Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Suggestions for planting a large barrel

luvtosharedivs
12 years ago

Hi all,

My neighbor just gave me this old barrel, and I'd like to use it as a planter next season:

{{gwi:52665}}

It stands 35" tall, and the inside diameter is 20".

The inside looks as if it is sealed with a tar-like substance, but there are cracks between the vertical boards/(slats?)

I certainly won't fill the whole barrel with soil, but plan to put something in the bottom half or two thirds (like styrofoam peanuts, for example,) covered with landscape cloth, then soil on top.

OR...I could set another container on top of that layer.

How would you plant such a barrel?

And what might you put in it?

I thought some trailing annuals, like sweet potato vines would look nice, but what else might you suggest?

Julie

Comments (8)

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Tomato

• flora2b
    12 years ago

I would plant something tall in it, either centered or towards the back, to balance the height and then flowing plants around it to soften the edges.
    It will make a great planter and I agree not to fill full of soil, that would just be a waste.
    flora

• terrybull
    12 years ago

pumpkin

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting suggestions...

Tomato sounds like a good idea, except for the fact that I get tomatoes coming out of my ears from my neighbor, who grows enough to give away to all her friends and relatives.

Flora,
    I like your idea of something tall for balance. I need to be careful with the high winds we sometimes get around here, so I'd have to stake or cage anything that can't hold its own in a windstorm.

Pumpkin???
    Well, I guess that would give my neighbors something to talk about. I can just see a pumpkin vine growing over the edge of the barrel, trailing along the ground, eventually producing the Fall fruit (or is it a veggie?)

Thanks for your ideas, all.

Any more suggestions?

Julie

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Huge, white Geraniums, light purple petunias, pale yellow daisies, white (blah-blah) pouring over the sides, spreading Jenny pouring over the sides, pink and lavender impatiens, trailing vinca vine, maybe one tall peach canna with striped leaves. You could also just put one grand hosta in there and leave it all winter. I'm thinking h. 'Liberty" or h. 'Sagae.' Or, h. montana aureomarginata. YES.
    Pat

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Or, one beautiful hardy blue hydraenga.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patann,

Wow! You have some great ideas. You must be a gifted landscaper. I like the idea of white added to a planting arrangement. I've never grown cannas, but have seen them in several gardens around the area. I like that idea for something tall.

I see you are a fellow Hosta lover. I have all three of those you mentioned. I would hesitate to grow a Hosta in an above ground container around here, though, and expect it to survive the winter. Seems I saw something on the Hosta forum about risky survival rate (in zone 5) if grown in pots....the freeze-thaw thing heaving them out of the soil.

I see on your member page that you love retirement. I do too! It's been a year & a half now, and I'm having so much fun playing:)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Julie

• howelbama
    12 years ago

drill holes around the sides and fill er up with yummy strawberries :)