Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

Posted by bmh76 pa (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 20:52

Hello...I'm new to gardening and new to this forum. I planted 23 garlic bulbs in 2 flower pots. They are sprouting quickly, with about 3 to 5 inches showing above the soil. My question is what to do about Hurricane Sandy which will affect my area in about 36 hours with over 5 inches of rain. Will all of this excessive rain adversely affect the plants? Should I move them indoors or just protect them from the high winds? I made sure I put about an inch of mulch on top of the soil, but I'm not sure if I should do more for my plants. Thank you for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

Hello bmh! We too will soon be dealing with sandy. My main question is what kind of soil are they potted in? A normal soil could quickly flood with heavy rainfall. Another concern I have is how heavy are the pots? The winds are forecast to get quite strong. With all that said I think it would be wise to just bring them indoors or in a garage just for a couple days until the storm moves on.

Kristopher

o

Thanks for replying krismast. I used Miracle Gro potting soil for my garlic. Seems to be working great so far. They are planted in 12 inch deep by 18 inches wide square, light weight pots. I can shield them from being tossed around by the wind, but I think I won't be able to stop a deluge of rain from flooding the pots. The pots have plenty of drain holes, but still, 5+ inches of rain?? I think I just might pull them inside.

o

That's a good idea. I don't have experience with miracle gro potting soil but I used to use something similar. Even with drainage holes the rain that is forecasted will definitely flood the containers.

Kristopher

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 13:01

I agree - don't let them get unnecessarily exposed to all that rain.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here