Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al. I have a question about PWT? Thank you

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 19:01

Hey Al!

I was wondering. Will filing the bottom of a deep container with those clay balls for hydroponic growing, you know, the ones about 1/4 inch big or even broken clay pot pieces help one to avoid a PWT with the mix above these. Could there be any benefit to this?

Then if the roots decide to grow into the clay with some mix that falls through, it would still be just moist with no PWT?

I would assume that clay will absorb the water right out of any mix like a wick does, no?

Thanks a bunch

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al. I have a question about PWT? Thank you

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 19:44

A layer of Hydroton on the bottom of containers would be about the same as a layer of marbles of the same size. Initially, when they were dry, they'd absorb some water, but after they were wet, they'd remain saturated. If the layer was shallow, it would have no impact on reducing the ht of the perched water table & probably nearly no impact on o/a water retention. If the layer was deep, soil would probably rest on top of the layer & cause the PWT to be even taller than w/o the Hydroton. They wouldn't have any notable impact on drainage (flow through rates), and if you were just looking for ballast to reduce o/a water retention, marbles or stones (something not internally porous) would actually be a better choice.

Al

o
RE: Al. I have a question about PWT? Thank you

Thank you Al

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here