Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendumb

Tree Grow Bags

greendumb
10 years ago

Anyone have experience with the High Caliper Grow Bags or similar bags. I have heard their spiel directly from them but would like to know if I can get some further input from a non sales position. I would like to try some fruit trees and brambles. Thanks

Comments (4)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I've been using their Smart Pots for four years for vegetables and I think they're great. The largest ones I use are 25 gallons. When they sit on the ground, they act like mini-raised beds. They hold up very well. I was sold on them after reading the journal articles on their website that report on how they compare to standard nursery pots.

• greendumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to put up a shade tunnel and eventually turn it into a greenhouse with a wet wall. High winds hail and late spring frost almost always destroy my crops of fruits. This year was going to be the year I had an orchard full of fruit( I thought). We usually have our last spring freeze between April 18th and the 28th. Unfortunately we had 4 nights of freezing temperatures in May. There was still quite a bit of fruit left because I had not thinned the orchard yet. Then came the hail. It hailed 8 times between May 6th and June 4th. Well, that was the end of this seasons crop.

This is why I will start with a shade tunnel and when finances allow, a full greenhouse will be next. I am primarily interested in grow bags to keep a custom soil and air prune the roots and avoid root circling.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I've growing fruits in fabric pots (both Smart Pots and Root Pouches) for a couple of years now, and I've been very happy with the results. Also, if you haven't already, be sure to check out posts by fruitnut in the Fruits and Orchards forum. I think you'll find a lot of what he does extremely relevant to your own situation and goals.

• lomodor
    10 years ago

i have 2 amorphophallus potted in fabric pots..i found a place that makes really "heavy duty" ones..
    i ..well my plants.. love them..
    they drain faster than plastic pots..so i did water them more..i have them outside..now inside of course..
    i plan to buy many more.. one of my reasons ..i cant find
    really HUGE pots..which i need.. 200 gallon and bigger..
    i know i'll be lucky to get 3 seasons out of them..but about the same as with good plastic pots.. and i use the
    5:1:1 "my version" of potting mix in them..and they are
    great..