Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joraine_gw

avocado pods, separate halves?

Joraine
12 years ago

Ive had these avocado pits in water for months and several sprouted... but the first one fell over just as is was breaking apart at the bottom and dropping a root. I tossed the halves into a small crock pottery and filled with dirt thinking it would make decent dirt in a month. Now its 2 months later, and those 2 halves sprouted 2 shoots, tall and strong. Better than the others that I cared for.

Anyone heard of avocados shooting 2 massive sprouts like that?

My issue now is that I had them in a tiny 2-cup pot crock, I like stumped plants but this thing has a will to thrive and seems to be 2 of them, Im gonna plant them out front.

assuming I can get it out of the crock.

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Yes, my avocado pits usually send up two distinct sprouts from each half.
    In the past, I have removed the smaller of the two so that I have a single trunk specimen.

Josh

• Joraine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Have you ever left them both? I have 3 others and all are just as tall but no double shoots. This one broke in half, i assumed it was dead meat.

Turned out to be the biggest of them all.

12 years ago

No, I've never left both.
    They sprout in my garden during the Summer, but I let them die with the first freeze.

Josh

• hexalm
    12 years ago

I've got three avocado seedlings, two are twins from a single seed like you're describing. I've left them in the same container and they've done pretty well (for being house plants in a very different environment from their native one). The same thing happened to a lot of the citrus seeds I've sprouted.

I assume that they are both distinct individuals and should be perfectly viable if separated. Why are you expecting problems getting them out of the crockery they're in?

• Joraine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

late reply: Hexalm, my issue is twofold, not understanding the shoots and yes- getting those split halves out. The crock is small, like 2 or 3 cups of dirt at most and narrowed at the top like a tiny urn (it was a drinking moment and forgot about it), should I just dampen the grade and try tapping it out?

Thanks on the information, I was never aware of having 2 shoots, and to the others, thanks as well.

• jbclem
    12 years ago

I've also had two (or more) shoots, but mostly after the first one has died off...something that occurs far too often with me. I haven't figured out how to get them to survive more than a few months. Right now I have one at 1+ months still in water and 8 " high with leaves...still looking so good I'm scared to plant it in dirt and risk killing it.

12 years ago

Water-roots are brittle and inefficient when planted in soil.
    If you want a better chance at success, don't start your Avocado pits in water....
    sprout them in a moist paper towel in a zip-lock bag in a drawer, and then pot them
    in well-draining soil as soon as the seed cracks open.

Josh

• Joraine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greenman, I hadn't thought of that, makes perfect sense though. This pit had fallen off the porch rail and broke in half showing a small root forming inside, stuck them in dirt and never expected a sprout, just figured it would make a decent dirt (most dirt here is sandy, make my own enriched)but got a sprout from each one. I have one missing, assume a cat knocked it off and the locals cleaned it up but the last is about 5 months in a yougert cup with a good 14 inches and strong leaves with nothing but water... gonna have to be careful potting that one.

• jbclem
    12 years ago

greenman, what you say makes sense (about brittle water roots). I'll try it your way in the future as my luck has been zero using the water way.

But since I have a decent sprout growing in water, do you have any suggestions for the best way to keep it alive and transfer it to soil.

12 years ago

Very carefully... ;-)
    Transfer the roots delicately and don't tamp or pack the soil down when potting.
    Going from water to soil *can* work, it just makes it more difficult.

Josh