Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryo2

Balcony evergreen vine zone 6B in container

terryo2
13 years ago

I just joined this website and posted the below in Balcony Forum.

My NY city fire escape is about to be converted into a 'real' balcony.I plan to put containers with trellis against the outer edges of balcony railing.Lots of light(south east-mostly east); no shade from above or beyond; hot & dry in summer; cold in winter with some days below freezing.I'm looking for an evergreen,hardy climber.Blossoms would be nice but most important is green all year & able to withstand cold wind,sometimes freezing temps in winter & hot dry sun in summer & winter.

Would appreciate any suggestions for evergreen climber and ideas about when to begin planting - as well as thoughts about diminishing impact of the harsh forces of wind, cold, and sun. Have been thinking about honeysuckle and euonymus but maybe they are not hardy enough to remain evergreen.

Comments (13)

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I think the problem you're going to run into will have to do with winter survival of a container grown perennial. Without protection and a lot of insulation from freezing temperatures and frigid winds, container grown plants don't usually survive northern winters. Without being below ground or placed in a protected building, the root system in the pot is left very exposed. I'm not sure just wrapping a pot would provide enough insulation.

Perhaps someone else has some suggestions on how to maintain a perennial in a container through winters, exposed as it will be on a balcony. I've always kept my potted trees and such in a garage over winter, mainly to keep them out of the winds. It's the windchill that I'd be mainly concerned about.

I'd suggest growing annual vines, which fill out quickly and can provide you with a nice amount of both foliage and flowers. Something like Cup & Saucer Vine, or Morning Glories... there are lots of annual vines that would fill your needs.

I'm sure someone else can add suggestions...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

This might sound a bit whacky, but what about a snaking type of conifer that could be woven and pruned
    to fill up a trellis?

Josh

• terryo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To Jodik and Greenman: Thanks so much for quick response (my first time posting on this site - am a newbie & not quite sure yet how it works). Jodik--I have grown morning glories for years on existing fire escape. They flourish and get richer every year - but die off in late fall (I am still enjoying them w/ thick foliage,blooms that refuse to face inwards, & vines that grow up to the roof). [I have pics but not sure how to upload directly here -I'll figure it out.] Josh -- the idea of a winding conifer sounds really promising but I wonder if they get woody and heavy as the years go by; any suggestions about what kind of conifer might work?] PS: this might give some indication of the conditions here: years ago I did grow euonymus cuttings given to me by my father and they grew rather well for a couple of years and then, not sure -- too much sun, too little water, not enough protection -- they died. So maybe conditions aren't as severe as I originally wrote. Thank you so much for feedback. Terry

• nandina
    13 years ago

Terry, here is the answer I wrote you several days ago which disappeared suddenly and never posted. Life on GardenWeb can sometimes be frustrating. But, welcome to the Forums! Now, let's see if this old retired pro can help you.

Greenman suggested exactly what I had written about; "...a snaking type of conifer that could be woven and pruned...".
    This is the best option to meet your needs and the following two common types should be very available in your area nurseries. Either Bar Harbor juniper (Juniperus horizontalis 'Bar Harbor') or Shore Juniper (Juniperus conferta). Many nurseries sell these junipers potted in large sizes and already secured to a strong trellis, for a price. Or, if you decide to purchase younger plants select ones with a number of leads (branches). These types of juniper can live for years in the same pot against adverse conditions in soil which drains well and are happy with a handful of slow release fertilizer in early spring. It will be many years before these get "woody and heavy" and thoughtful pruning and training help to prevent it.

If you are growing morning glories presently then you should be able to plan out annual container grown color from early spring to late fall. There are some wonderful ideas both in books written about balcony gardens and also searching, balcony gardens + NYC.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

My concern was in keeping a deciduous perennial out in the elements through the frigid winters. A container high up on a balcony won't have the insulation afforded by being grown in the ground, which places the roots in some peril. However, perhaps a zone 6b environment will be warm enough where plants could tolerate the windchill.

• terryo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nandina (and all): Many thanks for your great suggestions and generous advice. The junipers sound like a wonderful solution which I will pursue. The new fire escape/balcony won't be completed until the spring. Is that a good time to plant them? Nandina - I did look in books and did a lot of searching on the web (how I found Gardenweb) but did not locate information as specific and as useful as yours. I live in Manhattan so you might imagine that my 'area nurseries' are limited in number and astronomical in price. Do you think the junipers are plants that I could order and have sent bare root? If OK to order bare root, can you suggest a source? The new 'balcony' will be about 30' long so I will need quite a few. Any idea how many needed to cover that length? Sorry for so many questions and grateful for the many answers. Terry

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Junipers are very tough, and they are often sent bare-root in early Spring.

Let us know how it goes!

Josh

• terryo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh. Just saw your posting as I was looking at images of the junipers and reading more about them. Their color has depth and am also interested in the berries. Nandina's idea of mixing them with blossoming annuals makes me so impatient for the spring (which, here in NY, lasts about 10 minutes or so). From what I've read, it looks like they may not be very fast growing. Thanks again.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

FWIW - Junipers are good choices for containers, but since you mentioned 'year-round green', you might wish to keep in mind there are few junipers that don't go quite bronze (change from their normal green during the growing season to a more brownish color) in the winter. All mine are turning already.

Al

• nandina
    13 years ago

Terry, here are some thoughts that come to mind...

1. If you can arrange a trip out to the Long Island nurseries you should find the junipers mentioned there.

2. If your purchasing has to be on-line then order only from www.lazyssfarm.com. A top notch nursery that babies its plants and customers. You can send them a e-mail explaining that you plan to train junipers on trellises and you need plants with a number of leaders and they will work with you. I just skimmed through their on-line catalog (drool) and note that they carry Juniperus chinenses 'Blue Alps'. Perfect for your needs. Retains its green color all winter. All container grown plants can be planted at any time of the year.

2. Because the junipers are not fast growers suggest that you intersperse them with pots in which you could grow deciduous shrubs that are attractive in the winter months. The following are available at the same nursery, Salix alba 'Flame', Viburnum carlesii (fantastic bloom fragrance) and Lonicera x Mandarin PP#11,083. The latter is a beautiful all summer blooming vine to be trellised and is considered invasive but you are growing in the concrete jungle so it should not be a problem. This assortment plus five junipers plus pots of annuals should be a good beginning for you. See how this works out.

3. Take some time to study the Winter Sowing Forum. It is an easy method which will allow you to grow annuals inexpensively.

4. Strongly suggest the following. You will need some method of securing branches and vines. The most permanent, easy to use type that I have found is a heavy duty, single-wrap Velcro. Strong, durable, attractive, almost unnoticed, sold in a green color, holds through hurricanes as I can attest. It will probably be easier for you to order it on-line from www.homesew.com. Another customer friendly company.

• terryo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al: thanks for the heads-up re junipers bronzing in winter. Looks like nandina has addressed that in latest post. So grateful for specific information from you all.

Nandina: I have learned so much from you already.I can arrange trip to LI nurseries or to somewhere else in NY area. But www.lazyssfarm.com seems so careful, I don't know which I should do. Can you suggest nursery sources in LI or NY area? I did look at the deciduous shrubs you suggested - lovely and seem in tune with how I want to plan this.

Happily, here in concrete jungle, I need not worry about invasive plants. Am actually in a 'cast iron district' w/ cobblestone roads, not so much concrete, absolutely no jungle/rain forest - only need to worry about invasive skyscrapers.

Thanks for such great information and advice.
    Terry

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Welcome Terry. I live outside NY in Westchester Cty. approx 45 mins north of the City. There are a number of good nurseries right off the parkway. Sprainbrook Nursery - large and carries everything. Green Valley Nursery - large and specializes in trees and shrubs. Rosedale Nursery - more pricy but beautiful stuff. Very knowledgeable staff. All are large nurseries and carry everything. Beautiful trees and shrubs and many container plants. All three of these nurseries cater to people from the City.

You can take the Westside to Saw Mill Pkwy and they are right off the Saw Mill. They are all open Sat. & Sun. Let me know if you want their phone #'s.

Jane

• terryo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane, Thanks for your nursery information. We are still in process of finalizing the construction of new balcony and am thinking it won't be ready for planting till the spring. But am trying to garner info re the right plants and 'landscaping' since this balcony (former fire escape of our loft) is/will be so visually present in the living area that it needs to be viable in all seasons. Great to know that there are nurseries with knowledgeable staff in the neighboring vicinities. New York City nurseries (including Red Hook) seem very limited, not so informative, and rather mercenary. I am saving your post in my cuttings. Really appreciate your taking the time to give us this information. Terry

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm