Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproof Coating for Wood Containers??

Posted by RichardLV none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 18:43

Hello - I am new here and live in Las Vegas - looking to start a fall/winter project with my father - because he is getting older - we are looking at building a raised container gardening system out of wood (seems to be the most economical)... I did a bunch of research and found this Rubberizeit product (https://www.rubberizeit.com) - looks like this would be suitable to protect the wood from rot due to the moisture - they say it works for container gardening and it's non-toxic.

Has anyone used this product?

Thanks,

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproof Coating for Wood Containers??

What you are speaking of is called a "raised bed"
Use redwood or cedar � both are beautiful and rot-resistant.

Here is a link,and there is plenty more info on the web.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to build a raised bed

o

Thank you - however, I am looking for a cost effective solution - appearance isnt going to be that big of an issue - it's really not visible. Was just looking to get feedback on the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid Rubber

o

You can always use a sealer, most likely cheaper than the product mentioned in OP.

o

Just read about this tip yesterday:

SEALING YOUR PLANTERS
April 2, 2011
Sealing Your Containers

You can extend the life of your wooden planters and it doesn't take much to do it. We found that if you use a pruning sealer it will do a great job of preserving your planters and containers. Pruning Sealer is normally used to seal the cuts and wounds on trees after they have been cut or damaged in any way. This prevents pest and diseases from entering the tree and damaging it. The same principle holds true for planters. If you just spray a coating on the inside of your planter or container it will prevent disease and decay from shortening the life of your planter. Check for Pruning Sealer at your local independent garden center or nursery. The product we found was from Bonide.

Here is a link that might be useful: seal wooden containers

o

Just an FYI, tree wound dressing is no long recommended. They found it's better to just let the tree seal ups it's own wounds.

o

It was originally meant for roofing, I believe it's made from bitumen (asphalt) and acrylic. Not so comfortable with using asphalt that close to my veggies, though I suppose it's stable once cured. Don't really think it's worth the extra cost as compared to standard, more widely available transparent sealers, especially since the opaque tar-black color destroys any aesthetic value from the wooden planters.

I could be totally off, but the OP's post seems like advertising to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here