Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses happy in 511...but

Posted by RexEdwardFairy 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 18:24

Hi Container Gardening Forum (and maybe even Al himself if I'm lucky).

Last winter (In Aus, so July), I transplanted half my roses (7) from potting mix in containers to Al's 511 in containers. I live in the subtropics, 15m from the beach (so there's no way i"m gonna try grow roses in the ground - containers it is). Both sets of roses (those in 511) and those in potting soil mix are very happy. The potting soil mix roses are happy now that i've fed them worm compost. I'm wondering if I can also feed my roses in 511 with the compost (solid matter I'm talking) or would that actually mess with the textural component of what works so well with the 511 - allowing the roots to breathe...? ie if i suddenly throw solid-compost into the mix, its sorta like throwing in dirt - and changing the entire composition of 511 itself. Any thoughts anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses happy in 511...but

Yes, you are correct: adding fine-textured compost will change the drainage and retention
properties of the mix. I would recommend a liquid or slow-release fertilizer for the containers.

Josh

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 11:18

I save my compost for my garden.

o

Thanks nil13 and Josh.

Yes Josh, that's what the roses in 511 have been getting so far (liquid seasol plus organic slow-release alternating with chemical slow-release) and they're quite happy.
Thanks for confirming that adding compost would upset the 511 mix.

I'll just keep the compost for the roses (and my other plants) that are still in traditional potting mix.

o

Thanks nil13 and Josh.

Yes Josh, that's what the roses in 511 have been getting so far (liquid seasol plus organic slow-release alternating with chemical slow-release) and they're quite happy.
Thanks for confirming that adding compost would upset the 511 mix.

I'll just keep the compost for the roses (and my other plants) that are still in traditional potting mix.

o

Yup I agree. I use both slow release and soluble fertilizer for my container plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here