Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Stressed Ficus Bonsai

Posted by Krisenr none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 18:00

Hey All,

I received a ficus from an online shipper about a week ago. It had a couple yellow leaves when it arrived, i thought nothing of it. The plant arrived in it's pot, but the soil was literally dripping wet. It still hasn't dried much at all and more leaves are changing from green to yellow and falling off.

I have some gritty mix on hand, should I do a full repot now? If not, what should I do.

-Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Stressed Ficus Bonsai

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 11:34

Kris - I would pull it from the pot & set it on newspaper until it (the newspaper) wicked the excess moisture from the pot. If it's horribly root bound, I would pot up into a similar soil and nurse it through the winter. Some folks over on the houseplant forum advise misleadingly that you can repot houseplants any time (with impunity), or that repotting in the spring is a good practice; but winter and spring are the two worst times to repot or do any serious pruning above or below the soil line on houseplants. That work is best done when the plants are full of reserve energy and will have plenty of time (good light/long days) to recover after the work. Around Father's Day, a little earlier or a little later - depending on how far N or S you are, is a good time to repot any houseplants that aren't specifically 'winter growers'.

Let me know how the roots look & we'll figure out the best plan.

Al

A willow leaf/narrow leaf Ficus just before pruning operations:
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 12:08

Kris - also see the thread I'm linking you to below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: May be of additional interest. Click me!

o

Thanks for the advice Al. The roots aren't dead, but the soil is definitely way to saturated. It's sitting on news paper now.

The roots are wrapped around the pot, it came out easily in one piece from the pot. I'm in Brooklyn, NY, pretty much as south as you can get in NYC (right by the Verrazano Bridge, if you'd like to google map it).

I'll take a look at the link and respond there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here