Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanfrancisconewbie

Please help--Draining containers are doing a number on my deck

sanfrancisconewbie
12 years ago

Hey Everybody,

I've got two wine barrel planters and a rectangular planter that I'm using to grow California natives on the wooden deck of my San Francisco condo. The plants are doing great, but the drainage from the containers is creating problems.

Every time I water the plants, the run-off falls onto my neighbors' deck, and that doesn't seem very fair to them. Even worse, the water doesn't get a chance to dry out, so it's creating the beginning signs of dryrot in the wood that's immediately below the planters.

What would be great is if there was a way to create a nice-looking drainage system that funneled out the water through tubes that protrude 6 to 9 inches from the side of the container.

I saw a planter that appeared to do just this. I took a picture of it at:

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/sanfrancisconewbie/?action=view&current=planter-1.jpg

I was so tempted to knock on the door of people who owned this very cool planter to find out how I could get something just like it. I ended up deciding not to bother the people. Anybody here have any thoughts about how to do this?

Comments (7)