Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
avocado pods, separate halves?

Posted by Joraine equatorial pacific % (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 21:12

Ive had these avocado pits in water for months and several sprouted... but the first one fell over just as is was breaking apart at the bottom and dropping a root. I tossed the halves into a small crock pottery and filled with dirt thinking it would make decent dirt in a month. Now its 2 months later, and those 2 halves sprouted 2 shoots, tall and strong. Better than the others that I cared for.

Anyone heard of avocados shooting 2 massive sprouts like that?

My issue now is that I had them in a tiny 2-cup pot crock, I like stumped plants but this thing has a will to thrive and seems to be 2 of them, Im gonna plant them out front.
assuming I can get it out of the crock.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: avocado pods, separate halves?

Yes, my avocado pits usually send up two distinct sprouts from each half.
In the past, I have removed the smaller of the two so that I have a single trunk specimen.

Josh

o

• Posted by Joraine equatorial pacific % (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 22:43

Have you ever left them both? I have 3 others and all are just as tall but no double shoots. This one broke in half, i assumed it was dead meat.

Turned out to be the biggest of them all.

o

No, I've never left both.
They sprout in my garden during the Summer, but I let them die with the first freeze.

Josh

o

I've got three avocado seedlings, two are twins from a single seed like you're describing. I've left them in the same container and they've done pretty well (for being house plants in a very different environment from their native one). The same thing happened to a lot of the citrus seeds I've sprouted.

I assume that they are both distinct individuals and should be perfectly viable if separated. Why are you expecting problems getting them out of the crockery they're in?

o

Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 19:23

late reply: Hexalm, my issue is twofold, not understanding the shoots and yes- getting those split halves out. The crock is small, like 2 or 3 cups of dirt at most and narrowed at the top like a tiny urn (it was a drinking moment and forgot about it), should I just dampen the grade and try tapping it out?

Thanks on the information, I was never aware of having 2 shoots, and to the others, thanks as well.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 0:24

I've also had two (or more) shoots, but mostly after the first one has died off...something that occurs far too often with me. I haven't figured out how to get them to survive more than a few months. Right now I have one at 1+ months still in water and 8 " high with leaves...still looking so good I'm scared to plant it in dirt and risk killing it.

o

Water-roots are brittle and inefficient when planted in soil.
If you want a better chance at success, don't start your Avocado pits in water....
sprout them in a moist paper towel in a zip-lock bag in a drawer, and then pot them
in well-draining soil as soon as the seed cracks open.

Josh

o

Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 22:56

greenman, I hadn't thought of that, makes perfect sense though. This pit had fallen off the porch rail and broke in half showing a small root forming inside, stuck them in dirt and never expected a sprout, just figured it would make a decent dirt (most dirt here is sandy, make my own enriched)but got a sprout from each one. I have one missing, assume a cat knocked it off and the locals cleaned it up but the last is about 5 months in a yougert cup with a good 14 inches and strong leaves with nothing but water... gonna have to be careful potting that one.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 6:31

greenman, what you say makes sense (about brittle water roots). I'll try it your way in the future as my luck has been zero using the water way.

But since I have a decent sprout growing in water, do you have any suggestions for the best way to keep it alive and transfer it to soil.

o

Very carefully... ;-)
Transfer the roots delicately and don't tamp or pack the soil down when potting.
Going from water to soil *can* work, it just makes it more difficult.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here