Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudinam

Adenium Obesum (Desert Rose) -- is it having a problem?

claudinam
17 years ago

My Desert Rose's leaves have been yellowing, then they drop. Here are some details that might be useful:

- I live in Zone 10, South Florida

- The soil seems hard -- I can get my finger into it only a little bit

- When I pull it out of the pot, the roots seem healthy/white (I am posting a picture of this)

These are my questions:

Is it normal for it to start dropping leaves/is it going into "rest"?

Is it ever OK for the soil to be hard?

If I need to repot, how much bigger does the pot need to be?

Is it OK to use Scott's soil for Cacti and Succulents or can I do my own mix? What should it be?

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• claudinam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No responses yet :( Would someone please help me? Even if you can't or don't have time to answer all my questions, answer what you can...thanks so much.

• georgeiii
    17 years ago

Haaaahaha if ever there was a plant that was a pain in the ass to learn. First This is a surface plant. Use the same rule that you do for most plant. Make sure it's at the same level when you replant it. Sandy or loamy soil because it stores water, doesn't like sitting even in moist media. Always find what condition it was grown in. Grow it in bright light not full sun. I say this again bright light not full sun. Think of it as a carrot that's laying on top of the media. They don't like heavy soil. The yellowing leaves usually means to little light. Or to big a change in light. If you just bought it just give it time. Grow it with bonsi in mind rather that roses. If you have a rather thick bulb you have time. I grow mine from seed. It's an interesting plant not many people try this but as I said their interesting to grow. Good luck.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

I would have to disagree with the advice given here.

Adeniums love full sun. All you have to do is look at photos of them in habitat. They are native to very arid locations usually surrounded by rocks, not other plants.

I also disagree with always replanting at the same level when you repot it. There is nothing wrong with lower the soil level to expose the great caudex this plant has.

Adeniums will do better with a fast draining soil. A compact, hard soil usually will lead to rot problems.

randy

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I do believe it drops its leaves in the winter. Ours did last year. Don't fret, it'll get them back.

• claudinam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guys,

I don't have time to respond to each post right now, but wanted to take a moment to thank you all so much for your responses.

Claudine

P.S.: Is there any way for me to post a picture of it, so you can see it? It seems like some forums allow you to post a picture, some don't.

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

I will give yet another cultural approach:

"1) Grow adeniums as wetland tropicals, not desert plants. 2) Reject rule #1 when the plants are dormant."

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to adenium culture site

• bananarama_1
    17 years ago

Yes, leaves drop sometimes if not given enough water.
    Adeniums love full sun.
    Do not replant at the same height. Take the adenium out of the container and flush with water to expose the caudex and roots. Replant in larger container..I use ceramic so it's heavy enough to support the height of the plant. Cactus mix is fine.
    Here's my pride and joy! You can see how much of the caudex I've exposed. You should do this about every two years....getting ready to do it again this year!

{{gwi:52437}}

{{gwi:52439}}

• watergal
    17 years ago

bananarama, WOW! Gorgeous plant. Here in Maryland, I don't think I've ever seen one survive past a 6" pot without being killed off by spider mites!

• pottedpete
    15 years ago

I recently re-potted my adendiun in cacti mix which was extremely hard to get an even moisture level. As a result one turned yellow the other (leaves) all wilted after two-three weeks no change. In order to relieve the stress I cit the branches back. The caudex on both plants remained hard as a rock. Sun level one gets full morning sun 2-3 hours the other with the wilted leaves was put in full sun. so the Q remains where did I go wrong and is there any help. PS...bananarama fm florida his are fantastic i noticed they are against a white painted wall so they really are getting the light

• hammock_gal
    15 years ago

Old thread - but for those come after:

Also check it Oleander Moth caterpillars (aka Polka-dot Wasp Moth). Since the desert rose is in the same family, the caterpillars love it!

They get mine every year, I take them off, plant keeps coming back.

• cxjr25
    14 years ago

Hello everyone. I have pictures of my desert rose problem. Leaves have turned yellow/orange and there are deposits under the leaves. Can someone fill me in on a possible solution?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GKjEOt8jM6k/SfJz1nhixUI/AAAAAAAAAuU/6ElNWjkZPe4/s640/DSC00409.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GKjEOt8jM6k/SfJz2672uDI/AAAAAAAAAuc/8RCbyIVj8WY/s640/DSC00410.JPG

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I had aphid and spider mite problem with my adenium seedlings and the lower leaves were rapidly yellowing and falling. I read somewhere to spray it everyday with epsom salt solution and water it with epsom salt. I tryed this method and my tiny seedling perked up well and now it is very much green and growing well.

Hope this method might help.

• sned
    13 years ago

I've grown many from seed, I've started a hedge of Desert Rose along one side of my drive way various colors and types. it seems that one or two have yellowing leafs but I attribute it to all the rain these past few days. If they are in pots the info I have is to re-pot once a year lifting them a bit to expose more caudex note that if they are from cutting they won't have a caudex.

• StefanSanity
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Ive also been having some trouble out of my Adenium Obesum. But as I am looking through some of the suggested caused and cures. I am finding it a little hard to compare since there are a few differences.
    I purchased my Adenium Obesum about a month ago online. It arrive healthy, about 2.5-3" tall green and healthy. She was obviously grown from seed since she has the infamous fat trunk.

I done a little research before purchasing the plant. I got to know it like dry arid conditions, fast draining soil, and PLENTY of sun light. I also read you could train Adenium Obesum to become indoor tolerant. My potting medium is bonsai potting mix, and sand; no course or dead plant material as it is highly susceptible to root rot. Since it has arrive I placed the plant in indirect sunlight but still pretty bright. After about a week or so I noticed a bit of yellowing in a few of the leaves. Come 2 days later it has spread to a few more, a few days later the first yellowing leaves begin to wilt. Then fall off. You get the idea. So now its a month later and I have a most of the original leaves, but a few have fallen off and most haven either yellowed or becoming yellow. I know my water is draining fast, the only thing I can think is light, or the water I am currently using (tap) is not kosher with my Adenium Obesum.

Please help, I want to see my little girl thrive. I know Adenium Obesum are such BEAUTIFUL trees, which is why I purchased it to begin with. The situation isnt too dire, but until I get some help I have her placed outside my window in direct sunlight most of the day. Btw I am watering her about once-twice a week. Im still figuring out what she likes as far as water. Remember this is a baby not some of the beauts you guys have posted.

Thanks once again,
    Stefan

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Stefan,
    my Desert Rose is leafless and dormant now, and I haven't watered it for almost two months.
    When dormant, it is best not to water. I feel the trunk every few weeks to make sure that it
    is not becoming soft. When it does begin to soften, that's when I water (until plump again).

During the Summer, I water and fertilize copiously.

Second issue is the sand in your mix. Get rid of the sand completely, and re-pot
    into a fast-draining mix this Summer.

Josh

• davemichigan
    11 years ago

There is now a dedicated adenium forum....

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium Forum

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Stefan - if you're still around - contact me off forum & I'll send you a little bag of soil your plant will like. For now - stop all watering if you haven't already.

Al

• memereboy
    9 years ago

My Desert Rose is very large and heavy. recently (6 months or more) it has developed a green mosslike growth on the trunks and the leaves turn yellow (spotty) and fall of along with some of the blooms. This plant was a showpiece 2 years ago with thousands of blooms and a healthy growth. Any idea what is wrong and why it has not continued to be the prize it has always been. I have had this plant for over 15 years and it has only recently begun to decline. HELP!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It looks like some kind of lichens to me. They don't hurt the plant. You can wipe them off gently. They are a sign of poor fertilizing, poor watering, wrong sunlight, etc. When I grew them in Florida, they always dropped leaves and struggled in the winter time.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It looks like some kind of lichens to me. They don't hurt the plant. You can wipe them off gently. They are a sign of poor fertilizing, poor watering, wrong sunlight, etc. When I grew them in Florida, they always dropped leaves and struggled in the winter time.