Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_parsons3820

fall watering/feeding

ynot
11 years ago

Really enjoy this forum. Have learned so much from experienced growers ... but still have trouble fully understanding/comprehending it all. Please don't get me wrong; I'm not questioning the advice I read; I simply don't get it at times. I think part of my problem lies in the fact that what little experience I have is with perennials and shrubs planted outdoors in the native soil. I'm finding that caring for plants in containers is a new world. Although I've read that this is not the best time to switch plants to a soilless mix, I had to try it! So I now have several hostas, formerly near death from residing in a pot filled with garden soil... I know, stupid me... transplanted into the 5-1-1 mix about which I've received advice.

Now my concerns are watering and feeding from now to spring. In a question regarding trees, I was told to keep the roots just damp enough over the winter to keep them from drying out. Does this apply as well to hostas? Even in the lower temps we're having, I'm still watering every other day to keep the mixture damp. Do I keep this up through the winter? Also,I never ever fertilize plants growing outside in the soil after mid July, but what about plants in containers? Since they don't have the benefit of nutrients from soil, don't they need to be fed? Your advice will be appreciated, and followed.

Comments (6)

• ynot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello all. Having received no response to my questions after a week, I'm wondering if I've committed an unintentional faux pas, used innappropriate words or am too much of a newbie. I'm very interested in applying all that I've read, from Al and others, to my trip into container gardening. I suppose my questions should have been placed in the hosta forum but I chose to ask them here because they dealt exclusively with container gardening. I'm simply experimenting with hostas because they are the one plant readily at hand; my intention was to apply what I learn to repotting Japanese maples, which I purchased earlier this fall, in the spring. Since I intend to use either the 5-1-1 or gritty mix at that time, I simply wanted to get information (watering and feeding in the winter) that was appropriate to those mixes.
    So I'll move over to the hosta and maple forums with the questions. I've truly enjoyed reading the many posts and loads of information in this forum and look forward to returning after getting a planting and growing season under my belt.
    All the best.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Hello terratoma,

No faux pas as far as I'm aware, the forums are a bit slow at this time of year. I don't know all that much about hostas and rather than try to answer you questions, I'll refer you to another thread (linked below) about overwintering hostas in pots. Sorry if you've already seen it.

Also, how do you know you need to water every other day to keep the soil damp? Are you judging by the surface appearance? To get a better idea of what's going on in the pot, you can use a bamboo skewer - insert it into your pot and remove it to see if there's moisture down in the pot. I'm not sure where you're located, but you shouldn't need to water that frequently at this time of year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering hostas in pots

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

terratoma

I have at least dozen, if not more, hostas in pots for more than 3 years. I don't water or fertilize any during the winter. They all overwinter outside. I just make sure that they are in well draining soil, since standing water will more than likely kill them.

I also have some shrubs in pots (at least 25 - all grown from cuttings, 1 to 4yrs old), a 2 yr old rowan tree, few yews (grown from cuttings) and junipers (one is grown from seed, other abt.5yrs old that I bought), also a lilac Miss Kim and a tree peony.
    They all overwinter outside.
    They are planted in regular pots (not a bonsai).

I would water them if it was too dry (no rain or snow) for extended period of time.

Same as hostas, as long as the soil drains well, they are ok. I mulch with some shreded leaves, after hard frost.
    I have lost some in the past while potted in ordinary garden soil - they were just too wet.

Rina

• ynot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maple grove and Rina: thank you both for your responses.
    Maple grove, thanks for the hosta link. I had read numerous threads in that forum which provided varying suggestions. In most cases, however, it was unclear as to whether they were using regular (very water-retentive) potting mix or a bark-based mix like 5-1-1 (very little water retention). Also, many of the suggestions were in opposition to each other; for example, some suggested leaving the pots out all winter, regardless of rainfall, while others kept theirs protected from rain. (I'm really not complaining. After all, the purpose of the forum embraces the sharing of ideas. Guess I had just reached a point where I needed a strong hand to offer some hard core guidance based on science.)
    I mixed a batch of 5-1-2, using twice as much perlite compared with the original 5-1-1. Common sense should have made me realize it would drain more than usual. I usually, and carefully, slide a finger inside the perimeter of the pot to check for moisture. I'll definitely try the skewer. Now that the weather is getting cooler, there may not be as much loss of water.
    Rina, thanks for your advice about woody plants. As mentioned, I want to use knowledge gleaned from these posts when I repot those Japanese maples in the spring and didn't know the winter watering/feeding requirements. What makes it worse, I'm having to keep these trees in the soil they were in when they arrived from the nursery in September_ not the most free-draining! I'll be sure to keep them out of the rain over the winter.
    Again, thanks to both of you.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

I don't know about Japanese maples (do not have any), they seem to be more sensitive. Here is advice from Al on another thread:

partially submerge or not? Al, please help.

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 23:15

If you have a spot, on the north side of a building, out of the wind, & buried to the pot rim then mulched is a great set-up. The two things to remain on top of are, making sure the pots don't dry out during periods of little precipitation, and that you try to discourage voles/mice/rabbits. If you can put them against the building, just mulching them heavily is enough - no need to dig them in unless you feel like it. The later approach just means you need to be a little more on top of the watering thing.
    Best luck!!

Al
    Checking the soil in pots for moisture is a good idea, sometimes it's just too dry & they may need watering.

Rina

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I agree with what the others said. I over-winter them resting on grow-bench material (perforated polyethylene planking) that rests on the ground against the north side of my garage, or IN my unheated garage, and they get no fertilizer after the mean temperature is below about 60* (say about Oct 1) or the frost knocks them back. I don't water them regularly, but I do check them from time to time to make sure the soil hasn't become too dry. If, in my judgment it has, I toss a little snow on the soil's surface & let it melt. Freeze/thaw cycles aren't a problem, but killing lows are. Fortunately, hostas are very hardy, with any I've grown not needing any type of protection here - other than not letting them get overly wet or allowing the soil to get warmer than about 42* while dormant. The warm soil temps can set them to growing & significantly reduce their ability to tolerate chill, thus the northerly exposure out of sun.

I read your post earlier, but figured there were a lot of growers here who could answer it for you, so I sort of skipped over it. I'm kind of surprised no one jumped on it right away (not a jab or admonishment - just a passing thought). I'm sorry for my part in your receiving a tardy reply. Best luck!

Al