now been asked to consider aesthetics. This is not something I ever thought about - always focused on keeping the plant alive.

So - besides the choice of container - what are safe, appropriate, healthful top-dressings for container plants? (I think that's the right expression for decorative "stuff" layered on top of the potting mix.)

I'd guess that inert (no suspect leachate) and mostly hydrophobic (top irrigation flows through easily) might be good factors to consider.

I've most often seen pebbles or stones (especially with âªSansevieriaâ¬). Are there specific "rock" types to seek or avoid? I'd guess most do retain some moisture, and so might provide a growth substrate for something in the air.

Also thought that glass such as smooth marbles (have seen in an aquarium) would be a possibility, but perhaps heavy (though that might a plus for supporting weaker stems). Or perhaps similarly sized spheres of lighter plastic.

Totally a new idea to me. Appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

This post was edited by ash1970 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 17:38

Comments (6)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I myself tried various rocks, and the problem was that I needed to check moisture, so poking and prodding led to dirt coming up onto the rocks eventually. To me it was not a good look. Also if you were in a hurry and watered a little bit too aggressively the dirt spilled onto the rocks. I now just use pine straw. It looks neat enough.
    The dirt never comes through. Add a pine cone for looks.
    It adds compost as it breaks down, keeps weeds down, retains moisture, works as a good mulch for pots. But I really do not care what they look like really. I guess if I used more rocks, thick enough, I would not have had those problems. I collect the pine straw myself and many pine cones are in it, I didn't add for looks, they are just so many I stopped picking them out. It's organic matter and so is not really an issue. They look good even when almost completely broken down. I add pine straw because it is an excellent mulch, it's functional, it happens to look OK too.
    {{gwi:52291}}
    {{gwi:52292}}
    It looks nice in my rasied beds too,
    {{gwi:23060}}

• ash1970_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey that's very nice. Impressive growth and looks good.

I've just started to look into this - my problem is that I just want the plants to grow well and have never cared about "dressing" them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

This post was edited by ash1970 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 17:02

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

The pine straw in the raised beds looked good for a bit, but soon the plants had a say!
    {{gwi:52293}}

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I thought of making nice looking rock mixes, a gritty mix, but none really looked very good. Using river rock and other nice rocks, but it just never worked for me. I have seen others do a great job. I lack the skill! I can grow stuff well, but making it look nice is another skill altogether!
    Al seems to do well with looks, not me! My yard looks more like a jungle! His looks like a very neat garden! It looks relaxing, mine looks like a couger is going to jump out and grab you!

• nil13
    9 years ago

For stuff that likes water, I use bark. For dry stuff, I use gravel. I just keep a couple of buckets of fancy gravel around..

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Personally, I avoid using any top dressing in containerized plants, whether indoor or outdoor. I need to be able to access the actual medium to check for moisture, and I want to be able to see the medium, itself. I don't want insects to have anywhere to hide, or for anything to change the rate of moisture absorption, etc.

For me, growing plants isn't about aesthetics or convenience... my plants aren't decor items; they're living things that I enjoy caring for and watching grow and bloom... it's about plant health and growth.

But to each his or her own...

I simply find that any additional layer of material is detrimental to my goals in growing.

Nice raised beds in the photos! (I don't even use a layer to top my raised beds, though I could if I had access to straw that wouldn't bring with it weed and other seeds.)