Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some myths about fertilizer

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 5B (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 22:00

The purpose of this discussion is to talk about some common myths about fertilizers in general. This is not the first post or time this has been talked about on here, but I would like to discuss and display it even further.

The first myth is bloom boosters. I used to really think that they had to work, but I was in fact very wrong. If plants are getting enough phosphorus as it is adding more will harm then do good.

The next is the common myth that to grow a plant or crop to it's full potential organics must be used. From a nutritional standpoint this is a big myth. As I learned on here from some very informative posters- plants can't in fact tell the difference from organic or synthetic fertilizer. Plants can only uptake elements in soluble form. At that point the element in which the plant is uptaking is the same element whether it came from an organic or synthetic source

I would like to here from anyone that has anything to add. I posted this to try to learn more about it.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some myths about fertilizer

I guess this is just old news anymore... :)

o

At the end of the day you had learned something, which is NEW to you.

Whats new today for this reader and as you said about one fert VS another fert resulting in the same old same is correct.

o

Any plant nutrient can be a booster if it's in short supply in the soil. Throwing extra nitrogen into the soil can boost green shoot growth when the plant has already used up much of the available nitrogen in the soil.

Plant scientists have been saying it for a long time. Certain substances are limiting in plant growth. If there is a shortage of nitrogen or potassium or calcium, the plant won't grow to its full potential. Plant scientists never said that these nutrients were pixie dust. The correct amount for the plant is enough. More than enough does not help, and at some point begins to hurt. That's all you need to know.

Nutrients may also be leached out of the soil, or be tied up by pH levels. Plants also need certain physical factors, like soil structure. But as far as nutrients go, always make sure the plant has enough of each - then have a cup of coffee. There are no secret ingredients, and more is not better.

o

Thanks guys for the response. Great addition.

o

TheMasterGardener1, I follow this guy.
Liebig.

o

Yes the father of the fertilizer industry! ;)

o

LOL,

There are alot of secret ingredients. In fact, the secretes are so well kept, I don�t even know one of them. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here