Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

Turface for germinating coconut?

briana_2006
11 years ago

Hello all -

Thought I'd try to germinate a coconut. I have selected a "fresh" coconut from the store - fresh at least in the sense that it was a new arrival to the store. According to selection information at the store - I selected one I believe to be "heavy" for its size without any cracks in the shell and no appearance of any mold/etc - i.e. it seems in good shape and seems to have a fair amount of liquid inside. To disinfect it I submerged it for about 5 minutes in ~ 10 cups of water containing 10 teaspoons of bleach (1tsp bleach per 1 cup warm water). After soaking in the bleach solution I rinsed it well with water. I am planning to soak the coconut in water overnight. I am then planning to plant it with the three "eyes" facing up out of the turface and placing the plastic container on a table in a south facing window. I am considering placing a clear cover over the top that will allow light in and keep humidity up but am not sure if this will generate too much heat or mold - I would remove and replace the cover periodically (daily?). From my reading it takes about 6-9 months for a coconut to germinate if it is going to do it. I have the components for gritty mix so I could plant in gritty mix if that would be better. Any suggestions for changes to my method to try to have the best chance at success?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH