Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my annona squamosa sugar apple fruit tree (photos)

Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 21:56

Hi

i bought this sugar apple tree 6 months ago and i moved it to a bigger container over all it is growing very well new leafs form almost daily.

2 months ago noticed signs of iron deficiency for which i gave frequent iron to the extent the water drains red when i water the tree .

Is this iron deficient plant or my diagnosis is wrong
when i do expect the leaf to be back to its normal look

sugar apple

sugar apple

sugar apple

sugar apple

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my annona squamosa sugar apple fruit tree (photos)

khourshed, the more usual symptom is a pale leaf blade with green leaf veins.
With a bit of imagination you can discern a green 'triangle' (outlined by the yellowing edge) on the older leaves. You have probably seen the same symptom on older palm fronds - especially Phoenix canariensis, the Canary Island date palm. The symptom is related to magnesium deficiency,
I think that you have over applied iron and this may have depressed magnesium uptake (if I remember correctly).
Hence the browning along the edge (iron toxicity) and the green triangle (magnesium deficiency).
The brown sections should be crisp to the touch. If not, you might have something else.
Another pleasant fruit is the soursop, Annona muricata. It flavors ice cream exquisitely.

o

ronalawn82
thanks for your valuable information, time to look for Magnesium supplement for my tree

i will keep you updated

ps. never heard or see the soursop on Wikipedia the tree looks way richer than Sugar Apple does the fruit taste like Sugar apple ?

o

khourshed, the texture is creamy rather than grainy.
Here!

o

Khourshed, and also Here!

o

BTW, those yellowing leaves are not needed to be there. I would trim all of them. they are not functioning anymore. Also, prune any new branching starting at the bottom. You already have three branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here